Still no fix for auto-brightness :(

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping this bug would go away after this new firmware update to 7.0
The bug still exists with my Honor 8 after Nougat.

I'm going to seek warranty support from Honor.
We'll see how it goes.

All in all the 8 is great in every other area.
The auto brightness nag for me must be a hardware problem in my opinion.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping this bug would go away after this new firmware update to 7.0
The bug still exists with my Honor 8 after Nougat.

I'm going to seek warranty support from Honor.
We'll see how it goes.

All in all the 8 is great in every other area.
The auto brightness nag for me must be a hardware problem in my opinion.

I don't have this bug in Nougat. I did do a full reset though after the upgrade.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is this bug? Is auto-brightness not working at all, or is it doing something it isn't supposed to do? Does this happen when you use the camera, or is it the screen auto-brightness?

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is this bug? Is auto-brightness not working at all, or is it doing something it isn't supposed to do? Does this happen when you use the camera, or is it the screen auto-brightness?

In any lighting condition except full sun the screen dims to minimum when auto bright is enabled.
When using the phone in full sun the screen brightness will move to around 50% which is still too dim for full sun outdoors.

I must always remember to manually move screen brightness to full in sunlit situations outdoors.
This may seem like a small nag yet I'm finding it quite irritating when attempting to use the stock camera outdoors not to mention just trying read the screen.

I've tried holding the phone close to a bright light indoors and the phone refuses to adjust brightness with auto enabled.
Based on this I believe the light sensor must be faulty.

Been living with this since the phone was new.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ummm...
In all indoor lighting conditions I have this:
Screenshot_20170217-215131.jpg

Brightness won't go higher unless I manually slide it.
When in auto it will return to minimum after 10-15 seconds.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
That sucks man. Mine fixed with the update. It did really annoy me before the fix so I can understand why you are frustrated. The lowest brightness setting is too low in my opinion, even in the dark, anyway.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday as a backup to my gs7e. After playing with it in the dark I realized the brightness slider does slide all the way to the lowest instead of keeping it slightly towards the low end. I had this issue on my previous Nexus 6P as well. Not sure if other Huawei phones have similar issues but Huawei should really tweak their brightness sensing algorithms a little bit more.

southsam7

May 25, 2012
Visit site
There is no auto brightness in marshmallow or nougat. Do you mean adaptive brightness, or does your phone have a brightness feature added by the manufacturer? I find the "adaptive brightness" feature worthless and i turned it off. Still waiting for a good auto brightness app for android 6 and 7.

Last edited: