How would you rate the Honor 8 on a scale of 1-10?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The title says it all - for the Honor 8 owners out there, how would you rate it on a scale of 1-10, and why?

For me, I've been pleasantly surprised. The phone is solid. Takes a beating, hardly any scratching or wear... EMUI has come a long way, the camera is decent, and that fingerprint sensor, yeah... so fast.

Overall I'd have to give it an 'Honor' score of '8'. How fitting!? :)

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I think 8 will be my score 2.
Apart from QHD for VR and slightly louder dual speakers instead of the rather muted single one, there's not a lot missing from the package.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I can agree with the score of 8 as well.

The speaker is a quiet one, but it's generally an excellent deal in the many perks it has.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say 8 is fair for retail price, mainly because the competition is so stiff in this range and both the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 have double the base internal memory for the same price. If you were to be able to get the 64gb for $224 during black Friday then that would easily be a 10.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I say depending what you paid for the phone...full retail $399 I would rate it a 7...Black Friday $250 I would rate it a 8.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been researching this device and it seems to be a solid phone and overall, a good choice if you're looking at midrange but flagship-esque quality (which the Honor 8 has in most areas) and a good bang for your buck. I'd say an eight out of ten is an accurate rating.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a HTC M9, A9 and Nexus 6P. From my perspective the Honor 8 is equal to the Midrange/flagship models and in many ways better. Build quality is superb. I like EMUI and really looking forward to the update 5.0. Only negative aspect is the lack of support for for CDMA carriers. I think a lot people would like to be able to pop a SIM into their Honor 8 for any of the USA carriers and the companies that resale there service. HUAWEI already sells the Union via Virgin Mobile. I give it a 9.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With EMUI 4.1, it was a solid 8, with EMUI 5, I have to say 9. It's smooth, fast, pleasant to view.

Emui 5 is still beta so I based it off of official current software . The biggest problem with emui 5 is battery life bug and no icons in the notification bar though supposedly that is changing.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Emui 5 is still beta so I based it off of official current software . The biggest problem with emui 5 is battery life bug and no icons in the notification bar though supposedly that is changing.

I haven't had battery life issues, not sure if lucky or doing something different. And the newest update brings back the icons for notifications, stock Android white as opposed to the colorful ones previously used.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had battery life issues, not sure if lucky or doing something different. And the newest update brings back the icons for notifications, stock Android white as opposed to the colorful ones previously used.

I had battery life issues the first day or two. Then it seemed to fix itself. I am running in airplane mode with wifi on though so that could be something.
I noticed the icons in the latest update.... Limited to five plus overflow though when there is plenty of room. It is a move in the right direction though.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mediocre battery life. Heavy UI layer causes occasional performance hiccups. Slippery, fingerprint-prone design.
So overall my rating: 7/10

I am not sure if it is a UI issue... I noticed that it sometimes has hiccups when things are running in the background though. This phone tends to throttle pretty quickly compared to others that would get much hotter before throttling.

ebrandwein

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So far I'd say an 8 leaning towards 9. What it does, it does very well. It's fast, smooth and beautifully made. From purely a performance standpoint, it is hard to beat it for the money. Fact is, it's hard to beat it period, even for more money. It's only downsides, from my standpoint, are the lack of an FM radio and no adoptable storage. And those aren't problems per se. They are design choices that I was aware of before I bought the phone. I haven't encountered any bugs yet which is a refreshing change from my previous phones. And nothing about the Honor 8 aggravates me either which is another breath of fresh air too. All in all, If Honor/Huawei can get good relationships with US carriers in place, they are poised to do very well with phones like this one.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've tested a lot of phones over the past year and half. When I say a lot like seriously over 10 devices. Some having had twice. Those were Samsung that I owned twice trying to force myself to like their software which is the worst on the high end market. The Honor 8 is easily equal to the iPhone 6s which used to be my favorite phone. I bought my Honor 8 for $349 and I should have waited and got it for $299 or went with the 64g. That being said and saying that it's equal to the 6s which is what $700 plus with 128g like I had, I'd rate this honor 8 an easy 8 plus or it may even pull in a 9 just barely. I have enjoyed Honor's software interface as it's a hybrid of Android and IOS which give the interface a smooth and seamless interaction. Performance is plenty good on this device and screen resolution is good too. I've not found one deal breaker on the Honor 8 and that's saying a lot going through as many phones as I have since leaving Apple last year. I can tell you I prefer the Honor over my Nexus 6p which is why the Honor is my main go to phone. I have two numbers so I keep two phones. At the moment I'm looking to replace my 6p with something else as I enjoy trying different devices. The Honor 8 is a keeper and it's refreshing and a nice change from typical Android and typical IOS. The 5.2 screen size can be debated but personally as a daily phone I wouldn't want anything any larger. I think they kept it 5.2 knowing that this size is as big as you can go if the device is to be practical for a daily driver. I know my 6p is hard to lug around and keep in my pocket. Personally my favorite size is 5.0 inches but the Honor 8 feels a lot like a 5.0 phone for some reason. For me to totally leave apple and to say this device is every bit as equal to the iPhone 6s is saying a lot from my point of view personally. I'm still a huge apple fan. No conpany makes a better tablet experience than apple hands down. Android phones that I think are great would be the Honor, Motorola and the Google line since Moto and Google keep it mostly pure Android. Samsung touch wiz is the worst choppy and sticky OK interface of all Android high ends. Anyways the honor 8 gets a 8 plus or a close 9 here for my vote. A big part of my vote was due to the software interface. There is simply nothibg on the market like EMUI and I'm one to promote different and unique. Honor 8 didn't follow a trend and made their software by using innovation and when I see or find that, I'm immediately a huge supporter. Being different and unique is who I am as long as it's done with taste and a lot of thought behind. You get that with the Honor 8.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Mediocre battery life. Heavy UI layer causes occasional performance hiccups. Slippery, fingerprint-prone design.
So overall my rating: 7/10

You must have a bad battery. My battery is the best I have seen. My phone is very fast with no performance problems. Try a case to counter the slippery fingerprint prone design. I have a IPAKY case that I got on eBay for $3.94 which included shipping and it provides excellent protection for the corners and back.

Matt Manahan

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll echo everyone and say 8. (Taking the price into account, I might say 9.5.) The only thing I realllllly wish were different is the speaker. Dual front facing speakers would be great. Better low light camera shots would be nice. Otherwise, no real complaints.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888