Yet another area to tweak app/power settings

ranphi

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Just in case anyone else, like me, totally overlooked this area within Settings, there is a somewhat hidden (IMHO) area where you can go and make apps exempt from this phone's battery optimization. And this is NOT the same thing as going in and "protecting" an app from being cleared from the background.

Here's the path to the Settings area I'm referring to:

Settings-Apps-Advanced-Exempt From Battery Optimization-switch to "all apps" view

Once you go here and switch to the "all apps" view, you'll see you can go through your apps and allow/disallow an app to be exempt from battery optimization.

I totally overlooked this feature because I had never switched to the "all apps" view here. It defaults to showing you just the "allowed" apps and so I thought it was just showing me a list of the apps I had protected from being cleared in the background. (Stupid me). :p

I only just realized this after browsing through the XDA Honor 8 forums and seeing someone complain about certain apps not showing notifications on the Honor 8, even after protecting the apps and making sure their notifications were enabled. This setting was the thing that finally fixed the issue for the user, so it's definitely good to know these settings exist on the phone.

Just wanted to share the info.

HonorUSA_Noah

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Additionally, if you're waiting for an important call but your phone has low battery, enable the Ultra power plan in Phone Manager. This disables everything except essential calling, SMS and contact functions, prolonging battery life.

Open [click to enlarge] Phone Manager. Touch Battery manager > Power plan > Ultra and then select [click to enlarge] > Enable.

Touch Exit to disable the Ultra power plan and restore the original settings. (NS)

completetwitt

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Looks like a good tip, though it must have changed since the firmware upgrade. I'm now on FRD-LC9C 432B120 and doesn't have the option beyond Apps>Advanced.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Looks like a good tip, though it must have changed since the firmware upgrade. I'm now on FRD-LC9C 432B120 and doesn't have the option beyond Apps>Advanced.

That's odd, I can see it just fine and I updated. Hmm just realized that your update has a different number.

This is what I see following @ranphi 's directions.

Attachments

• 6847.jpg
    6847.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 12

markcwatson

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
That's odd, I can see it just fine and I updated. Hmm just realized that your update has a different number.

This is what I see following @ranphi 's directions.

ahh ok, mine is slightly different.. Settings-Apps-Advanced-Ignore Optimsation-Switch to "all apps" view

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Ah. I figured that unlocked phones should have the same software across the board but apparently not

I was looking on that willmyphonework.net site previous to the release, and there as at least 3 different variants, probably European, US/Canada, and China. At least that's what I assume the regions were at the time