[Help] Touchpad will NOT boot into recovery. What now?

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I was having issues getting my Touchpad to upgrade to 3.0.4 via Webos Dr. Every time it would get to a certain percent (maybe 40% maybe 80%) then give error "We were unable to reset your device. So I closed it restated the Touchpad and repeated.

I tried to just recover to 3.0.2 and the same thing. I tried a different computer same think.

The last time I tired the Touchpad shut down and wont boot to recovery.

I have it plugged into my computer and if I hold Power+Middle buttons I can hear my computer detect it but nothing happens.

Please Help!!

Should I submit warranty claim? If so do I tell them I was updating to 3.0.4 as there support suggested to deal with my rebooting issue?

I have been trying what is discussed in this thread.
[Q] Touchpad won't turn on - home+power doesn't work - xda-developers

Tired This and No Luck

1. Plug the charger in and connect it to your touchpad.
2. Press and hold home+power together for 1 minute. If no response, release, then hold both for 1 minute again.
3. If 2 does not work, keep the charger connected, release the buttons (2) then press and hold home+power+volume up together for 1 minute. Release, then press and hold home+power for 1 minute.

It should come back now. Let the charger remain connected to charge your touchpad until at least 50% charged.

5. Now download webos doctor from palm:
http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

6. After you're done downloading, go to the place where you saved the jar file, rename the file to zip file. Now double click the newly named zip file, find the file called novacomInstaller_x64.msi (for windows 7, if you use xp, find the x32 one). Extract this msi file out. Then double click the msi file. It should install novacom on your computer.

7. Change the name back to jar file (you changed it to zip file in 6).

8. If you don't have java installed on your pc, install it now. Otherwise go to 9.

9. Double click the jar file, select country and language then ok until the next button is grayed.

10. Assuming your touchpad is charged to at least 50% now, set it to usb recovery mode (press home+power, as soon as it turns off, press power+volume up until you see the usb logo).

11. Connect touchpad to pc now (with jar file running). Click next on the doctor (jar file) screen. Let it go through.

Last edited:

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you have another OS such as 'Android' also installed on the machine when you began Doctoring it?

Try holding 'Power' and 'Volume Up' buttons until..... You may get a large white 'USB' symbol on the screen.. then try re-doctoring to 3.0.4?

:)

Last edited:

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I had Android Alpha 3 on it but was having problems with random reboots in Android and WebOS. So I uninstalled Android and decided to update WebOS to 3.0.4 to see if that would fix the issue. This is when I ran into the problem of not fulling resetting my device.

Try holding 'Power' and 'Volume Up' buttons until

have done all this. If you refer to the other post I have been trying all the combinations.

Power+Home+Vol Up
Power+Vol up and Home (keep pressing)

I believe during the restore process with WebOs Dr it has corrupted the boot loader and the ROM.

Like I said above if I have the Touchpad plugged into my computer I can hear the ding that it recognizes that a usb has connected yet nothing pops up saying what it detected. So the Touchpad is doing something I just don't know what.

Also it would reboot anytime I was copying files to the SD Card. Large files that is. Such as CM7. The MD5 would change when copying it to the SD which also leads me to believe that the cable may be the issue.

Last edited:

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
OK.. well the first thing to check and try replacing would be the cable then.

How did you uninstall Android? Did you do it from webOS with 'Remove Android' and 'Tailor' Apps from Preware?
You may have residual partitions from Android still on the TouchPad?

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The cable is not an issue now as I cannot get back into recovery. I have another cable I can use if I get into recovery.

I used ACME UNINSTALLER to uninstall Android.

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
To my knowledge yes it did. I might of left some files on the SD card but the uninstaller ran fine. Once I was back to stock with no Android installed did I try to update WebOS.

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
OK.. Cool.. it maybe that Android is not fully uninstalled.

I just found this* combo of 'button pushes' etc, that may bring webOS back to life.. if not then somewhere @ Precentral (and I can't re-find it!) is also a 'walk throigh' on cutting into the Doctoring where it stalls, (@ 80% etc) with command lines that then restore the process. That may well be worth a go.

Meanwhile:

*'..
2. Press and hold home+power together for 1 minute. If no response, release, then hold both for 1 minute again.
3. If 2 does not work, keep the charger connected, release the buttons (2) then press and hold home+power+volume up together for 1 minute. Release, then press and hold home+power for 1 minute.

It should come back now. Let the charger remain connected to charge your touchpad until at least 50% charged.

5. Now download webos doctor from palm:
http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

6. After you're done downloading, go to the place where you saved the jar file, rename the file to zip file. Now double click the newly named zip file, find the file called novacomInstaller_x64.msi (for windows 7, if you use xp, find the x32 one). Extract this msi file out. Then double click the msi file. It should install novacom on your computer.

7. Change the name back to jar file (you changed it to zip file in 6).

8. If you don't have java installed on your pc, install it now. Otherwise go to 9.

9. Double click the jar file, select country and language then ok until the next button is grayed.

10. Assuming your touchpad is charged to at least 50% now, set it to usb recovery mode (press home+power, as soon as it turns off, press power+volume up until you see the usb logo).

11. Connect touchpad to pc now (with jar file running). Click next on the doctor (jar file) screen. Let it go through.

~~~

Good luck with it!

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I will try this when I get home tonight and report back.

In Step 1) do you want it connected to the wall charger or a PC USB? I have tried different button combos so if this doesnt work then what?

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The Wall charger until it is at least 50% charged.. then Puter for Doctoring..
Maybe worry about what to do if it doesn't work.. after it hasn't worked! :)

(Get onto PreCentral and find the thread I mentioned above!)

Good Luck with it!

Last edited:

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
If I do get it back into recovery. How do I get it to fully update in WebOs Dr when it was cutting out? Can you link me to the post you mentioned before about how to resume it? Thank you very much by the way. I will be home in 2 hours to get it working I HOPE :)

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Did what you said exactly 3x with no luck. Touchpad had been charging all day to. What now?

Last edited:

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
OK.. sorry that didn't pull through.
I'll see if I can locate that other thread @ PreC.. but quite honestly you stand as much chance as I of locating and nailing it down! I am sure it was in one of the many 'Doctoring' threads there.
Also, once it is fully charged try all of the above again.. twice! :)

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is a good question. Is WebOs Dr an official HP tool? If so if all else fails I will call up HP Support and tell them that I followed the support and now my Touchpad is not working.

Also please look at this, I believe this is where I am at and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me so maybe you can figure it out for me.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Last_Resort_Emergency_BootLoader_Recovery

Last edited:

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
WebOS 'Dr' is official HP/Palm stuff yes.. however if it is the installation or removal of another non HP/Palm OS that is causing the problems the support/warrranty you get from them may be limited.

I wil have a look at the link anyway.

Edit: Yes that boot recovery process seems specific to the 'Pre' Phone which has a different processor to your TouchPad so therefore is probably the wrong actual process to follow.

Maybe it's now time to get directly onto the PreC. (webOSNation) forum with your problem.. and access the wealth of Touchpad specific knowledge there?

I do wish you luck with it..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay