Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jedinat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Default Android Apps in webOS!

Hey guys,

So I've been doing the dual boot thing with CM7 for awhile, and though it allows me to get so much more use out of my TouchPad, it's not ideal. Until just a few days ago, I had no idea that the ideal solution was actually already out there, just waiting to be implemented!

Probably the biggest news for webOS users to come out of this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas was the revelation that just before HP put a halt to webOS, a technology company named OpenMobile was engaged in talks with HP to implement a technology which would allow webOS devices to run Android Apps, and immediately eliminate the app selection shortage which many consider to be the single biggest obstacle to webOS growth. This technology, which was demonstrated live at CES, is in an advanced stage of development and only needs tweaks to be ready for deployment. It allows Android apps to run as a card completely inside webOS at 90% - 95% of native speed, and with this technology there is no need to install Android or dual boot!

Please take the time to sign the petition to let both HP and OpenMobile see how many webOS users want this to happen, and how much it's worth to us.

Petition Link:

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Default Re: Android Apps in webOS!

Petition signed.

It would truly awesome if something like this could be released.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

Signed!

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    Revolution, Cyn7

Slapped my John HanCock on it!!!

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

I prefer android it's just a smoother, faster OS. But Choice is always a good thing so... Signed.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Signed
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Meh. ICS is just way better all around. The only thing WebOS has going for it is the cards, and they are of limited utility. And who wants to run apps at "90%" speed anyways? After the ICS update it seems some of my apps are running at 150% speed.
    Axe likes this.

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

I'll be happy just to eventually have a tablet that can browse the web faster than dial-up. WebOS browser is horribly slow as is cm7. Cm9 not ready for a daily driver yet.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

signed. this is exactly what I could want. I love the WebOS UI but the lack of apps is a bummer.

It is all about being abe to choose and keeping an open source format going. I run the dual boot which to me doubles the apeal of the HP Pad. Both systems have benefits and good features. But some people don't like the potential bugs and quirks that the CM7 can bring. So the features of Android on a platform that the machine was originally meant to run (ie stability?) can only be a good thing. I support this and donated!

Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Badco6354 View Post
    It is all about being abe to choose and keeping an open source format going. I run the dual boot which to me doubles the apeal of the HP Pad. Both systems have benefits and good features. But some people don't like the potential bugs and quirks that the CM7 can bring. So the features of Android on a platform that the machine was originally meant to run (ie stability?) can only be a good thing. I support this and donated!
    WebOS has waaaay more annoying quirks than android... But whatever. It's simpler for ignorant people I suppose. That's not me being an ***, that's the truth. Though once everything gets sorted for CM9 even that won't really be true.

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts

I doubt if this will ever see the light of day.

ROM
    CyanogenMod 10

Quote Originally Posted by ohmytvc15 View Post
    I doubt if this will ever see the light of day.
    Maybe if webOS becomes more popular after it open-sources. But I agree, I don't see this coming anytime soon.

Global Posts
    1,417 Global Posts

Don't know, but I got an email just the other day from Open Mobile and they plan to make announcements about supporting webOS and coming out with their ACL technology running on-top of webOS. This is very exciting for me since I use both worlds and would love access to many of my Android apps while using webOS on my TouchPad. Either way, here's the letter:

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your email! We are hoping to have an announcement in the very near future about ACL for webOS - dates, timing, pricing, versions, support, etc. I will certainly add you to the test list. Please be kind enough to stay tuned for more information as soon as I am able to release it.

Anita Tsantinis

Marketing Coordinator

OpenMobile World Wide, Inc.
    Actually, I'm also hoping with HP efforts to release everything they can to the Open Source community...more Android developers will be interested being able to have webOS and still use their Android apps. Long shot, but then I'm optimistic. Sorli...

WebOS beats Android hands down in my book. If this tool became reality Android wold be forever off my radar, as well as my touch pad. And I'd be looking for a WebOS port for my Droid Charge too

Sent from CM9 enhanced Touch pad using Tapatalk.

I signed too.

Is there anything new about getting Android Apps on WebOS?

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Kickstarter campaign to raise $35,000 by Thursday May 23, 8:59am EDT. Estimated delivery date July 2013.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel