How To Transfer Apps To SD CARD In Honor 8lite

Kabeer Ali1

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I Recently bought A Honor 8lite And I Am Facing difficulties Trying To transfer apps to SD Card. It Has The Latest EMUI 5 and Android 7.0 But I Am Having A Hard Time Finding how to transfer apps to SD Cards. I have almost filled my internal Storage So I Bought 16 GB Card To transfer Apps But I Don't Know How ?
It would be grateful if you tell me how to transfer them to SD card 🙏
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Android Apps forum to the Honor 8 forum.

Not all phones support the Move to SD feature. If you can't find a Move to SD button for any app in Settings>Apps, then the phone doesn't support it. You'd have to root the phone and use an app like Link2SD or App Mgr III.

Does the phone support Adoptable Storage? If you insert a blank SD card, does it give you the option to format it as Internal Storage instead of Portable Storage?

Kabeer Ali1

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Will Rooting The Device Cause Negative changes in performance or future updates ?
If No Then Should An Average Person consider rooting or getting there Device rooted?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any direct rooting experience, but from what I know, it depends on how much you modify the system after rooting.

What about my other question -- does the phone support Adoptable Storage for the SD card?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, @orangecroc! So that makes Samsung, LG, and Huawei that don't support it. Lenovo does, but it seems their implementation is less-than-perfect, judging from the relatively common issues mentioned in these forums.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
The real world read/write speeds for sd cards aren't really consistent enough for app usage anyway IMO. It would impact the phones performance, and is probably why most manufacturers don't support it yet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also suspect that the inherent unreliability of most SD cards (even ones from prominent companies like Sandisk) makes companies reluctant to offer it.

Kabeer Ali1

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Oh It Doesn't Support Adoptable Storage
But my 2 years Old Samsung Galaxy tab 2 did
I Even Moved Apps To SD Card.
But It Was very unreliable And caused problems
It got bad to the point where it started Effecting other apps like YouTube
I Thought it was all my tablets fault but when I removed SD Card It Was stutter Free
Well That Explains why most Companies Doesn't Support It. Even Though I Have a Samsung's​ SD Card.

BTW
I really appreciate these forums
They make solving problems For An Average Joe a lot more easier
I really like your Co-operation
THANKS

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad that you find these forums helpful!:)

The feature you're referring to on your old Tab 2 is actually not the same as Adoptable Storage. Your Tab 2 was using the older "Move to SD" feature, which only moves a portion of an app to the SD card (usually just a data portion). Adoptable Storage means the SD card is regarded by the device as part of its overall Internal Storage, so technically the entire app can be stored on the card. But the disadvantages include slower performance (since SD read-write speeds are typically slower than for onboard memory) and higher risk of system crash if the card fails (due to the lower quality of SD card memory chips).

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Oh It Doesn't Support Adoptable Storage
But my 2 years Old Samsung Galaxy tab 2 did
I Even Moved Apps To SD Card.
But It Was very unreliable And caused problems
It got bad to the point where it started Effecting other apps like YouTube
I Thought it was all my tablets fault but when I removed SD Card It Was stutter Free
Well That Explains why most Companies Doesn't Support It. Even Though I Have a Samsung's​ SD Card.

BTW
I really appreciate these forums
They make solving problems For An Average Joe a lot more easier
I really like your Co-operation
THANKS
As others have mentioned Honor 8 (and any other Honor device) does not support adoptable storage and moving apps to external storage. Unfortunately there is no good workaround for this. This is the reason I bought 64gb :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So If I Set My Default Location To SD card
Will It Effect Performance?
If No Should I Do It If I Have 16 GB Samsung's SD CARD?

Setting the default location will most likely affect only downloaded files and possibly some data files that certain apps use. If you have a fast SD card, you probably won't notice a significant performance drop. But if you were to use a slower card as Internal Storage on a device that supported Adoptable Storage, you probably would notice poorer app performance, since the app would actually be running off that card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Setting it as default should be fine. Just remember that SD cards are not completely reliable -- they can fail without notice. Don't use them as your sole storage space for important data.

Kabeer Ali1

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I Mainly Have Music And Some storage From AAA Titles. AND Social Media but I don't think social Media Will Need A Lot Of Storage.
I Am In Highschool​ And Don't Have Important Stuff On My Mobile.
Sooooo I Am Going to set default to SD Card
Do you think it will be fine?