It's too hard and it took too long...

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
...for me to finally decide which phone to buy after 2 months of countless hours reading reviews and opinions on various forums. All my phones are hand me downs- the iphone 3G and samsung galaxy S3- so when the latter started sputtering, it was time to look for a replacement.

-First, the Nexus 6P- camera is great, still runs good but too big for this kitty's own comfort and price is still prohibitive for me
-Nexus 5x-no expandable storage and I think the specs are underwhelming for the price
-The Moto G4 plus and Alcatel idol 4s, affordable but for $100 more I could have gotten the Axon 7 which houses the latest and greatest, I actually pre-ordered it but got tired of waiting due to supply issues and so-so low light camera reviews,
- so, on to the HTC 10-even better camera but price is too damn high (looking at you Pixel, iPhone and V20)
-For some reason I wasn't feeling the OnePlus 3 even though they say it's a great phone but customer service issues turned me off..
-So it's down to the LG G5 and Honor 8.
-LG G5 was perfect! Camera is great (wide angle) and replaceable batteries! I didn't care much about the plasticky build quality or gaps. It was for sale on B&H at $479 but the reported boot loop issues and various software problems got me disappointed

Sorry for the long post. TL;DR bottom line, so many good phones out there and it's good for us. I got the Honor 8 yesterday for $350 no tax/no shipping with free goodies and I feel relieved of this burden. Let's hope it doesn't disappoint. It came down to the price, specs, camera performance (better than other mid-range gadgets) and it fits my old phone holster. It's shiny! Kitty cats lurvs shiny thingies! Meow! :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You could have waited for the Axon to go on sale... I bought one for$277. If I were to buy the honor 8 now I would buy at Amazon for$350 plus$50 gift card

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Congrats! I hope that you'll like your Honor. Since a case is included, you will be just fine because you'll need that to reduce that slip. It's probably going to be smaller than you are used to but if you have any questions, feel free to ask and/or just poke around these forums. You can learn a lot.

Last edited:

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Congrats! I hope that you'll like your Honor. Since a case is included, you will be just fine because you'll need that to reduce that slip. It's probably going to be smaller than you are used to but if you have any questions, feel free to ask and/or just poke around these forums. You can learn a lot.

I see what you did there..:p

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
You could have waited for the Axon to go on sale... I bought one for$277. If I were to buy the honor 8 now I would buy at Amazon for$350 plus$50 gift card

I liked the Axon 7, even over OP3 with the audio, quad screen, 2 year warranty and an amazing package included in the box (case, screen protector and USB-C adapter) that is why I pre-ordered it. But the grey version took so long to stock and handling almost similar 5.5 sizes, I realized I needed something smaller in my palm to work with. Also, indoor low light shots were not so great based from what I read; It seems the Honor 8 has the best all around camera picture performance within the midrange handsets.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I liked the Axon 7, even over OP3 with the audio, quad screen, 2 year warranty and an amazing package included in the box (case, screen protector and USB-C adapter) that is why I pre-ordered it. But the grey version took so long to stock and handling almost similar 5.5 sizes, I realized I needed something smaller in my palm to work with. Also, indoor low light shots were not so great based from what I read; It seems the Honor 8 has the best all around camera picture performance within the midrange handsets.

The honor 8 camera is a really solid camera in the price range, especially with the modes and manual control.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Well the Honor 8 has a nice build to it, its very hard. The battery is good, it can last all day. It will always leave you satisfied and smiling.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Good to see more people grabbing the honor 8.
I'm finding it a very good experience.

After using the 8 for 2 weeks I think I can finally put my LG G4 back in it's box 😢

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Good to see more people grabbing the honor 8.
I'm finding it a very good experience.

After using the 8 for 2 weeks I think I can finally put my LG G4 back in it's box

My old g4 bootlooped. And lg wouldn't honor warranty because it was the international version

Vanessa Lynd

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Ha.
I somehow forgot to ask, what color is yours?

Like my coffee- Black..because I never went back :p Don't get me wrong, they all look gorgeous, but for me white feels insipid, lifeless; blue is vain, self-serving and takes the attention away from me; now when I get my paws around this sleek, svelte and solid darkness materialized, I am anticipating something of a feel- like robust, mysterious, mature no nonsense "let me do all these things for you" all the while looking so damn sexy at the same time...it will be crooning Paula Cole's "Feeling Love" together in the kitty bubble bath..shame it's not water-proof...:(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a bummer Dan...

I wanted a really great phone to replace mine before it went south.
The honor fits my preference so well.

The g4 was the phone that I wanted to like but couldn't.hopefully there honor 8 works be tter for me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol