Does twisting your headphone cable in the jack reduce phone life?

tunic330

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
So I just got the Honor 8 a couple of days ago and am loving it greatly. It sits near and dear to my heart, and because I'm on a 2 year contract it would be nice if the phone's still in perfect condition by the time the contract runs out (resale value).

Now I use headphones a lot, and on my last phone the jack broke after a while, meaning that you would only hear audio if you turn the cable pointing in the right direction. If my current headphones did not have a cable that turns 90 degress at one end I wouldn't be making this thread.

Now my question is whether it is bad to twist the cable when it is inside the 3,5mm headphone jack, or if it has no affect on the life of that specific part. I fear that by twisting the cable - rather than pulling it out and putting it back in again - I would break the jack and experience unwanted noise and such again.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It shouldn't make any difference, the metal contact slides on the metal barrel of the jack, just be gentle and don't pull it around using the cable....

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I've worn out more headphone wires than I've broken jacks. Something to keep in mind is the wires can be quite fragile, and in there's lint in the jack it can interfere with the connection.

anon(870071)

Trusted Member
Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
So I just got the Honor 8 a couple of days ago and am loving it greatly. It sits near and dear to my heart, and because I'm on a 2 year contract it would be nice if the phone's still in perfect condition by the time the contract runs out (resale value).

Now I use headphones a lot, and on my last phone the jack broke after a while, meaning that you would only hear audio if you turn the cable pointing in the right direction. If my current headphones did not have a cable that turns 90 degress at one end I wouldn't be making this thread.

Now my question is whether it is bad to twist the cable when it is inside the 3,5mm headphone jack, or if it has no affect on the life of that specific part. I fear that by twisting the cable - rather than pulling it out and putting it back in again - I would break the jack and experience unwanted noise and such again.
Great question I like you use it everyday for tunes and from personal experience the less you fiddle faddle with the audio port due to Its small size can break so I just plug in and remove one motion. Never twist or jiggle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12