Xron-ified Android (alpha 3) - INSTALL THIS!!!!!

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who are using alpha 3, you may notice a current slew of bugs and an interface that leaves a bit to be desired. Good news is, there's a developer who's been fiddling with the alpha and making it "better". Better youtube support, better video in netflix, better responsiveness, better support right out-of-the-box. Install this and you'll automatically have the right google apps installed for your tablet, e-mail will work out of the box (with notifications when you receive new email), google marketplace will work out of the box, google talk will work out of the box, the keyboard is more responsive, everything looks nicer (it uses a nice honeycomb theme), and battery life is significantly improved.

A bunch of apps come pre-installed and are set-up to work, for example the google apps, facebook, and a handful of other useful things. This means the device is pretty well ready for use out of the box without any tweaking necessary.

[vB1.2][CM7 XRON-ified][CM7.1 Alpha 3][Updated 12/7/2011] - xda-developers

Just do it.

(ASSUMING YOU ALREADY HAVE ALPHA 3 INSTALLED, OR SOME OTHER ALPHA ANDROID)
Step 1: Download the file at the link above. (grab the most updated version, right now it's vB1.2 as of 12/9/2011)
Step 2: Toss that file onto your touchpad (just put it into USB mode and toss it on the device).
Step 3: Reboot the touchpad into clockwork management.
Step 4: Perform a backup of your current device (there's a backup/restore button, make a backup - it'll only take a few minutes and it'll allow you to return the device to the way it was if you for some odd reason prefer to).
Step 5: Perform a factory wipe (the option is there in clockworkmod). WARNING - this will effectively wipe all your apps etc that you have installed and you will be forced to reinstall everything - demonhighwayman says you can actually install this zip WITHOUT doing a factory wipe and maintain all your existing apps etc, I have not personally tested this and cannot vouch for it - YMMV, upgrade without following this step at your own risk.
Step 6: Choose the install from zip option, and install the xron-ified zip file.
Step 7: Reboot into android and enjoy a superior experience.

It's the best android experience available on the touchpad at-present. Give it a shot and I think you'll agree.

Last edited:

Squatting Hen

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi ncinerate.

I have a questions:

On step 2:

When I put CM7 on the TP a few days ago, I had to create folders on it and put the files in them. Do I do that again in step 2? It just says to toss the file on the TP...but I am not sure if it is supposed to go somewhere specific.

Steps 3-6:

Once I reboot into clockwork management is that where I will find steps 4-6?

Thanks. I just want to make sure I know what to expect before I get started and then get stuck.

cgk

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
When I put CM7 on the TP a few days ago, I had to create folders on it and put the files in them. Do I do that again in step 2? It just says to toss the file on the TP...but I am not sure if it is supposed to go somewhere specific.

Anywhere you can navigate to in clockwork recovery, so you might want to boot there now and see if you have a 'downloads' folder or similar available - just stick it there.

maypo52

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A couple more questions...The factory wipe in step 5 doesn't touch the webos partition does it? And what happens to all of the apps I have already downloaded?

Thanks.

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Been playing with this for about 30 mins now and am happy. It seems to have speeded up 2D acceleration for me. My only little annoyance is the lockscreen won't go into landscape mode.

Also I found that I didn''t need to do a factory wipe, it went straight on top of A3 without any problems.

Vipor

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
What happened to any previously installed apps and widgets DemonHighwayman? All still loaded and active? Not lost?

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Everything I was reading said don't do this over a alpha 3 install that hasn't been factory wiped first. Factory wipe -will- eliminate all your programs etc that you've previously installed on android, but it will NOT touch your webOS partition etc.

Hearing you say that it -can- be installed over the top of a NOT-WIPED android, and that it maintains your apps etc if you do, actually excites me a bit (I had lots of apps and alot of themeing done before my factory wipe/upgrade).

I'll have to try restoring my backup and doing an install over the top of it just for giggles - would love to not have to re install everything :).

As for people asking about starting from scratch - At the moment my suggestion is to follow the basic tutorial for installing alpha 2 or 3, then install this from clockwork manager after that's been done. You still need moboot etc, so follow the NORMAL tutorial, then come back and install this :).

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It needs to go on top of alpha 3.
The steps are: follow a guide and get CM7 A3 installed (I can't remember all the steps but there are plenty of guides around.
Then download Xron-ified vB1.2. (sorry the link I had has disappeared now)

Put the file in the root of your touchpad and reboot

When the screen comes back on select "boot ClockworkMod"

Scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" & click on it

Click on "choose zip from sdcard"

Find the file you copied to the root earlier and click on it

Wait a few minutes and its done, happy days ! Please note that these are the steps I took, but it was recommended that you do a clean wipe first. Although it hasn't caused me any problems.....yet

Last edited:
Reactions: tsureshraj49

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
YES.. all seems very good!
I just installed Xron -V.B.1.2 over CM7 A3 and everything is still solidly there... + ALL the yummy 'extras'!

Big thanks & Kudos to the all the Teams!

Brilliant!

:)

Last edited:

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ta for the heads-up, I've been a bit blind to anything that isn't CM so I'm going to give it a crack later.

I would guess the CM team are now focused on CM9, and rightly so IMO.

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
"..What kind of extras are in it?..'

:::::::

adbWireless
Adfree
Adobe AIR, Flash, and Reader
Amazon Kindle
Box : 50Gb online Storage.
Craigslist
Documents to Go
ES File Explorer (this is a dependency for the HP Wallpaper app)
HP Touchpad Wallpaper Applier
Media Server
MIUI Music App
Photoshop Express
PrinterShare
ESPN Sports Center

Plus seemingly better touch response and a 'snappier' feel.
Still working out whether the video player is 'better' or not!
No apparent probs with Wifi - it connects.... eventually (ie. not as quickly as webOS!) - but needs reactivating at each new boot.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadVim

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
How to uninstall apps that came with this of I don't need it? Please let me know

Possibly in root explorer or by removing them from the package BEFORE install. Easier to ignore them.

One last thing, install wifi timeout (its free). It will allow wifi to timeout when sleeping. Improves my sleep battery life visibly.

Btw, I have no wifi issues. my wifi connects automatically at boot and never requires any work... I'm using wpa2 on my router but othewise I can't think of anything I'm doing different than anyone else. I wonder why some are having wifi issues?