CM9 (ICS) Alpha 0 is out

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded it and installed it. It took me about 10 minutes total, including reading all the materials online...so far it works great! I just got the ICS Google Apps installed and I love the new Gmail app. Wow!

I'm currently working on getting the Market to install some of my app updates. We'll get that sorted out soon.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded it and installed it. It took me about 10 minutes total, including reading all the materials online...so far it works great! I just got the ICS Google Apps installed and I love the new Gmail app. Wow!

I'm currently working on getting the Market to install some of my app updates. We'll get that sorted out soon.

Sounds good, I've had to put my install on the back-burner. I'll be reading everyone's first impressions before committing.

P_Yiddy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Can't get the link to work. Guessing the site is being hit pretty hard right now...

EDIT - Got on after about 5 mins of trying.

crutzulee

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
This looks very interesting... So are you guys going with a total clean install or the acme 2 route to maintain data and settings?
With titanium backup having issues, I think I'll favour the latter. Of course I'll wait and see how some of you guinea pigs....ahem...I mean early adopters make out first.

P_Yiddy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
First impressions are fairly good. Most noticeable issue for me is the wifi which seems pretty temperamental. No connection error on the App Store is the worst offender.Normally gets resolved by turning the wi-fi off and on but right now it's happening quite a lot.

Default email app doesn't work either.

Apart from that it's pretty slick :)

Reactions: DeadVim

P_Yiddy

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
For the record, all I did use ACMEInstaller 2 to install straight over CM7. No factory wipes or anything similar.

Also used a separate GAPPS file to get the UK app store.

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, first impressions.

Holy hell does ICS run beautifully on the touch pad. Butter smooth and I love the new style and functionality. The most recent list of apps is particularly nice, shades of webOS... It also boots really really fast after the first boot. Notifications are great too - again shades of webOS. Haven't run into any trouble with apps either - runs Google currents beautifully, for example.

The downsides.

3 random reboot already. This on a virgin touchpad install. No warning, just an instant reboot.
Typing seems to want to insert periods after many of the words I type. This is making posting this very. Annoying. Maybe fixable with a different keyboard...
The touch pad. Doesn't. Seem to be. Charging. Properly. On the. AC cable. (See what I mean about the periods?)

I don't recommend this right now, but guys, when they sort this out its going to be fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I'm sitting here using this -knowing- that once the quirks are repaired I'm going to be using this non-stop.

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com
I'm going to have to do a fresh webOS doctor on mine. It won't do a factory reset within android, and I can't add any accounts. I think having two factor authentication for my account caused issues.

Video from mx video player seemed to work fine, but I only tested for a minute.

Very smooth though vs the default launcher on cm7.

Very rough too on features. PIN lock finally works, but the timeout setting is ignored for one. No dock yet either. But very promising.

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
LCD density at 130 seems to be quite a bit nicer as well. At stock 160 everything is just too big - including the keyboard.

Cranking density in the build.prop improves things.

DemonHighwayman

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
OK, first impressions.

Holy hell does ICS run beautifully on the touch pad. Butter smooth and I love the new style and functionality. The most recent list of apps is particularly nice, shades of webOS... It also boots really really fast after the first boot. Notifications are great too - again shades of webOS. Haven't run into any trouble with apps either - runs Google currents beautifully, for example.

The downsides.

3 random reboot already. This on a virgin touchpad install. No warning, just an instant reboot.
Typing seems to want to insert periods after many of the words I type. This is making posting this very. Annoying. Maybe fixable with a different keyboard...
The touch pad. Doesn't. Seem to be. Charging. Properly. On the. AC cable. (See what I mean about the periods?)

I don't recommend this right now, but guys, when they sort this out its going to be fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I'm sitting here using this -knowing- that once the quirks are repaired I'm going to be using this non-stop.

Double tapping the space in ICS is supposed to create a period. Maybe that is what's happening there.

ncinerate

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Double tapping the space in ICS is supposed to create a period. Maybe that is what's happening there.

Definitely not. I'm single tapping and just doing normal touch-typing and it's nailing periods on the end of words repeatedly. Doesn't happen if I go -VERY- slowly, but as I pick up speed it is everywhere. I am absolutely only single-tapping space, and it's very annoying :).

I wonder if there's a way to turn off the doubletap=space, maybe it's just too sensitive and registering my tap as a double-tap.

At any rate, a different keyboard should probably fix it. I just havent gotten around to installing one yet.

Sidenote - screen density = 149 seems like a sweetspot (same as an ASUS transformer). Looks great.

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way of having a dual android boot option,. Either cm7 or ics?
Thanks

The CM devs indicated that this would be possible in the future but they haven't disclosed the method as it's a bit beyond the average user (this is how I interpreted it anyway).

A tri-boot would be nice until CM9 gets more stability.

Much as I curse webOS (the browser and PDF reader more than anything else) I don't want to get rid of it, options are good :cool:

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Got the Market to work! It took a few tries, but since I had updated I had to format cache and system, etc. and start from scratch. Now everything seems to be working very well!

DeadVim

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
LCD density at 130 seems to be quite a bit nicer as well. At stock 160 everything is just too big - including the keyboard.

Cranking density in the build.prop improves things.

How are you guys changing screen density?

Regarding the DPI setting people should probably be aware of dalingrin's comments on the soon-to-be-monster Rootzwiki thread (yup, I've read it all :eek:):

-------------- Dalingrin Quote ------------------------
Folks, there are reasons why its @ 160 =P

The ICS launcher doesn't scale to non standard DPIs. Google's algorithm is really only meant for 160, 240, and 320

Also, anything other than 120, 160, 240, 320 will break the market. It will cause 90% of apps to not be installable.

This may not happen immediately but will happen to you eventually
-------------- Dalingrin Quote ------------------------

BakonGuy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Just installed Alpha0 today, gotta say I'm loving it. Everything is super smooth and a lot nicer than gingerbread (because it's actually made for tablets). The only problem I've had so far is instant reboot when I try to close some apps, one being Dolphin Browser Mini, which I use all the time. It only happens when I exit via the Menu button press > exit button though, so it's all good, I can just avoid that. Other than that issue it's extremely stable considering it's not even alpha 1 yet.

Edit: My wifi on the tablet acually did cut out once today like it did a lot in cm7, but it defiantly is a HUGE improvement over cm7 WiFi. That alone is reason enough to use this instead of cm7 on a daily basis for me.