Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By scooby79
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HP Touchpad/Android won't connect to Wifi

Hi All,

I recently put Android onto my HP Touchpad. The first time I was using it, the wifi connected to my internet just fine. Now however, it sees it is there but just goes through the sequence of (Connecting...Scanning...Disconnected)

This has been going on for several days now. My computer and iPod connect fine.

Please help!

Default Re: HP Touchpad/Android won't connect to Wifi

You have to change the channel in your wireless router or access point.

Quote Originally Posted by picassokat View Post
    You have to change the channel in your wireless router or access point.
    My Touchpad has done the same thing. how do you change the channel either on the router ir access point?
    cgk

Global Posts
    7,709 Global Posts

Depends on what router you have - do you know the type and model?

This happened to me as well on alpha 3.5. I chose to forget my home network and when I tried to connect again it worked.

I have this happen a LOT in android ... basically in WebOS it works just fine ... so I have to periodically restore to a previous backup and it will work for awhile ... then it will go back to that problem again ... doesn't matter if I am at home on my own wifi or another location with access to wifi.

So I have as a temporary "fix" put the "working" backup on my laptop and when the TP writes over the backup with a bad one ... I just move it from the laptop back to the TP again ... a pain but it is doable. I don't want to change settings on my router because we have SO MANY devices already hooked to it ... and it has the same problem at other locations.

Hoping Ice Cream Sandwich fixes this.

I welcome suggestions ... as a note ... I am NEW to Android ... someone at our hackerspace put it on for me (I was watching but he went through all the screens really fast) ...

I found this on RootzWiki. It has worked for me when the wifi "hangs" (connects, disconnects) and is way easier than changing your router that the rest of your house is already connected to!

If you find that your wifi is "strobing" on and off, or you wish to completely wipe out all wifi settings, you can do this in one of three ways:

THE "RIGHT" WAY (USING ADB):

adb shell rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot

(this will remove the settings and then force a reboot)

[HL]THE "I-DON'T HAVE ADB INSTALLED" WAY:

From the Terminal app.

# rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot

(similar command as above. The # is a prompt-- don't type that part. If you see a $ prompt instead, type "su" (no quotes) and it should become a #)[/HL]
    I use the terminal app. If installed 3.5, it is a app that is already there for you. Follow these prompts, it will reboot then you will be able to sign back into your wifi. Good Luck!

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM7 XRON 2.9.1

I had several issues with wifi but after installing the they went away. It may not work for everyone but it is worth a shot.

The ROM is basically a customized version of CM7 for TouchPad that was already released. There are instructions in the above link on installation.

Quote Originally Posted by CTC PK View Post
    I found this on RootzWiki. It has worked for me when the wifi "hangs" (connects, disconnects) and is way easier than changing your router that the rest of your house is already connected to!

If you find that your wifi is "strobing" on and off, or you wish to completely wipe out all wifi settings, you can do this in one of three ways:

From the Terminal app.

(similar command as above. The # is a prompt-- don't type that part. If you see a $ prompt instead, type "su" (no quotes) and it should become a #)[/HL]
    I use the terminal app. If installed 3.5, it is a app that is already there for you. Follow these prompts, it will reboot then you will be able to sign back into your wifi. Good Luck!
    This terminal app worked for me! Thanks!

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts

I get "read-only file system" when I try this.

How do I get around that?

Alan

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ROM
    Affinity/Franco

If its a problem with your home WiFi a good work around is:

*select “forget network"
    *turn off WiFi then back on
    *reconnect to your home network

Its a pain but mine holds WiFi as long as I stay in range and stay logged into CM.

My issue seems to be with public access points. It give me a signal long enough to accept the terms for the network, then it losses signal. Any suggestions.
    Theres always something to look at if you open your eyes!
    -The Doctor-

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    I get "read-only file system" when I try this.

How do I get around that?

Alan
    this is the same thing I get (i'm using CM9). Any ideas??

I just recently had a really odd issue where mine would say it was connected, but not really connect.
    I booted into WebOS, found the wifi was off there, turned it on & connected successfully. Then I booted back to CM9.

Not sure if this helps, but maybe toggling the WebOS wifi flips something?
    This started after draining the battery completely for me.

Here's an easier way to fix the wifi loop: Reset your router by unplugging the power source for 30 seconds. My brother, a computer tech, said this method worked for his TP and it worked for mine, too. Good luck!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I lost connection for the first time in months. Haven't been able to connent on CM 9 for the last 4 days. I just tried :

*select “forget network"
    *turn off WiFi then back on
    *reconnect to your home network

Its a pain but mine holds WiFi as long as I stay in range and stay logged into CM.

Connection working great again!!! Thanks so much!!!!
    Thanked by:
    alexster2 and JWendt like this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9 ICS

Quote Originally Posted by CTC PK View Post

From the Terminal app.

Does anyone know if using this terminal method on a CM9 ICS / HP Touchpad dual boot system works as well?

@scooby1979: Worked for me! Thank you so much!

this is the same with me,
    I had a new tablet (hp slate) it connects fine at my dads house but when I go to my nans/mums/friends it says 'authentication problem'..the passwords I put in are correct..i really need help
    thanks guys,
    kels x