Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How is It?

So...instead of getting a new tab, I was considering this. How is it? And how does it fare with simple things like Youtubing, Netflix, Docs, etc.? I'm sick of Windows, so...how is...the OS itself?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Default Re: How is It?

I can't speak for the HP 11, but I can tell you that the Acer C720 works like a charm. Superfast startup, zippy performance (as along as you have a decent wifi connection). Perfect for web-based services, like the ones you mention. The HP 11 has a somewhat less powerful CPU, but the screen is supposed to be significantly better than the Acer's. And the HP just looks prettier, I'll give you that.

Of course, it won't replace everything a Windows machine can do. The main thing you have to ask yourself is if you need all of those things that Windows can do but the Chromebook can't. I find that I'm using my Windows machines less and less after getting the C720.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I can't speak for the HP 11, but I can tell you that the Acer C720 works like a charm. Superfast startup, zippy performance (as along as you have a decent wifi connection). Perfect for web-based services, like the ones you mention. The HP 11 has a somewhat less powerful CPU, but the screen is supposed to be significantly better than the Acer's. And the HP just looks prettier, I'll give you that.

Of course, it won't replace everything a Windows machine can do. The main thing you have to ask yourself is if you need all of those things that Windows can do but the Chromebook can't. I find that I'm using my Windows machines less and less after getting the C720.
    I was a big PC gamer, now, not so much. I tend to use consoles now. Aside from that...nope. I don't need the Windows things.

The best way to see if Chromebooks will work for you is to buy one from a place with a good return policy, like Best Buy or Costco, and use it for a good couple of weeks. If it doesn't meet your needs, return it. Even if you end up keeping it and find that it isn't the best thing since sliced bread, you're not down $400-500.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The best way to see if Chromebooks will work for you is to buy one from a place with a good return policy, like Best Buy or Costco, and use it for a good couple of weeks. If it doesn't meet your needs, return it. Even if you end up keeping it and find that it isn't the best thing since sliced bread, you're not down $400-500.
    What about buying from HP directly? Do you know anything about their return policy?

Sorry, not sure of that. Probably more of a hassle, though, since you'd have to mail it back.

Posted via Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Sorry, not sure of that. Probably more of a hassle, though, since you'd have to mail it back.

Posted via Android Central App
    It's an one hour drive to Best Buy. Do they have display models to play with?

They usually do, but you should call ahead to find out which models they have on display. The wifi at Best Buy is often pretty slow, so if you can tether with your phone's mobile data, that will give you a better idea of the performance.

Is there a Walmart near you? They have Chromebooks as well, and I think their return policy is also pretty good.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

They usually do, but you should call ahead to find out which models they have on display. The wifi at Best Buy is often pretty slow, so if you can tether with your phone's mobile data, that will give you a better idea of the performance.

Is there a Walmart near you? They have Chromebooks as well, and I think their return policy is also pretty good.
    Yeah...but our Walmart lacks selection. It MIGHT have it...not sure.

Just call them, or check walmart.com.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Based on reviews, it seems the Acer C720 is substantially faster. Is the screen really that bad? Or is it still decent?

I think it's fine. From my limited experience with the HP 11 as a comparison, the Acer's screen seems more matte and less vibrant. But it gets the job done.

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

LlamaGS - if you are looking for an introductory chromebook, I think the Acer C720 is your best choice right now. By contrast, if you are looking for a chromebook with a cellular connection, the HP Chromebook 11 is, at least IMO, by far your best choice right now, despite having relatively poor battery life. (NOTE - not all HP Chromebook 11 models include 4G LTE connectivity; some are Wi-Fi only.)

The general strengths and weaknesses of the HP Chromebook 11 and the Acer C720 are as follows:

HP Chromebook 11
    +Excellent screen quality (best outside of the Chromebook Pixel and possibly the soon-to-be released 13.3" model of the Samsung Chromebook 2)
    +Very light (about 2.3 pounds)
    +Attractive design
    +4G LTE version available
    -Relatively poor battery life (about 5 hours)
    -Relatively underpowered processor (still good performance though)
    -Relatively expensive for a 11.6" chromebook

Acer C720
    +Very cheap ($200)
    +Excellent battery life (roughly 9 hours)
    +Relatively good processor
    -Average design
    -Average weight (about 2.8 pounds)
    -Relatively poor screen quality

I do not own the Acer C720, but from my limited exposure to it, its screen is perfectly acceptable for a $200 laptop form factor device with an 11.6" screen.
    Android smartphones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 2
    Android tablets: Asus Transformer Pad TF300T 16GB with keyboard dock
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    LlamaGS - if you are looking for an introductory chromebook, I think the Acer C720 is your best choice right now. By contrast, if you are looking for a chromebook with a cellular connection, the HP Chromebook 11 is, at least IMO, by far your best choice right now, despite having relatively poor battery life. (NOTE - not all HP Chromebook 11 models include 4G LTE connectivity; some are Wi-Fi only.)

The general strengths and weaknesses of the HP Chromebook 11 and the Acer C720 are as follows:

HP Chromebook 11
    +Excellent screen quality (best outside of the Chromebook Pixel and possibly the soon-to-be released 13.3" model of the Samsung Chromebook 2)
    +Very light (about 2.3 pounds)
    +Attractive design
    +4G LTE version available
    -Relatively poor battery life (about 5 hours)
    -Relatively underpowered processor (still good performance though)
    -Relatively expensive for a 11.6" chromebook

Acer C720
    +Very cheap ($200)
    +Excellent battery life (roughly 9 hours)
    +Relatively good processor
    -Average design
    -Average weight (about 2.8 pounds)
    -Relatively poor screen quality

I do not own the Acer C720, but from my limited exposure to it, its screen is perfectly acceptable for a $200 laptop form factor device with an 11.6" screen.
    How much is the C720 4GB?

Global Posts
    996 Global Posts

The 4GB version of the Acer C720 is $250. However, it is very hard to find.
    Android smartphones: Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Motorola Droid 2
    Android tablets: Asus Transformer Pad TF300T 16GB with keyboard dock