Hey guys, about to unbox new Honor 8, any must knows?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys and Ladies,

Just left best buy. Think I got a deal on the Honor 8. $349.99 sapphire Blue. I've been reading about this phone and I've seen a lot about its altered Android UI. Anything or any tips on this cool device before I dig in? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanted something pretty fast as it will be both professional and personal type use. I figured 4gs of ram should make this phone pretty zippy? Am I correct to the expert users out there? Also just how different is this interface going to be? Good, bad, okay? Thanks again to any that does not mind sharing their experience.

Thanks a bunch,

DC

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
One last quickie... Screen protectors? Amazon? It seems this phone although specs out awesome is not known or spoken about too much. Hope I researched enough before I gave BB $350. They priced matched so I saved $50 from their current $399. Thanks again.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
So much to say. Only put it on top of textured things because this phone is beautiful but slippy and will slide off the table. Set up your protected apps so that you can get notifications (settings->advanced settings->battery manager).

Also you would want to set up your fingerprint because smart key is awesome!

This phone is fast and has very good battery life. I forget to close apps all the time and this thing just performs well. I never regret not closing an app. Also it has great connectivity, better than my iPhone SE.

$350 is the best price you can get right now for a new one first hand.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys and Ladies,

Just left best buy. Think I got a deal on the Honor 8. $349.99 sapphire Blue. I've been reading about this phone and I've seen a lot about its altered Android UI. Anything or any tips on this cool device before I dig in? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanted something pretty fast as it will be both professional and personal type use. I figured 4gs of ram should make this phone pretty zippy? Am I correct to the expert users out there? Also just how different is this interface going to be? Good, bad, okay? Thanks again to any that does not mind sharing their experience.

Thanks a bunch,

DC

Congrats!
You got a very good deal there at BB!
Myself I'm not a fan of page after page of icons or icons in folders.
Like many others I use a launcher over EMUI.
The honor 8 is very fast seldom a stutter with this one.

I'm sure reading thru all of the threads here you will get the hang of the phone with all the tips from others.
My experience has been excellent.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the great info guys. Very much appreciated. I can't seem to put the phone down and I opened it at 1030 central time this morning. I'm officially addicted to this device. So much to offer but the best thing I've found is that it's different and unique. Its not the same as the zillion others I've tried. I deeply dig different which to me is innovation. Yeah, this just became my phone of choice. Now it's gotta handle work and personal which I suspect won't be a problem at all

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
My home page for now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to role with the stock launcher it came with. I still have quite a bit of app organizing but for now this is what my home page is looking like. It'll change some but not much. I may add or take some apps but I like a simple home page with my most used apps. The rest of my pages are organized by category of their intended use. Functional interface like adobe, word, google keep and so on gets a page. Then my purchasing page, Amazon, best buy, and you get the picture. Music and videos get a page too. I had it narrowed down to the Nexus 6p and this one. Tried the 6p last night and actually loved it. It was hard to make the exchange. Tipping point for the exchange, no expandable memory which my price range was the 32g. It ate at me. My other phone is a Sony Xperia X 5 inch so the Nexus was the perfect opposite at 5.7 inches. Then I read a few negative reviews on this interface and made it even harder to exchange. That and it being so close in size to my Sony. I use a lot of space so I did it. My eyes are tired bc this cool phone has been a blast today. Only thing I'd change would be to have that 6p's resolution but 1080p is plenty anyways. Glad I made the swap. Anyone have any suggestions on a solid reliable all in one email app? This year is my first go around with Android. I was blackberry fanatic until I was forced to swap to the iPhone 5 original then apple exclusively up until February of this year. Gave Samsung several tries. The worst interface I've ever messed with. Sticky and choppy. Motorola is awesome, then Sony is overpriced but underrated and now the honor 8 a secret treasure among Android. Tech is fun but it's gotten expensive lol

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
My home page for now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to role with the stock launcher it came with. I still have quite a bit of app organizing but for now this is what my home page is looking like. It'll change some but not much. I may add or take some apps but I like a simple home page with my most used apps. The rest of my pages are organized by category of their intended use. Functional interface like adobe, word, google keep and so on gets a page. Then my purchasing page, Amazon, best buy, and you get the picture. Music and videos get a page too. I had it narrowed down to the Nexus 6p and this one. Tried the 6p last night and actually loved it. It was hard to make the exchange. Tipping point for the exchange, no expandable memory which my price range was the 32g. It ate at me. My other phone is a Sony Xperia X 5 inch so the Nexus was the perfect opposite at 5.7 inches. Then I read a few negative reviews on this interface and made it even harder to exchange. That and it being so close in size to my Sony. I use a lot of space so I did it. My eyes are tired bc this cool phone has been a blast today. Only thing I'd change would be to have that 6p's resolution but 1080p is plenty anyways. Glad I made the swap. Anyone have any suggestions on a solid reliable all in one email app? This year is my first go around with Android. I was blackberry fanatic until I was forced to swap to the iPhone 5 original then apple exclusively up until February of this year. Gave Samsung several tries. The worst interface I've ever messed with. Sticky and choppy. Motorola is awesome, then Sony is overpriced but underrated and now the honor 8 a secret treasure among Android. Tech is fun but it's gotten expensive lol

Yep, it is expensive haha.

Also, EMUI (the UI) has themes. If you care for the stock Android look, you can search emui themes in the play store and get the stockify theme.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...?id=uk.co.olabs.theme.stockify&token=5x-guOLz

Then you can apply it in the Themes app. I have used other launchers, but I keep finding myself going back to the default launcher. I love being able to hide apps I don't use, which you can do by pushing two fingers apart.

I'm lazy and I just use the email app, so hopefully someone can help you there with that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have several. Gmail, Outlook, AOL, Mail.com and Yahoo. I can't get all to properly load and sign in. A bit frustrating.
I used to use k9 when 9 needed multiple email sources. Not sure if it works for all of yours but doesn't hurt to try

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Another helpful hint is you don't have to have the carrier branding in the status bar all the time.

Settings > Notification Panel > Show carrier name

Offers a cleaner look IMO.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any suggestions on a solid reliable all in one email app?

My current e-mail choice for Android is Aquamail (Pro version).
I've stayed with it the longest because of it's security features and customization options.

Bluemail and Cloudmagic are other clients I've used in the past.
Good luck on the search.
The choices are many.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Day #2 with the Honor 8.

Just got to finished watching a movie. The Avengers. I do miss the real estate on my Nexus 6p but still, the movie was easy to watch and the 1080p was perfect. My poor Sony Xperia X has fast become an afterthought lol. I found a perfect case on Amazon and I also ordered the full protection kit from Skinomi that covers the screen, all sides, top, bottom and both sides and the back. I'll install that then add my Red very slim profile case and be set.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Another helpful hint is you don't have to have the carrier branding in the status bar all the time.

Settings > Notification Panel > Show carrier name

Offers a cleaner look IMO.

I guess they did it this way to make it more iphone esque

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Day #2 with the Honor 8.

Let me screen shot it real quick. It comes in several colors. This shade of red I'm getting will be somewhat like my fav...spiderman. Red case against the blue color phone. That rocks to me.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Day #2 with the Honor 8.

1475433043099.jpg

I like the exposed top and bottom. Plus this is the slimmest case I could locate. I do not like bulky cases and wouldn't even use one but this phone is as slippery as water.