Is the Honor 8 camera setup the same as the P9's?

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I have read all the specs, they both have dual camera setups - one RGB one Monochrome. I know the P9 has Leica "branding" and Honor does not. My question is this - do both phones post process the same way? i.e., merge the black and white and color photos to produce greater detail? I read a few reports that the Honor 8 does not quite use the dual lens setup the same way as the P9 and only uses the second lens for depth perception. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Camera would be the only reason for me to buy an Honor 8 (I currently have the Note 7), so this is important to me. Thanks a lot,

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone knows yet for certain. From early reviews, everything seems the same besides the Honor 8 having fewer manual controls (which is why it would not be "Leica spec", as they had nothing to do with the hardware, just certain software controls).

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
After seeing my friends S7 camera in action this week (supposedly the same camera is in the Note 7), it would be tough for the Honor 8 to match or exceed it. The features available in the camera along with the quality of pictures are pretty stellar. But again it's twice the cost of the Honor.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I closely follow Juan Bagnell's camera reviews, he does a great job. He says the Honor 8 has pretty much the same quality system as the P9 for stills. Video seems to be disappointing.

Huawei Honor 8 Camera Review: Crazy photos for the price! | Pocketnow

Yes, I had the S7 Edge, then the S7 and now the Note 7. As Samsung always does during the course of the year, they have refined the post processing on the Note 7, and the camera is outstanding, especially in pro mode.

Last edited:

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I closely follow Juan Bagnell's camera reviews, he does a great job. He says the Honor 8 has pretty much the same quality system as the P9 for stills. Video seems to be disappointing.

Huawei Honor 8 Camera Review: Crazy photos for the price! | Pocketnow

Yes, I had the S7 Edge, then the S7 and now the Note 7. As Samsung always does, they have refined the post processing on the Note 7, and the camera is outstanding, especially in pro mode.
It seems like video is the only weak point for this phone. To me, that's a non-issue but I can get how this can be an issue for people.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Frankly shooting video with a smartphone can be a chore (for me it is most times)
I have a smoothee (steadicam) for smartphone videos anyway.
For me video capabilities are way down on list.

I've got phones that shoot 4K and have barely used the feature.
For me still shots are where it's at.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
It seems like video is the only weak point for this phone. To me, that's a non-issue but I can get how this can be an issue for people.

Yeah, I can care less about front camera (don't do selfies) or video quality on any phone. Still photos are what I am after.

Looks like Huawei pulled off a magic trick: build a great still camera in a $350 phone that you have to pay ~$800 to get elsewhere (Samsung).

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
They are awesome. The more I see, the more I wanna preorder. Probably from B&H though, sorry HiHonor...lol

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I can care less about front camera (don't do selfies) or video quality on any phone. Still photos are what I am after.

Looks like Huawei pulled off a magic trick: build a great still camera in a $350 phone that you have to pay ~$800 to get elsewhere (Samsung).
It isn't meant to directly compete with Samsung note 7 but more in the range of op3 and axon 7. If it can beat those then it would be pretty good in my book

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking the non-color sensor is used to deepen the sharpness of photos also.

I believe it was the pocketnow camera review for the 8 talking about shooting in black and white and the difference with processing desaturated color photos over true non RGB pictures.
True black and white pics with no RGB information in the picture would be a big deal for me.
I really like shooting in B&W a lot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc