[TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP TouchPad

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP Touch

The novacom program is meant to be launched from the command line (The CMD programme in Windows XP terms).

When you double-click on it it will run but because it has nothing to do (it's actions are specified on the command line) it will immediately exit.

On my XP box I would:

-------------------------------------
1) Windows Menu --> Run --> Type 'cmd' <enter>

2) In the resulting box I would type 'CD C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc' to enter the directory (my directory is the default, yours may differ)

3) Then run the command as specified in the installation instructions:
novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller

Make sure you have extracted the ACMEInstaller file from the zip and it's in the same directory as novacom.exe, it should have no file extension.
k thx, will give this a shot

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

The novacom program is meant to be launched from the command line (The CMD programme in Windows XP terms).

When you double-click on it it will run but because it has nothing to do (it's actions are specified on the command line) it will immediately exit.

On my XP box I would:

1) Windows Menu --> Run --> Type 'cmd' <enter>

2) In the resulting box I would type 'CD C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc' to enter the directory (my directory is the default, yours may differ)

3) Then run the command as specified in the installation instructions:

Make sure you have extracted the ACMEInstaller file from the zip and it's in the same directory as novacom.exe, it should have no file extension.
ok, ran the command prompts and its stuck on the "hp" logo now for 10 plus minutes, is it bricked? or stll fixable? afraid to reboot back to "usb" mode. under my program files/palm, inc directory i have "novacomd folder, terminal folder, acme installer file, acmeinstaller readme document and novacom icon" that sound about right?

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

ok, ran the command prompts and its stuck on the "hp" logo now for 10 plus minutes, is it bricked? or stll fixable? afraid to reboot back to "usb" mode. under my program files/palm, inc directory i have "novacomd folder, terminal folder, acme installer file, acmeinstaller readme document and novacom icon" that sound about right?

That sounds about right directory-wise.

It shouldn't sit on the HP Logo for that long though.

Hold on, kid in bath ;)

(edit) Oh, and by the way, I don't think it's bricked (as in unrecoverable). The worst case is probably running the webOS doctor to restore the system. I've not heard of any bricks using this procedure, even when it has failed halfway through.

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

ok, well i was able to reboot just fine, looked into "idiots guide to install android cm7a2 on touchpad" video and i did everything just right. only thing i noticed different from the video was that the "novacom" file in the palm directory just says novacom on my pc but novacom.exe on the video. its still an application though.
i have 4 unzipped files on "cminstall" root folder of touchpad and the above mentioned "novacomd, terminal, novacom, acmeinstaller (unzippied) on root of palm, inc directory

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

ok, well i was able to reboot just fine, looked into "idiots guide to install android cm7a2 on touchpad" video and i did everything just right. only thing i noticed different from the video was that the "novacom" file in the palm directory just says novacom on my pc but novacom.exe on the video. its still an application though.
i have 4 unzipped files on "cminstall" root folder of touchpad and the above mentioned "novacomd, terminal, novacom, acmeinstaller (unzippied) on root of palm, inc directory

Just making sure, the files that go onto the Touchpad in the cminstall directory should be left zipped-up.

Only the ACMEInstaller file on the PC is unzipped.

Your novacom file is probably not showing the '.exe' extension because your Windows settings are set to hide the extensions. It makes not difference to the running of the thing.

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

Just making sure, the files that go onto the Touchpad in the cminstall directory should be left zipped-up.

Only the ACMEInstaller file on the PC is unzipped.

Your novacom file is probably not showing the '.exe' extension because your Windows settings are set to hide the extensions. It makes not difference to the running of the thing.

yes correct...zipped files in cminstall and unzipped in acme installer in palm file...i wonder if my 7zip program is really unzipping the files

gmen78

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

im ready to give up lol...at least i havent bricked it....i just had to be a nice guy and give the wife my asus transformer:'(

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

These should be in cminstall folder in the media/internal directory of your TouchPad (this is the folder that it opens to when you put it into USB mode)
gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
moboot_0.3.3.zip
update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip
update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip

My Palm, Inc folder(C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc) has these folders/files in it

novacom(folder)
terminal(folder)
novacom.exe
ACMEInstaller(file)

Go to your command line, and type in
cd C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc
so your command prompt looks like
C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc>

then you type in

15 minutes later, if everything is typed in properly, you should be booting into Android.
It won't take very long until you see 2 linux penguins and a script running similar to when you start up with an alpha kernel for webOS, ie F15, or F4.

Reactions: DeadVim

anneonn

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I've been reading all of the threads. I tried the install this morning. Think I did everything right, but TP boots in WebOS at the end of install process. I saw a short lived boot menu, so restarted again. All I see is a boot menu with:
Boot WebOS
Boot ClockworkMod
Boot WebOS Recovery
Reboot

Why won't it boot up in Android? [I just updated the WebOS, by the way, before starting this.]

When I connect via USB, I find that the android install zips are no longer there -- is that normal?

Luckily, my WebOS install seems to be unchanged, so I can still use the TP.

Thx, AnneOnn

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

ok, seems like it has installed the moboot and clockworkmod recovery just not the android system, its normal for the files to be gone because the installer deletes them after install, try running through it again and see if that works for you

anneonn

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the response. I've tried it about 3-4 times. Same result. I didn't see any error messages when installing (at least none jumped out at me as they flew by).

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

hmmm, well one thing to try would be to download the below file to the root of your touchpad then reboot into recovery (ClockWorkMod) on your Touchpad, select "install from sdcard" then select "choose zip from sdcard" and install the zip you copied to your touchpad and see if it will allow you to boot to cyanogenmod

http://goo-inside.me/roms/cmtouchpad/alpha2/update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip

Reactions: anneonn

anneonn

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Well, at least now I see what is going on. It doesn't like the zip file (the one you pointed me to or the one I downloaded earlier):
[RELEASE][ALPHA2][Discussion] CyanogenMod team Touchpad port - RootzWiki

It tries installing it:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted.

So now what should I do?

anneonn

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Okay, file sizes of the zip weren't right so it must have stopped copying before it was really done. I tried downloading the zip file from a different site and this time got it. I was able to install just fine. I now have Android on my Touchpad. Just have to figure out what I want to put on it now.

Thanks much!

jblather

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

The same thing happened to me. My PC downloaded just part of it. I'm glad I tried to verifiy the MD5 hashes of the downloaded files before trying to use them. I had to use a Unix box to successfully down load a couple of the zip files.

kannanp

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I got my HP TP 2days ago; arrived with wifi setup issues. No ROM doctoring could fix it. Instead of shipping back to HP, thought I would root it with CM. I am using a Tosh laptop i5, with Win7 home premium.
Novacom~.jar downloaded and installed with an issue. Novacom connects Palm(sees a palm device) but it does not install as a usb disk. I can not see the Palm hard disk, so I can not install anything. Is there a fix for Novacom... driver? Thanks.:)

cifu

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Followed the instructions and almost everything works flawlessly cept for WiFi. It disconnects after a while. It will scan attempt to connect and disconnects in an endless loop. The only way I have been able to temporarly fix this is power off for a very long time and boot back into Andriod. That fixes the problem for about 10 mins or so till it disconnects again.

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Followed the instructions and almost everything works flawlessly cept for WiFi. It disconnects after a while. It will scan attempt to connect and disconnects in an endless loop. The only way I have been able to temporarly fix this is power off for a very long time and boot back into Andriod. That fixes the problem for about 10 mins or so till it disconnects again.

that's just an alpha problem they are working on, I have the same issues as will everyone

Jman1313

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

It's not everyone. I have found it to be very router dependent. At home, I have no issues with wi-fi. I stay connected essentially non-stop, almost never needing a refresh. (Maybe once every two days or so). At work? I drop it any time the tablet sleeps for a little while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair