Honor 8 vs Mate 9

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Concur, BUT I'm hoping it will get added now that we have the US release, and T-Mobile might get persuaded to work with Huawei to get it enabled. :)

Seems unlikely given that T-Mobile is suing Huawei for stealing proprietary technology and Huawei suing T-Mobile for patent licensing disagreement.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I think it's very worth it only if you keep two numbers. Meaning using both phones. I am wanting a Mate 9 for my second number. You're talking about two extremely different phones as far as build. Not internals. Both are near the same peak level performance wise but the mate 9 dwarfs the honor 8. I like to have one average one hander phone and one larger screen phone. The mate 9 fits that bill for me perfectly. I just don't know if I want to drop $599. To be honest compared to the honor 8, the mate 9 is rather pricey for Huawei. Hope that's not a soon to be reflection of what their pricing will be changing to. If it is then Huawei is no different then apple, google or Samsung. I'd strongly advise them to stay strong to their core roots in pricing. I guess the next two years of US presence will show us though. They re my favorite tech brand or company. Huawei, please don't let your head swell and try and compete with apple or Samsung. It'll be the worse mistake they will make. I assure you of that.

I have the Honor 8 and Huawei Mate 9. The 9 is best for me.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you, I was making the point that $600 is a great price for an incredible piece of kit. If we want Huawei to make better and better phones, we should expect higher prices than the honor 8.
Yes but is the Mate 9 that much better price difference wise than the Honor 8? I don't mean that rude, rather I'm seriously asking if it's justified by being almost $300 more dollars. If the screen size is the major difference than no justification but if the phone just flat out performs the Honor 8 then it's of course justified. I'm trying to debate with myself whether if it's a good idea or avenue for Huawei Honor who is branded as one company produce like two totally separate companies. I'm speaking exclusively of the Honor 8 which I own and use daily. Performance wise it's every bit as good as all the other flagships I've tested and I have tested just about all of them except HTC. That being said they avoid competing with themselves by Huawei producing higher price phones, however if Honor like the Honor 8 is close to or very near equal to the Mate 9 in overall performance and specs other than screen size then why is this approach they're taking worth it to them. Maybe it's selling more quantity and offering a variety at everyone's different budget. Lastly though I do commend both Huawei and Honor for producing two incredible devices that are on par with each other with one being almost $300 less dollars if that makes sense. I truly believe with all that said that overall Huawei Honor is in a very good position if they stay on their current course to become one of the top mobile companies here in the US too. By the way I'm dying to get the Mate 9 but knowing my Honor 8 performance wise is all I need, I'm having trouble justifying spending $600 on the mate 9. I do want that larger screen for my second phone but then I'm also wanting to wait and see what the future holds for the Honor 9 too. I still refer back to that thread with that had the interview with the CEO of Honor stating their core value is producing a top end device at a budget price. In the grand scheme of it all most flagship if not all are really overpriced if Honor can produce a phone such as the Honor 8 that runs from $300 to $375 depending the gig compared to the likes of google, Motorola, samsung, LG, HTC, and who ever else I'm leaving out. We as a market are overpaying if the proof is in the Honor 8 which in terms of real world performance as someone like myself who's tested most of the above said devices and I ( being part of the general market) use an Honor 8 over or as opposed to all those others at double the price. Either Honor is flat out a good deal with that part of their company not having a very high profit margin or the other hand we are grossly overpaying as whole for these others at $600 all the way up to $1050 around or so for almost an equal phone to that of the Honor 8. Do you guys see what I'm getting at here? Which is it? Honor giving away their product or are we overpaying for a product?? Love to hear thoughts because that is what it comes down to overall.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been tempted to pick up a Mate 9 also but like Dconn mentioned, I also wondered if the Mate 9 is worth almost $300 more than the Honor 8. I have absolutely no problems with my Honor 8 other than the screen size, have been using Samsung Notes and a Nexus 6 for the past few years and really have gotten used to the larger screens. If they, (Huawei / Honor), made a Honor 8 with a 5.5
"-5.7" screen that would be great. This phone has had the best cell antenna/cell signal of any phone I've owned in the past few years. I count on my phone working as a PHONE more than anything else. Tried the Oneplus 3 but I was missing calls and text messages more on that phone the any of the others.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
The mate 9 has the new Kirin processor which and EMUI 5 was specifically coded to allow machine learning with this new processor. I imagine the difference between the phones will become more evident once the phones have been in our hands for 6+ months when the mate 9 will likely out perform the honor 8 because of this.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been tempted to pick up a Mate 9 also but like Dconn mentioned, I also wondered if the Mate 9 is worth almost $300 more than the Honor 8. I have absolutely no problems with my Honor 8 other than the screen size, have been using Samsung Notes and a Nexus 6 for the past few years and really have gotten used to the larger screens. If they, (Huawei / Honor), made a Honor 8 with a 5.5
"-5.7" screen that would be great. This phone has had the best cell antenna/cell signal of any phone I've owned in the past few years. I count on my phone working as a PHONE more than anything else. Tried the Oneplus 3 but I was missing calls and text messages more on that phone the any of the others.

I agree - phone calls/signal have been better on my Honor 8 than on my LG G3. Calls that dropped or signal that dropped when I was out of town (with my G3) are now clear/present with my Honor 8. Being able to count on your phone to actually be a phone is wonderful and freeing - I can worry about other things and not about the battery, cell signal, etc.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
To be honest I'm not sold that the Mate 9 is worth real market value $300 more than the Honor 8 yet. I could be totally way off as I've not touched a Mate 9 but that phone better pack a powerful punch to totally substantiate and $250 to $300 price increase over the Honor 8. Like I'm talking about like I need to say wow! This phone blows the Honor 8 away and honestly I just from the articles I've read and what evers I've heard it does not do that. So it always comes back to this point simply put. Either we are getting the best deal ever on a high end flag ship phone at the moment or we all are guilty of grossly overpaying for 99 percent of other flagship phones. That's it. Simple as that. Lastly we all need to hope that honor doesn't get greedy bc we will see their prices slowly creep up to that of Huawei which honestly I would not be surprised one little bit. Big business and big bucks always seem to mess a good thing up. Everytime. If that doesn't happen Honor will be breaking history records bc it always happens.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
For me... 5.2" us too small. High resolution screen isn't always helpful 99% of time. It does mean pushing pixels and affects battery SOT.

Mate9 4000mHa gets me through a lot of always on use.

Looking at same 64GB storage is $419 so $180 difference, on Amazon today.

I have an S7 and DTEK60 that are 5.5" and the higher resolution but neither interests me, runs as smoothly or can keep up, and definitely not battery side.

Mate 9 is more comparable to my iPhone 6S+.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
For me... 5.2" us too small. High resolution screen isn't always helpful 99% of time. It does mean pushing pixels and affects battery SOT.

Mate9 4000mHa gets me through a lot of always on use.

Looking at same 64GB storage is $419 so $180 difference, on Amazon today.

I have an S7 and DTEK60 that are 5.5" and the higher resolution but neither interests me, runs as smoothly or can keep up, and definitely not battery side.

Mate 9 is more comparable to my iPhone 6S+.
$180 is not typical. It's more like $250 average majority of the time. I would love to have that 5.9 screen for my second device as my larger phone but I'm not paying $180 nor $250 for the screen difference. Battery helps too for sure but let's face it other than performance, these are two totally different phones that targets two totally different buyers in terms of overall marketability. So the segment of the market for a 5.9 in screen, market value may suggest or demand this price point where as a 5.2 inch smaller phone my demand or reflect marketability of much cheaper which I believe plays a pretty large factor here. I know there is no $180 nor $250 marketability supported difference in performance between the two so it's a apple compared to an orange and one side of the market expects the apple to run around price A. The other, the orange, the market who prefers to eat it over the apple expects to pay a price around price B. That right there is the only way to support the price difference bc performance isnt really a factor that is different enough to really come into play. On paper there isn't $250 dollars worth of difference but in the real world market expectations, there is. Has nothing to do with supply and demand either. Just pure marketability no different than what I do every day for living which is appraise residential homes based up on one of the factors of its marketability. Typically larger demands a higher price than smaller in just about all tangible items. So there you have it. This is the exact reason there is a rough average of $180 to $250 price difference which is totally market driven. One other factor here that doesn't come into play yet is brand name demand. Majority of mobile phone users could not tell you one thing about Huawei or Honor like they could Samsung and Motorola. It's simply what I've described to be the difference that determines the two different prices. Sorry that's technical but it's the honest truth and is a market driven fact.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Honor devices are priced cheaper because Honor is Huawei's budget and mostly online subbrand, it's like ZTE's Axon and Nubia lines where Nubia phones cost twice to three times as much even though they have similar specs.

JZ VR

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
$180 is not typical. It's more like $250 average majority of the time. I would love to have that 5.9 screen for my second device as my larger phone but I'm not paying $180 nor $250 for the screen difference. Battery helps too for sure but let's face it other than performance, these are two totally different phones that targets two totally different buyers in terms of overall marketability. So the segment of the market for a 5.9 in screen, market value may suggest or demand this price point where as a 5.2 inch smaller phone my demand or reflect marketability of much cheaper which I believe plays a pretty large factor here. I know there is no $180 nor $250 marketability supported difference in performance between the two so it's a apple compared to an orange and one side of the market expects the apple to run around price A. The other, the orange, the market who prefers to eat it over the apple expects to pay a price around price B. That right there is the only way to support the price difference bc performance isnt really a factor that is different enough to really come into play. On paper there isn't $250 dollars worth of difference but in the real world market expectations, there is. Has nothing to do with supply and demand either. Just pure marketability no different than what I do every day for living which is appraise residential homes based up on one of the factors of its marketability. Typically larger demands a higher price than smaller in just about all tangible items. So there you have it. This is the exact reason there is a rough average of $180 to $250 price difference which is totally market driven. One other factor here that doesn't come into play yet is brand name demand. Majority of mobile phone users could not tell you one thing about Huawei or Honor like they could Samsung and Motorola. It's simply what I've described to be the difference that determines the two different prices. Sorry that's technical but it's the honest truth and is a market driven fact.

The Mate 9 is also a better phone in every way including performance, if you do heavier stuff like photo/video editing on Lapse It/PS or even just saving recordings/audio in everyday karaoke apps you'll find Kirin 960 really is much faster processing wise compared to the SD821 or Kirin 950. Tech Zilla has a video comparing video processing speeds in Lapse It and the Kirin 960 is the fastest Android SOC. Better screen, performance, SOC esp. GPU, speakers, software (as of now), cameras, dual SIMs, mics, battery life, charging speeds etc., there is also a generation difference between the two, is it worth the 180 extra for all the upgrades? I think so.

edwin walke

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I think it's very worth it only if you keep two numbers. Meaning using both phones. I am wanting a Mate 9 for my second number. You're talking about two extremely different phones as far as build. Not internals. Both are near the same peak level performance wise but the mate 9 dwarfs the honor 8. I like to have one average one hander phone and one larger screen phone. The mate 9 fits that bill for me perfectly. I just don't know if I want to drop $599. To be honest compared to the honor 8, the mate 9 is rather pricey for Huawei. Hope that's not a soon to be reflection of what their pricing will be changing to. If it is then Huawei is no different then apple, google or Samsung. I'd strongly advise them to stay strong to their core roots in pricing. I guess the next two years of US presence will show us though. They re my favorite tech brand or company. Huawei, please don't let your head swell and try and compete with apple or Samsung. It'll be the worse mistake they will make. I assure you of that.

I have both and they are great. M9 price is a little high compared to the H8 but the 9 is one phone you hate to put down. Fits my hand perfectly. If you look at MSRP for each the cost of the 9 is very reasonable. Try one and your wallet may be lighter.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to move over to the Mate 9 myself coming up.
Goes without saying the 8 is nothing short of stellar.

I'm longing far a similar experience on a much larger screen that I can still pocket.
Looking around at other larger phones I don't really see a better phone than the Mate 9.

I certainly will miss how the Honor 8 looks.
A very fine slab to say the least.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
V9 looks very nice.

I want the 5.9 screen now and don't want to wait.
My honor will be offered on Swappa in a few days.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to move over to the Mate 9 myself coming up.
Goes without saying the 8 is nothing short of stellar.

I'm longing far a similar experience on a much larger screen that I can still pocket.
Looking around at other larger phones I don't really see a better phone than the Mate 9.

I certainly will miss how the Honor 8 looks.
A very fine slab to say the least.

"A very fine slab to say the least."

Best quote ever.

Let us know how you like the Mate 9! It does look awesome, for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy