Another really positive Honor 8 Review

shea-bird

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Found a recently posted review that sings the praises we all know:

Huawei Honor 8 review | Android and Me

Having this phone over a month now, I am really impressed - especially with battery life!

UPDATE: My favorite Review outlet (besides AC :) ) recently posted a review as well. They also gave it prety good remarks.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10678/the-huawei-honor-8-review

As for battery life. I don't game on my mobile phones and that is the only area of weakness for this phone. For me I can literally get through 2 full days on a charge with 4-5 hour screen on time. To me that is ridiculously good. If you read anandtech's review, they explain why this is so (has to do with the kiran chipset).

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How does he define heavy use? I usually use around 12-13 hours SOT a day which is for me a heavy use case. The only phone that I have seen do this would be the Moto z Play, though it would be great if the honor 8 can do it. Just seems unlikely though based on what I have read.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Excellent review. I still wonder why Huawei/Honor don't include CDMA bands in the H8. A lot of potential customers left out.

I looked at a iPhone 7 plus yesterday and the build doesn't look any better than my H8. The big difference in the phones is $400+ in cost for the iPhone.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Excellent review. I still wonder why Huawei/Honor don't include CDMA bands in the H8. A lot of potential customers left out.

I looked at a iPhone 7 plus yesterday and the build doesn't look any better than my H8. The big difference in the phones is $400+ in cost for the iPhone.

The CDMA bands I believe require certain licensing, and it seems Qualcomm has that locked down. I think Samsung even had to use a Qualcomm modem in the S6 with their exynos processor to have it work on all US carriers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

if you are just worried about the build, get a iphone se...same price as the h8 and similar build to the iphone 7 plus. or get a iphone 7 which is a lot less than the $400 plus and same build, though obviously still more than the h8..

My guess would be that Huawei didn't want to get approval from the USA CDMA carriers. because it won't work on two CDMA carriers without explicit carrier approval. It will work on the third cdma carrier provided that it had the appropriate LTE bands, with an active sim card, so technically it could work, but that carrier won't activate the device without approval so...it's a hassle many customers don't want to deal with.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The CDMA bands I believe require certain licensing, and it seems Qualcomm has that locked down. I think Samsung even had to use a Qualcomm modem in the S6 with their exynos processor to have it work on all US carriers.

huawei has cdma in the 960 and it is a custom cdma solution, not requiring licensing from qualcomm. but most solutions will use qualcomm licensing for cdma.

i would guess that samsung didn't use a qualcomm soc in the usa s6 and note 5 because that year, qualcomm's soc didn't have the bp incorporated into their high end soc. meaning even if they used the qualcomm soc, they would have to have a separate bp. the year before and the year after, qualcomm did incorporate the bp into the soc, and so samsung did use the qualcomm soc in those years.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
huawei has cdma in the 960 and it is a custom cdma solution, not requiring licensing from qualcomm. but most solutions will use qualcomm licensing for cdma.

i would guess that samsung didn't use a qualcomm soc in the usa s6 and note 5 because that year, qualcomm's soc didn't have the bp incorporated into their high end soc. meaning even if they used the qualcomm soc, they would have to have a separate bp. the year before and the year after, qualcomm did incorporate the bp into the soc, and so samsung did use the qualcomm soc in those years.

Is CDMA an open standard? I would think not thus any solution would have to pay Qualcomm.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is CDMA an open standard? I would think not thus any solution would have to pay Qualcomm.

Depends on the implementation. If they used a Qualcomm standard such as cdma2000 then yes. But CDMA is used in gps for example,and that doesn't use a Qualcomm standard.

With regards to the 960, Huawei adds native CDMA support and doesn't need to be licensed from Qualcomm.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Think of this like Qualcomm quick charge which is proprietary technology. But Samsung has a compatible tech which is their adaptive fast charging. Samsung was able to essentially achieve the same thing but without infringing on Qualcomm ip. I would guess that that is the same thing that is happening here

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Think of this like Qualcomm quick charge which is proprietary technology. But Samsung has a compatible tech which is their adaptive fast charging. Samsung was able to essentially achieve the same thing but without infringing on Qualcomm ip. I would guess that that is the same thing that is happening here

Yet Samsung devices with their Adaptive Fast Charging are listed on Qualcomm's site as Quick Charge compatible.

(Same thing for Motorola micro USB devices that use the TurboPower branding)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It would also be interesting if Huawei discussed this with Qualcomm or if they did it on their own... Cuz if the latter then Qualcomm might sue them for infringement,especially in the states

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It would also be interesting if Huawei discussed this with Qualcomm or if they did it on their own... Cuz if the latter then Qualcomm might sue them for infringement,especially in the states

..or they have and it's already covered.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Thanks, I was kind of guessing on my explanation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21