New Honor 8 has scratches UNDER screen and on sim tray

xRollingDave

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently purchased an Honor 8. While unboxing and inserting my sim card I noticed that the tray was already a bit scratched up. I didn't want to be too picky about it, so I tried to look over it. A day later when I wanted to install a tempered glass I also noticed quite visible scratches on the left side of the screen. Because I had the phone for only one day and haven't used it a lot in that time, I really wondered. After inspecting that with a bright flashlight I saw that the scratches are UNDER the screen and there's even a tiny dust particle UNDER the screen. I'm not sure how that's possible, since the screen and digitizer should be one unit. But it's definitely underneath the glass. Little dust particles above the glass and perspective make that clear to me.

I still don't want to be too picky and actually want to keep the phone, but these are already two quality issues on a brand new phone. So I'm not sure whether I should return this unit. Downside is that I got the device for a really reasonable price (270 €) and will probably lose a discount when I'm going to exchange (new price would be around 330 €). The scratches and dust particle under the glass aren't visible when the screen is turned on. What do you think about it? Keep and forget or probably having stressful times to exchange but *maybe* a flawless phone? :-/

O6fDuYt.jpg

e4o3OJX.jpg

jfeCK3i.jpg

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
That would drive me nuts.

Personally I don't like surprises when buying something that should be perfect and isn't.
Was this advertised as brand new?

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
If you have the proof of purchase you should not incur additional costs even if it was a sale/discounted price.
The sales contract has been broken as the device received was damaged on receipt.

RollingXDave

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Any update on this situation, OP?

OP here, unfortunately forgot my password, so I had to create this new account. After some toing and froing with the seller I got an exchange and also on top of that a 10 € voucher for the hassle.

So actually I should be happy. But I don't know if I am just out of luck or too picky, but the new (box sealed) device also had some dust specs under the screen and a tiny mark on the metal frame. Any way, I think I am going to keep this device now. Seems like there is just really bad QC on this device.

IMG_20170121_224522.jpg
IMG_20170121_224753.jpg
IMG_20170121_224416.jpg
212531484760882246.jpg

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP here, unfortunately forgot my password, so I had to create this new account. After some toing and froing with the seller I got an exchange and also on top of that a 10 € voucher for the hassle.

So actually I should be happy. But I don't know if I am just out of luck or too picky, but the new (box sealed) device also had some dust specs under the screen and a tiny mark on the metal frame. Any way, I think I am going to keep this device now. Seems like there is just really bad QC on this device.

I'm glad you got compensated for your troubles, but I'm saddened to hear that your new phone has a similar issue! I'm hoping they're not too noticeable, but like you, they will irk me if I know they're there.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That sucks. Personally I would get it exchanged especially for the dust under the screen. That would drive me insane

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
This is strange.
I would expect new in a sealed package to be flawless.

If the OP is happy there's little more to be said.
Enjoy that honor 8!

RollingXDave

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
You guys are absolutely right that I normally should exchange this device as well. And if I had ordered on Amazon, I would have done that.

With my seller it was quite stressful to do the RMA. I wanted to keep my original discount, but seller just send back my money (as gift cards -.-) and not a replacement device after he received my returned device. Then after several phone calls, I had to reorder for the daily price and after receiving the dispatch mail, I had to ask for sending me a credit to get my original discount back. All of that with many phone calls in between.

Good thing is, the dust specks are actually just visible under a bright light source when the screen is turned off. There is only one really tiny speck that gets visible when there is a white or greyish background. But even than it is more of a tiny bright dot and not a dark spot or so (kinda misleading in the photo). You really gotta search for it. :-D And for a price of about 260 € (~280 $) I am mostly satisfied. ;-) I also checked my previous phone, a Nexus, and even that is having some dust which gets visible under bright light (and the first Honor 8 had some as well). I think this could be more common than most people think.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
OP I had a pretty large scratch on my Honor 5X I just won and received. It came sealed like that. I put a screen protector on it and now I can only see it in the direct sunlight. My honor 8 was perfect rather both of my honor 8s as I have had two of them. These things happen from time to time and yes I believe it's luck of the draw if you get one scratched. Keep in mind which is what I have to do being as picky as I am is that "nothing is perfect". I'd definitely exchange the scratched model but the specs you see in the direct sunlight, 99.9 percent of every phone will have those. There is absolutely no way any factory can produce in mass these phones without micro dust fibers floating around that you can't even see unless you happen to be in direct sunlight. Those I'd just throw a tempered glass on and be on my way. Good luck.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
OP I had a pretty large scratch on my Honor 5X I just won and received. It came sealed like that. I put a screen protector on it and now I can only see it in the direct sunlight. My honor 8 was perfect rather both of my honor 8s as I have had two of them. These things happen from time to time and yes I believe it's luck of the draw if you get one scratched. Keep in mind which is what I have to do being as picky as I am is that "nothing is perfect". I'd definitely exchange the scratched model but the specs you see in the direct sunlight, 99.9 percent of every phone will have those. There is absolutely no way any factory can produce in mass these phones without micro dust fibers floating around that you can't even see unless you happen to be in direct sunlight. Those I'd just throw a tempered glass on and be on my way. Good luck.

Agreed! I am sure that my Honor 8 has small scratches too, that I just can't see - and I don't WANT to see them, either... ;).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463