[TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP TouchPad

marcedhk

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP Touch

I got my HP TP 2days ago; arrived with wifi setup issues. No ROM doctoring could fix it. Instead of shipping back to HP, thought I would root it with CM.

That's a REALLY gutsy thing to do....I mean, if you can't fix it and then have to ship it back anyway, there's a risk HP may tell you you've voided your warranty...

gsmiley

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I noticed when I changed my router channel to 4, I didn't have any wifi issues. When I was at channel 11 I still had the wifi issue even after Alpha 2. I found this fix elsewhere.

JCochrane

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

I noticed when I changed my router channel to 4, I didn't have any wifi issues. When I was at channel 11 I still had the wifi issue even after Alpha 2. I found this fix elsewhere.

nice find, ill try that aswell when i get home

abhi633

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Excellent description of installation .. thanks .. All went well

hoose23

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone help with this problem, when i get to this step,'Now run command prompt as administrator on your computer and navigate to X:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/ directory and run command:
' the response i get it it is not recognizable as an external or internal command. Any thoughts?

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Can anyone help with this problem, when i get to this step,'Now run command prompt as administrator on your computer and navigate to X:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/ directory and run command:
' the response i get it it is not recognizable as an external or internal command. Any thoughts?

Just checking, the 'X' drive is probably your 'C' drive, this is where the installer puts the files on my XP box in any case.

So, in my case, I would open up the cmd prompt window and type this to get to the directory:

CD C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc

and then type the 'novacom' command

hoose23

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

Just checking, the 'X' drive is probably your 'C' drive, this is where the installer puts the files on my XP box in any case.

So, in my case, I would open up the cmd prompt window and type this to get to the directory:

CD C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc

and then type the 'novacom' command

Yeah thanks I ended realizing that, but after I type the command in. The tp begins downloading but then it says"initial install files not found, please download it from touchpad.linuxhacker.ru and put in sminstall(and it does say that,not cminstall) the name should start with update-cm and end with .zip"

so my question is i did put the files on the tp, but i did not extract the files, and for some reason my files dont end in .zip. Should I just add that myself?

never mind guys, got it working. great guide!

Last edited:

tjdalton

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

ok so I'm starting to get up the courage to run the CM7A2 install on my Touchpad, but before I do I have a question.

I'm aware that being an alpha build that there might be some issues running Android on the Touchpad...however...assuming the installation goes as it should, could there be any issues with the way that WebOS performs because of the other OS installation?

I mean I know that there's always the possibility that anything could happen, but has anyone reported issues with the way that WebOS runs normally after the CM7 install?

I'm just curious because as a computer savvy guy I can tolerate some glitches here and there as part of the nature of the beast, but since the Touchpad is technically my wife's I don't want to hear her complaining to me about not being able to use her TP the way she normally does.

Mr. Orange 645

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious because as a computer savvy guy I can tolerate some glitches here and there as part of the nature of the beast, but since the Touchpad is technically my wife's I don't want to hear her complaining to me about not being able to use her TP the way she normally does.

I'm in the same boat. It's my TP, but now that my fianc? knows how to use it she loves it with the exception of the occasional problems with the subpar webOS browser. Now I either have to boot back to webOS when I'm done or teach her how to run it in CM7.

Personally, I had no issues with the install and CM7 runs very smooth for me. I absolutely love it. Hooray for Netflix!!

Thanks to the OP for a very clear concise tutorial and a huge thanks to the CyanogenMod team for all their hard work. If the alpha is this smooth I can't imagine how much better the stable release will be and can't wait for ICS!!

jblather

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

I mean I know that there's always the possibility that anything could happen, but has anyone reported issues with the way that WebOS runs normally after the CM7 install?

I have not seen issues of any kind that affects the webOS filesystems. So, I'd say you're good to go. webOS doesn't even know CM7 is there and CM7 hasn't done anything to affect the way webOS operates.

However, I have read that files in /media/internal may get deleted during CM7 installation. However, I have not encountered this problem. So, back those up first.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I hear that, my wife uses webOS exclusively ... I installed the 2.1 Alpha and have had no complaints from her, not about the Touchpad anyway ...

I would say that the 3.0.4 'upgrade' does more harm to webOS than installing CM7. (Accelerometer issues, sound drop-outs, streaming video hanging and touchpad responsiveness for me ... And I've doctored webOS to 3.0.4 from scratch)

I have not seen issues of any kind that affects the webOS filesystems. So, I'd say you're good to go. webOS doesn't even know CM7 is there and CM7 hasn't done anything to affect the way webOS operates.

However, I have read that files in /media/internal may get deleted during CM7 installation. However, I have not encountered this problem. So, back those up first.

Yep, backups are always a good idea.

I have heard no reports of the webOS directories getting deleted if the 2.1 Alpha is installed.

akersraju11

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site

I attempted this but when i press restart And held the keys nothing happen now my screen is black and wont turn on please tell me you have a fix
:'(

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I attempted this but when i press restart And held the keys nothing happen now my screen is black and wont turn on please tell me you have a fix
:'(

Hold the power and home keys down, it may take 30 seconds to reboot.

New2TeePee

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I just installed CM7 Alpha 2.1 and the Android Market on my Touchpad. They both work great! I've been spending much more time on Android than webOS now :)

Has anyone installed the Amazon App store on theirs, and if so, how did you do this, and what are your impressions regarding the stability of the whole platform after installing it ?

Nate4s

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I just installed CM7 Alpha 2.1 and the Android Market on my Touchpad. They both work great! I've been spending much more time on Android than webOS now :)

Has anyone installed the Amazon App store on theirs, and if so, how did you do this, and what are your impressions regarding the stability of the whole platform after installing it ?

First of all, this is the greatest thing to happen to my touchpad!!! New2TeePee, the amazon app store is normally goofy and you need to log into your amazon account so they can email you a link to the .apk download. As far as the stability is concerned, it's flawless! All of the apps I installed work great!

Reactions: New2TeePee

jblather

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Installing the Amazon Marketplace is easy. On your Android, head over to amazon.com, log in with your account. On the left, click: Appstore for Android --> App. Then on the right, click "Learn More" under "Getting Started".

That page has detailed instructions. You need do this only once.

As for stability, I find CM7 remarkably stable!

Reactions: New2TeePee

New2TeePee

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys, that worked! This is awesome - now the Touchpad is probably the coolest Android tablet out there ;-)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1