I'm a die-hard Honor 8 user, but I just won a Honor 5x

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello

So I have been using the Honor 8 for quite a while now. Love it as I'm sure you may have seen my many posts here about it or to help others on it especially my love for EMUI 4.1 interface. Late yesterday I received an email from Android Central that I had won an Honor 5X! I had no idea that there was an incentive program where I was actually chosen twice to win the 5X. Has anyone here ever owned the 5X before? Should I use my free 5X as a back up or actually switch devices? I've read some pretty good reviews on it but am I 100 percent correct to say that the Honor 8 is far superior to the 5X? I'm totally honored to be honored lol with such a nice free gift from Android Central. I had no idea they kept up with all of our posts and information to enable one to win such a nice free gift. I'll be getting the 5X, Dr Strange Kit and a selfie stick that will arrive in a few days. Was curious of you guys thoughts between these two devices. Would it be with me reactivating my second phone number for the 5X? I actually had been in search of a device with a screen size of 5.5 to 5.7 ironically when I got word that I won this device. I'm super stoked but definitely want to get your thoughts of what I should do with my free gift?

Thanks a bunch to all

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I got a 5X a while ago, and it has been thoroughly unimpressive. Performance is quite sluggish, even when "protecting" apps from Huawei's aggressive battery-saving/RAM-cleaning feature. It sometimes takes about 3-4 seconds for the Play Store to open after tapping the icon. I'm not sure if Huawei is even updating it for security patches -- mine is still on the 5/2016 security update. From what I've read of the Honor 8, I'd stick with that one. Congratulations anyway!:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with the above. Poor performance and slow updates. I honestly cannot recommend it as a primary , there are better choices in the price range. Of course you got it free, so it's fine as a backup

Did you even get marshmallow on yours OTA yet?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
They didn't tell me what items I won :-(
Just that they needed my shipping address to send some prizes.

Oh did you win something too? Was it a Paul or James that contacted you by chance? They were really nice and said I was voted as a winner twice on the 5X. They said my posts and my thread starters were well written and those two along with number of posts and how I helped others with questions was why they chose me. I'm definitely going to use it as my back up phone as I keep two numbers. I was originally going to get another Honor 8 but in a 64g and pearl white as my color then I changed my mind and decided on the Moto Z Play instead. I had still not pulled the trigger for some reason as the Z Plays 5.5 inch screen was why I was going with it instead. Then I get this very unexpected email that I won the 5X which happens to have a 5.5 inch screen. Pretty cool irony. I was posting bc I enjoyed it and definitely wanted to help others with their questions or who needed advice since I had the knowledge so helping others is mainly what it's about for me. I found with thread stating it was bc I myself had a question or I engaged a nice intelligent debate which that is a good way to gain knowledge in itself, hearing different points of views on a particular topic or product question. I'm super stoked as I've never won a free phone before. I'll use it and test it out and write a short review on it on the 5X forum along with giving thanks to Android Central and thanks to Paul and James. I'm still in shock. In total I'm getting the 5X, Dr Strange Honor Marvel Kit and a Selfie Stick. Pretty nice package overall, especially that I had no idea that my posts were respected and even recognized! Even had I known I was being watched and evaluated for a prize, I still would have posted the exact same way as I never would have expected to win something. I'm a member of several forums of things I collect. Especially High End Swiss made Automatic Watches. I've been collecting and wasting lots of money on expensive watches since I was 26 and now I'm 41. My two favorite things I collect or enjoy buying are both tech devices and high end watches. I breifky owned a smart watch but it just wasn't the same high end quality of a fine Swiss made Diver or Chrono Diver on a awesome made bracelet. I've also tried out just about every Android flagship device since I decided to leave apple almost two years ago now. Honor 8 is a perfect hybrid blend software interface that offers the user both Android and an IOS experience at the same time. EMUI 4.1 is by far my favorite software. I also just purchased the Honor MediaPad 3 which is 4.1 too. It's an awesome tablet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
True.
I won't do any phone with 2 and 16 anymore.
Much too weak for my Android ways these days <<< (I rhymed there) :)

I am not against 2gb ram... I have used some that ran decently like the moto g4, zte zmax pro, ZTE zmax 2, Blu Vivo xl. In the 100-150 range, 2gb is what I would consider the bare minimum for decent usage, IMO. Of course if you can afford a little more then i would strongly recommend at least 3gb.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I am not against 2gb ram...

I wonder if 3GB of ram will be the new minimum for low-enders.

16 for storage is doable with expanded storage I think...low storage capacity caused me to take it easy with the apps and downloads.
These newer cheapies with better processors are getting much more pleasurable to use.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if 3GB of ram will be the new minimum for low-enders.

16 for storage is doable with expanded storage I think...low storage capacity caused me to take it easy with the apps and downloads.
These newer cheapies with better processors are getting much more pleasurable to use.

I think in the sub $100 range, we won't see 3gb ram for a while. But in the$150-250 range, I suspect that we will see more devices with 3gb ram.

16gb in internal is ok for light apps... Lots of apps and or large apps and it won't be enough. Most have SD card for media storage.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It was James that contacted me. I'm not complaining, I was really excited when I was told I had won something
It's a shame EMUI doesn't support adoptable storage, because with that, an SD card would make the 5x a much more useful phone. To be fair though, as a back up phone, I'm unlikely to take many pictures or install many apps. With backups, I tend to stick to text phone and email with little else to maximise battery life in my backup (tend to use them at gigs where I am worried my phone might get damaged).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It was James that contacted me. I'm not complaining, I was really excited when I was told I had won something
It's a shame EMUI doesn't support adoptable storage, because with that, an SD card would make the 5x a much more useful phone. To be fair though, as a back up phone, I'm unlikely to take many pictures or install many apps. With backups, I tend to stick to text phone and email with little else to maximise battery life in my backup (tend to use them at gigs where I am worried my phone might get damaged).

Camera wise it is pretty good, considering the price. It has the imx214 which is in the moto z which is$700. No ois though

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I've also gotten an Honor 5x from the incentive program. Was a pleasant surprise. And yes, there is a noticable difference between it and the 8, but it's not unusable by any stretch of the imagination.

Interestingly enough, since I also have a LeEco S3 as a backup, I've decided to tinker with the 5x. I decided to root it and load a ROM on it. Currently running LineageOS, and it seems to be a little smoother than EMUI, at this performance level.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I've also gotten an Honor 5x from the incentive program. Was a pleasant surprise. And yes, there is a noticable difference between it and the 8, but it's not unusable by any stretch of the imagination.

Interestingly enough, since I also have a LeEco S3 as a backup, I've decided to tinker with the 5x. I decided to root it and load a ROM on it. Currently running LineageOS, and it seems to be a little smoother than EMUI, at this performance level.
I might have to do this with a spare phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The hardware is capable of decent performance but for some reason the stock software is awfully slow

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys. Sorry for the delayed response. I've received everything but I've only briefly played with the phone. I'm so dead set on the Mate 9 that it made it very hard to want the 5X, however I'm still deeply grateful to those who chose me to win such a nice gift. I had no idea I was even in a contest to win anything lol. It came out of absolute nowhere. I was just doing like I always do which is posting either to gain knowledge or try and help someone. I'm honored to be honored :). Seriously ,:)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys. Sorry for the delayed response. I've received everything but I've only briefly played with the phone. I'm so dead set on the Mate 9 that it made it very hard to want the 5X, however I'm still deeply grateful to those who chose me to win such a nice gift. I had no idea I was even in a contest to win anything lol. It came out of absolute nowhere. I was just doing like I always do which is posting either to gain knowledge or try and help someone. I'm honored to be honored :). Seriously ,:)

It isn't a good choice for a primary phone for those of us used to using high end phones, IMO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke