Honor 8 after Nougat update - mini review

uw

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Reading this forum the last few weeks, it seems like I might be one of few that actually enjoy the update and EMUI 5.0. So, here are my quick thoughts on Honor 8 after the nougat update.

- Fingerprint scanner is faster. I notice before the update, there would be a split second delay with the scanner. It was accurate, but little slow. Now, there is no delay. It's almost OnePlus 3 fast, which to me is the fastest fingerprint scanner I've experience to date.

- Camera is also faster. Again, this was another area which was annoying. The picture quality was fine, but I always thought the shutter speed was slow. Again, a split second delay. But after nougat, shutter speed feels more acceptable. Not S7 Edge or OnePlus fast, but much better than before.

- Before the update, I was using Nova Launcher, because I really needed the app drawer. I can't stand having all the apps on the home page and then have to create folders to organize them. This is more of a personal preference, but now that the app drawer is an option, I have not needed to use Nova.

- Battery life has not been as good. But I'm wondering if it's because of Google Assistant. I just turned that off, so we'll see if the battery life improves. On 4.1, I had about 3 hours of SOT with about 30-35% still left when I went to bed. Now, I'm down to 10-15% with similar SOT and usage. So, I'm really hoping turning off Google Assistant makes a difference.

- To be honest, I'm not a big fan of stock android. I enjoy the various skins OEM puts on their phones. Some do it well and others don't, but for most part, I enjoy the features they add to android. But I am definitely not a fan of iOS. I thought 4.1 was little too much iOS, but the overall package of the phone was great enough for me to overlook that. With 5.0, it feels more android.

- I'm also getting that weird audio error message, but it doesn't seem to affect the actual recording of the video. Just annoying that it shows up.

Overall, I thought this was a great upgrade. For me Honor 8 now feels like a complete package. YMMV.

Davide Carozza

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
That audio error message pops up if Google assistant/the Google app has "Okay Google" turned on from any screen. Turn off that setting and the message goes away (though obviously the phone will no longer respond to the command unless you are in the Google app).

taxmandan

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
UW,

My experience with battery life is the same as yours. It is not quite as good as before.

Also, i like the update too. I like the notifications better even though I didn't think the EMUI 4.1 notifications were bad. The return to the normal android task switcher is a plus and android 7.0 features such as double tapping the recents menu to switch to the last app you used is super handy and one that i use almost every day.

The layout of the settings app is much better than before. Under EMUI 4.1, the battery/power settings were buried under the advanced settings. In addition, under EMUI 4.1 if you plugged in your phone at night, when the alarm went off in the morning, the dismiss/snooze control wouldn't appear on the lock screen because of a notification that your phone is plugged in and charging. That annoying behavior does not appear in EMUI 5.0.

I don't know why Huawei/Honor felt like they had to change the share menu from the stock share menu but it is at least visually appealing.

Again, I agree that it is a great update.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
UW,

My experience with battery life is the same as yours. It is not quite as good as before.

Also, i like the update too. I like the notifications better even though I didn't think the EMUI 4.1 notifications were bad. The return to the normal android task switcher is a plus and android 7.0 features such as double tapping the recents menu to switch to the last app you used is super handy and one that i use almost every day.

The layout of the settings app is much better than before. Under EMUI 4.1, the battery/power settings were buried under the advanced settings. In addition, under EMUI 4.1 if you plugged in your phone at night, when the alarm went off in the morning, the dismiss/snooze control wouldn't appear on the lock screen because of a notification that your phone is plugged in and charging. That annoying behavior does not appear in EMUI 5.0.

I don't know why Huawei/Honor felt like they had to change the share menu from the stock share menu but it is at least visually appealing.

Again, I agree that it is a great update.

I'm on 4.1, plug my phone in when I go to bed. Snooze my alarm every morning. I cant remember a time when I wasn't able to snooze it while plugged in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci