Will you be upgrading to the Honor 8?

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The Honor 8 has made quite a splash on the tech world. Will you be upgrading?

Voice your opinion in the comments below.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would consider it if Verizon forcefully kicked me off the 100gb of unrestricted data for $30 plan.

For now contract phones are cheap (note 7 for $80 after promotions) so for me, it isn't worth it at the moment since the un subsidized honor 8 would cost a lot more, not mention, not work on Verizon.

But should they kick me off my current plan then the honor 8 would be high on my list

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I already did and I have ordered mine. The Android Central review (finally! lol) has sealed the deal for me.

Honor 8 review: A new competitor in the U.S. | Android Central
The proprietary charging is a downer since all my chargers support qc 2.0/3.0/Samsung fast adaptive charging. Charging at 5v/1a from these bricks would be very slow.

The Honor 8 doesn't offer wireless charging despite its glass back, but does work with its own proprietary quick charging solution that you'll only find from its in-box charger — using a 9V/2A brick that can add 45% to the battery in just 30 minutes. When plugging it into my Quick Charge 3.0 wall plug or Quick Charge 2.0 battery it would only pull about 5V/1A, which is rather slow ... a "standard" 5V/2A charging plug gave it the best speeds outside of its own in-box charger.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
The proprietary charging is a downer since all my chargers support qc 2.0/3.0/Samsung fast adaptive charging. Charging at 5v/1a from these bricks would be very slow.

The Honor 8 doesn't offer wireless charging despite its glass back, but does work with its own proprietary quick charging solution that you'll only find from its in-box charger — using a 9V/2A brick that can add 45% to the battery in just 30 minutes. When plugging it into my Quick Charge 3.0 wall plug or Quick Charge 2.0 battery it would only pull about 5V/1A, which is rather slow ... a "standard" 5V/2A charging plug gave it the best speeds outside of its own in-box charger.

You're right, that is a valid downer. For me, it's almost a non-issue because I have never tried a phone that has 3.0 fast charging. Fast charging is cool but I don't need the fastest speed. As long as it doesn't take forever, I'm good. I'm indifferent about wireless charging, personally. I doubt that I would be using fast charging all the time, just half of the time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You're right, that is a valid downer. For me, it's almost a non-issue because I have never tried a phone that has 3.0 fast charging. Fast charging is cool but I don't need the fastest speed. As long as it doesn't take forever, I'm good. I'm indifferent about wireless charging, personally. I doubt that I would be using fast charging all the time, just half of the time.
I don't like to leave my phone on the charger overnight... I will leave it charging while eating a meal or at my desk for a bit... And 5v/1a is super slow.(since I have qc chargers). It isn't the end of the world, but... It would have been nice to keep the same accessories.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't like to leave my phone on the charger overnight... I will leave it charging while eating a meal or at my desk for a bit... And 5v/1a is super slow.(since I have qc chargers). It isn't the end of the world, but... It would have been nice to keep the same accessories.

I get what you're saying. If I had the same situation as you, I would feel the same. Buying new accessories kind of sucks really.

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see more photos from the Honor camera before I make my decision. Also I'm a little leery of the EMUI software layer. I only upgrade my phone about once every 3 years so I've been reading and watching everything I can on all the phones in the $400 range.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see more photos from the Honor camera before I make my decision. Also I'm a little leery of the EMUI software layer. I only upgrade my phone about once every 3 years so I've been reading and watching everything I can on all the phones in the $400 range.
Having used the 5x, emui definitely isn't my favorite. But Nova launcher helps quite a bit

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor and XDA have a partnership, so I think it is possible for these things to come. There's already fonts.
Right.... I understand that but... Only time will tell how well supported it would be. As for now (or in the near future) I don't really expect a healthy developer support. Perhaps down the road though...

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The one thing about recent Nexus/Pixel phones that deters me from buying them is the lack of a microSD card slot.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
The one thing about recent Nexus/Pixel phones that deters me from buying them is the lack of a microSD card slot.

I have a Nexus 6P and currently have about 18 GB of free memory on the phone with a bunch of apps. I use Google's Drive and have backups, photos and downloads. My allocation is 115 GB and have maybe 3GB used. Only downside is you need a internet connection. You may need internal memory if you have videos stored on board.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes