Honor 8 vs iPhone SE: Early evening shooout

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I always compare every phone I get to my iPhone SE. I did a shot outside, and generally low light situations. In some, the iPhone SE pulled ahead. However, the Honor 8 held its own. For the sake of loading this thread, I'll break up the scenes.

(Honor 8 at the top, iPhone SE at the bottom)

First, the bookshelf. Both activated the flash here.

IMG_20160906_192120.jpg20160906_232136865_iOS.jpg

That time of early evening when the sun has set.
(Honor top, SE bottom)

IMG_20160906_192357.jpg20160906_232428064_iOS.jpg

Not quite low light, but not natural light either. This was to test the focus (not one for drinks, but was a good subject here).

IMG_20160906_192604.jpg20160906_232619007_iOS.jpg

And closing with the tree after the sun has set.

IMG_20160906_192833.jpg 20160906_232842543_iOS.jpg

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: If may I Add an opinion here: I read and saw the picture of -Honor8- on
ACentral it has cute looking, consumers could give it a try on. I might not
compared, with iPhone7- But can be competitive on mobile market

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
At the risk of veering off topic.
These days I judge other phone cameras against the the results I get from the LG G4.

The 8 looks slightly weak.
Then again it's all in the eye of the viewer.
I'm sure the h8 is suffering from growing pains and the after shot process will improve with subsequent camera software updating.

I imagine second party camera apps support the dual camera hardware on this phone.
Perhaps I'm wrong though.

I'm betting black and white photos from this thing are stellar!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
These days I judge other phone cameras against the the results I get from the LG G4.

I'm sure the h8 is suffering from growing pains and the after shot process will improve with subsequent camera software updating.

I imagine second party camera apps support the dual camera hardware on this phone.

Lg G4 had good shots but... It took forever and a day to focus in less than ideal situations.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Iphone seems to be the better one here but honor 8 isn't far behind
I agree. I didn't expect for the Honor 8 to be better, but exactly this. It's not all the way behind.

The Honor 8 sure doesn't do a bad job for the price!

Thanks for sharing your results. :)
You're welcome, seeing the shootout results surprised me actually. A lot of phones I have compared against the SE have looked really inferior.

I haven't tried black and white photos yet to say. In my opinion, it is seriously weak in low light. The picture with the couch shows this well, but the picture with the drinks is actually decent enough, in my opinion.

Also... Remember that both phones have the same retail price ($400).
Yes, this too, sorry to quote you twice. They also have the same 12MP, and they have the same aperture size. Can't recall the rest of the camera specs.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For me the biggest complaint is that it seems a bit noisy especially when you zoom in,for example, zoom into Minnie in both pictures... The SE shows it much clearer.

Without zooming in, the difference isn't that much.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
For me the biggest complaint is that it seems a bit noisy especially when you zoom in,for example, zoom into Minnie in both pictures... The SE shows it much clearer.

Without zooming in, the difference isn't that much.

I agree with you. I'm not one to zoom in much (just in general) so I should be okay.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. I'm not one to zoom in much (just in general) so I should be okay.
The issue isn't zooming in, but rather if you want to crop the shot... Especially if you are some distance away and what you want to crop is small.

It isn't a deal breaker by any means but just something that should be noted.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good to know.
As usual you are probably right.
I have been wrong plenty of times.

But in this case, I have used a lot of phones and the g4 has the worst focus time of any flagship that I have used by far, in low light motion. In other situations, the focus was slow but acceptable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89