Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jblather
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

Default TP owners using CM7 - I need a favor to ask you

I'm planning to install android to my TP but I want to be sure that its worth it so I need to ask you a favor that will make me decide to do it.

Unfortunately, watching Live stream sites like twitch.tv is very choppy with WebOS. With 3.0.4 it really got better but only at 480p but it still slightly choppy.

** On the other hand, watching flash from youtube runs smooth even at 1080p, I dunno why its only doing this with LIVE stream videos **

Earlier today, I went to best buy and tested out some newer android phones and tablets (asus transformer and acronia) and played some LIVE Streams. I tried 720p and I was actually surprised on how smooth it plays. It is like running 24 fps.

So it got me thinking that maybe if I installed CM7, I will be having that similar quality.

I watch a lot of LIVE Starcraft 2 streams.

Could anyone please test and see what its like to play 720p.

Please go here:

On the middle-right part of the screen you should see SC2 Video/Live Video Streams (examples are 'ESV TV's Stream, NASL.tv's Stream, IGNProLeague's Stream, and many more).

You can click one of those streams and just change the resolution to 720p and make it full screen. Please post your observations. If possible, you can boot to WebOS so you'll know the difference.

This would really be appreciated guys.

Thank you in advanced.

BTW, don't choose NASL.tv's stream because you can't choose resolutions more than 360p.

Default Re: TP owners using CM7 - I need a favor to ask you

Pretty choppy. right now.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably bump this thread when CM7 comes out from alpha.

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts

I responded to you in the other forum (Precentral). I forgot to tell you I loaded Alpha 2 from scratch onto my TouchPad.

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

do it you won't regret it

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

youtube sc2 casts are great and webos youtube is bad.

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM7 XRON 2.9.1

I too am a Twitch.TV fan (better than alot of the crap on TV). I find the streams are hit or miss, some days they are fine and some unwatchable.

You are probably better off waiting for a more solid/optimized build to watch 720p.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

Thanks for your input guys.

Hmm .. maybe I'll alpha 3 or beta as soon as it comes out.

Thanks again.

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts

When you install it, let us know what you think of it, coming from a webOS perspective.

For me, I miss being able to dismiss applications by a simple swipe, etc.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    When you install it, let us know what you think of it, coming from a webOS perspective.

Set to dismiss app with long press of back button and it ends the app.
    settings/applications/development.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

That and multitasking, otherwise I can't think of anything.

The much vaunted 'Synergy' doesn't really affect me.

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts

Thanks for the 'long press back button' tip. That has already come in handy! However, that action kills the app. I was reading somewhere that this is something that you don't want to do on a regular basis. I was hoping for something that was a little 'nicer' to the application. Again, thanks.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Thanks for the 'long press back button' tip. That has already come in handy! However, that action kills the app. I was reading somewhere that this is something that you don't want to do on a regular basis. I was hoping for something that was a little 'nicer' to the application. Again, thanks.
    I can understand what you're saying, however, I use it all the time along with Fast Reboot set to clear all non required apps every time the lock screen opens AND closes without any problems whatsoever.
    I do this for all my four Android devices one of which I've had for over a year.
    Just my experience FWIW.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Sorry for bumping this, it's not too old but somewhat, but I'm also curious to see how the progress has been going on CM7 for the TP. I'm a webOS lover but I like to experiment with new things. I've been following some of the progress on CM7 for TP but text can only tell you so much.

Is the alpha 2 safe enough to install on the TP without destroying anything? Is it worth it? Etc...

I guess, are people pleased with it enough to install it and is it 'fully' usable?

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpirog View Post
    Sorry for bumping this, it's not too old but somewhat, but I'm also curious to see how the progress has been going on CM7 for the TP. I'm a webOS lover but I like to experiment with new things. I've been following some of the progress on CM7 for TP but text can only tell you so much.

Is the alpha 2 safe enough to install on the TP without destroying anything? Is it worth it? Etc...

I guess, are people pleased with it enough to install it and is it 'fully' usable?
    I waited a week or more after the first Alpha, then I got bored one day and installed it,
    I was frustrated with android at first, I had never used it before, and it was kinda a pain
    to setup the way I wanted, I was able to learn enough to customize to my wants in about
    a week of casually playing with it, It's no ware near as nice or easy to use as WebOS or iOS,
    but the availability of Apps makes up for it.

As far as "safe" I believe it is, but you need to follow the directions, "READ" lots of reading
    read it a few times, print it out if you need, people are having the problems when they miss
    a step, forget to download a file, or put a file in the correct place.

The only big bug is the "S.O.D" sleep of death, the tablet goes to sleep, and cant wake up,
    so the tablet has to be rebooted, also the Compass and Gyroscope are not working yet and
    some Games / Apps need them.

The "S.O.D" can be worked around, with an App that prevents sleep, but your battery life is
    really bad, I get at most a few hours of use before it needs recharging, and a charge "might"
    last overnight with the touchpad just sitting there not being used.

I have seen in various forums a few things to help with the battery drain, but I have been just
    lazy to try all of them.
    Thanked by:
    jpirog 

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Yeah, I've seen the SOD stuff, which worried me a bit but not too much. Not a huge deal. I do have an android phone, because my Pre 2 was just not cutting it anymore. So I already know how to work android somewhat well. It's just I don't want to screw up my touchpad, but good to know it's safe enough to do.

Anyone else can chime in if they please. I may wait a little bit longer to see if they get a beta out or public release.

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpirog View Post
    Yes, I find it fully usable and well worth it. I have the Alpha 2.1 and I've had to reload it once, but it's been very stable since. I don't do anything weird on it, just normal apps, surfing web, etc. It's not nearly as intuitive as webOS, but it's sure been fun so far. I encourage you to load it up on your TP.

Over the past couple of weeks, it has become my main tablet OS, displacing webOS. It's not that I like Android better. I still like webOS more, but it's just fun using it and I'm so curious - there are so many settings. On top of that, Amazon gives away a free (normally paid for) app EVERY DAY.

Oh, and I have more than one TP. One is webOS only and the other is dual boot.
    Thanked by:
    jpirog 

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I was waiting for a more stable version to come out and noticed a second iteration had come out the other day. Install took all of 15 mins and I couldn't be happier. It's amazingly stable for me, tho I haven't put it through a bunch of tests, no SOD either in this second version.

When I first got the touchpad my wife was excited so she could watch netflix...when I told her she couldn't she replied 'if your alarm clock can do it (sony dash), then this damn thing should'. She is now happy with it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using

Global Posts
    466 Global Posts

I'm hoping that ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) comes out before toooo long. It will be more fun....
    atg284 likes this.

Question relating to YouTube on CM7: YouTube was working fine when I first installed CM7-A2 but today I have NO video, just sound, when using YouTube. Screen is black. Doesn't matter if from YouTube app or playing a link. Anyone else having this problem and is there a fix or setting I need to check?
    Thanks!

New version mentioned in this post... Is that the Alpha 2 version or is there another update beyone Alpha 2?

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

As of today, alpha 2.1 is the latest.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

As of later today Newest kernel (no more SOD)

The newest kernal for 7.1 A2 ! (supposed to fix S.O.D)
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    170 Global Posts

Hey guys,

I just need an update. Now that Alpha 3 is released, how is the playback for flash (on live streams) this time? Did it improve compared to Alpha 2?

BTW, is hardware acceleration supported in this new update? Or was it already supported in the earlier alpha releases?

I really want to try to see it for myself but I've been very very busy lately.

Thanks!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Some hardware accelleration is now in alpha3. I do not watch videos that much on cm7 but youtube video is fast and responsive and the quadrant scores with the new alpha build are nothing short of amazing.
    The only issues I have found with the new alpha3 build have to do with chainfire3d drivers and a few of the high end games currently out (shadowgun is now mostly unplayable) and I had to reinstall my chainfire drivers. News republic has some display issues but otherwise, this build is a major improvement over alpha2.1

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk