Rolling back to EMUI 4.1, my sour experience

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Sucks about the mistake but at least that are responsive and paid for overnight shipping

I agree! So far, their customer service has been great. We will see how long it takes for them to fix and then return it to me. They will get it tomorrow morning.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree! So far, their customer service has been great. We will see how long it takes for them to fix and then return it to me. They will get it tomorrow morning.

Glad that things are going well as far as their customer service/responsiveness is concerned! Thanks for keeping us updated! :)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Glad that things are going well as far as their customer service/responsiveness is concerned! Thanks for keeping us updated! :)
You're welcome!

Another update, which I didn't think would come SO soon. They have already fixed my Honor 8, and it is on its way back to me. I will receive it on Monday.

I'll let you all know how everything is with it when I receive it on Monday. I'm very impressed with their responsiveness. They sent an email saying that they recieved it, along with another email saying that they have shipped it to me via Next Day Air Saver.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome!

Another update, which I didn't think would come SO soon. They have already fixed my Honor 8, and it is on its way back to me. I will receive it on Monday.

I'll let you all know how everything is with it when I receive it on Monday. I'm very impressed with their responsiveness. They sent an email saying that they recieved it, along with another email saying that they have shipped it to me via Next Day Air Saver.

Wow that is to fantastic! Great news! And super fast of them, too!

AimD

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I tried to roll back from Emui 5 to Emui 4.1 last monday, following the official guide to the letter. All went okay until the last step, after trying to install the 4.1 ended up with my phone in boot loop, it wouldn't run the os, but didn't stay powered off either.

Managed to enter eRecovery mode, and the phone told me "data partition was damaged seriously!". It offered to download a recovery file, but couldn't establish wifi connection. I took it to a shop, and few days later received a whole new phone.

Super lucky that this replacement is "old" enough to still have Emui 4.1, now I'm doing everything in my power so it doesn't update to Emui 5, not anytime soon anyway.

Yeah. Rollback from 5 to 4.1? Don't freaking do it.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I tried to roll back from Emui 5 to Emui 4.1 last monday, following the official guide to the letter. All went okay until the last step, after trying to install the 4.1 ended up with my phone in boot loop, it wouldn't run the os, but didn't stay powered off either.

Managed to enter eRecovery mode, and the phone told me "data partition was damaged seriously!". It offered to download a recovery file, but couldn't establish wifi connection. I took it to a shop, and few days later received a whole new phone.

Super lucky that this replacement is "old" enough to still have Emui 4.1, now I'm doing everything in my power so it doesn't update to Emui 5, not anytime soon anyway.

Wow, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this nightmare. I'm so relieved that you got a replacement with the right EMUI though. Thankfully, we can always turn off the update notification if I'm not mistaken.

I hope to have the same story as you with getting the old EMUI tomorrow. We'll see.

AimD

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I asked the repair shop to install a 4.1 in case my phone needs a complete re-install, and they answered that they have orders to always use latest updates when performing repairs, so I expected to get an Emui 5.

But this is a brand new phone, not my old one, so they didn't do anything with the firmware. Hence Emui 4.1! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I don't think my phone was actually beyond repair, but I guess it's more efficient to hand me a new phone, fix my old one, and.. dunno, maybe use that as a loaner for some other client later on.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Looks like you have had quite the ordeal, as well! Glad you got a new phone and that everything is fine now!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this nightmare. I'm so relieved that you got a replacement with the right EMUI though. Thankfully, we can always turn off the update notification if I'm not mistaken.

I hope to have the same story as you with getting the old EMUI tomorrow. We'll see.

Hopefully everything works out for you!! :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, it did!

I got my phone back and its on MM/ emui 4.1!! So pleased. Major props to them for fixing my phone and returning it to me in great condition!

This is wonderful news! Congratulations! So glad you had a good experience!

BotanicalStig

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Emui 4 was definitely a bit more stable... After being on nougat for a bit I'm seeing less battery life and occasional to frequent app crashes. My Bluetooth doesn't work any more either... It will connect, but never lasts more than a minute or two. I've reverted to an auxiliary connection for music in the car. I haven't really experienced anything to make me want to rollback though honestly.

I like the new ui and features, it's just a bit buggy. Honor wanted to push it out quickly to keep the promise to owners of speedy updates. Which I can appreciate, I just hope they're working on a new build that's going to be more stable.

I still think they're the brand to buy. I'm sure they'll get us a fix soon enough, they've been great with support so far.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I read where some new Huawei models come with EMUI 5.1. So hopefully yes.

I always thought updating has its own extra hurdles v a clean build that dropped in.

ssapre

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What is your Honor 8 model?

Based on that you will need to download the system image appropriately. It's all there in XDA forums - links to official Honor 8 model images from Honor.

You will fall into this when you have the wrong system image. This happened to me when I downloaded FDR-L04 for my FDR-L14 model.

Also, at least US Honor support page does not have the images for the 64 GB model FDR-L14 and only FDR-L04 in their site which is ridiculous as it will fail when L14 folks restore with that image.

So I have 64GB device, FRD-L14. I was on B320 update using XDA forum instructions and then my business apps failed to install. I thought I would upgrade to B360 to check it and that when I realized Honor Support dont have FRD-L14 rollback image. I had chat with their support from the same page and to my surprise, official support guy told me that "Rollback image is USA all model". Only when he insisted to follow same instructions for FRD-L14 phone with assurance that he has a ticket# for me and if anything goes wrong he will release my phone a return ticket, I tried to rollback using official package (I thought its there for FRD-L04 only) and ended up on a M 6.0, EMUI 4.1 model, without a 'L04 or L14' number on it !! Next HiCare suite didnt show me any updates, system settings didnt get me any updates and I ended up using XDA forum proxy method to land to FRD-L14 B360 finally....

completetwitt

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I've had to fill back to android 6.0 due to poor battery life and the camera app crashing. I hope Honor fix this soon as I'm now on September security patch.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had to fill back to android 6.0 due to poor battery life and the camera app crashing. I hope Honor fix this soon as I'm now on September security patch.

Yup, I'm experiencing poorer battery life, as well - but I'm going to stick with 5.0 and hope it resolves itself over time with updates.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
After using the 8 on Nougat for a while now I'm neither here nor there about the update.
I will say if Nougat never would have appeared it wouldn't have mattered to me as long as bug fixes and security updates were offered in regular fashion.

Also I am seeing less battery time on the phone under 7.0 with regular use.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
After using the 8 on Nougat for a while now I'm neither here nor there about the update.
I will say if Nougat never would have appeared it wouldn't have mattered to me as long as bug fixes and security updates were offered in regular fashion.

Also I am seeing less battery time on the phone under 7.0 with regular use.

Security updates are the biggest issue, IMO. If they are important to you then you need to use the latest and greatest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol