Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gmguk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Does anyone know if the Cm9 builds for the touchpad use hardware acceleration? If so how does it help it? If it doesn't, will there be a big difference in performance when it does get it(if ever)?
  2. #2  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    I know alphas 1&2 use it for video playback, when it was just alpha 0.6 most video's were not playable.

    The performance we are getting using CM9 for the touchpad is great, I think hardware acceleration is enabled now but the drivers may need tweaked. With the exception of the newer tegra 3 tablets, the touchpad with cm9 can out perform most other tablets.
  3. #3  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    I am still with CM7 Alpha 3.5. How are video playback and battery consumption on CM9 DemonHighwayman?

    Do you recommend I switch?
  4. #4  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    I am still with CM7 Alpha 3.5. How are video playback and battery consumption on CM9 DemonHighwayman?

    Do you recommend I switch?
    I don't think battery life is quiet as good as cm7 yet. Video playback is fine, full HD video's can be played from youtube, netflix or from the touchpads storage.

    It's difficult recommending switching, not because CM9 is bad but because everyone has different tastes. I would say CM9 feels smoother and more responsive to use over CM7 and also the screen seems more vivid and sharp.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 
  5. #5  
    gmguk's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    It's difficult recommending switching, not because CM9 is bad but because everyone has different tastes. I would say CM9 feels smoother and more responsive to use over CM7 and also the screen seems more vivid and sharp.
    I noticed that the display seemed "more" as well - thought it was just me!
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  6. #6  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    I will stick with CM7 for now then since replacing the TP's battery is not a very easy thing to do.
  7. #7  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    I will stick with CM7 for now then since replacing the TP's battery is not a very easy thing to do.
    You don't have to replace the battery, I'm not sure how you came to that. Sorry if I gave you that impression.
    It's actually slightly easier to install than CM7 was, using acmeinstaller 2.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 
  8. #8  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    You don't have to replace the battery, I'm not sure how you came to that. Sorry if I gave you that impression.
    It's actually slightly easier to install than CM7 was, using acmeinstaller 2.
    What I meant was that if the battery drain is even worse than CM7, that battery is not going to last longer on the long run. I already turn my TP off instead of leaving in standby in CM7 which consumes way much more than it should.
  9. #9  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    What I meant was that if the battery drain is even worse than CM7, that battery is not going to last longer on the long run. I already turn my TP off instead of leaving in standby in CM7 which consumes way much more than it should.
    lol, ok that makes more sense, The battery is ok for light - medium use but if your struggling with cm7 then maybe leave the update until the next cm9 alpha or a beta show up.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 
  10. #10  
    gmguk's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    lol, ok that makes more sense, The battery is ok for light - medium use but if your struggling with cm7 then maybe leave the update until the next cm9 alpha or a beta show up.
    Strange - my TP on CM9 seems to last days if I'm not using it much - if using it for web, facebook, email & youtube's etc then 4 or 5 hrs is not unusual - I run out of steam before it does. (never had it run out completely yet - although it has warned me it's getting low once or twice)

    I leave it on the TP stand charging all night, so it's always ready with a full charge.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    I switched from CM7 to CM9 Alpha 2 this weekend. I must say CM9 is substantially better than CM7, it feels a lot faster, the browser is a lot better, same for email. Overall working with it and functionality feels great. Netflix streaming looks great.

    Also feels more stable, but will see.

    Have not had it long enough for battery life, but logged out of Google Talk as recommended. It feels like battery life i not as good as CM7, and definitely not as good as WebOS. However the smoothness, performance and functionality sets it apart from CM7.
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 
  12. #12  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Thanks for all your feedback on the battery guys.

    I guess I will wait until CM9 becomes more energy-friendly.
  13. #13  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: Does Cm9 use hardware accelaration?

    Quote Originally Posted by gmguk View Post
    Strange - my TP on CM9 seems to last days if I'm not using it much - if using it for web, facebook, email & youtube's etc then 4 or 5 hrs is not unusual - I run out of steam before it does. (never had it run out completely yet - although it has warned me it's getting low once or twice)

    I leave it on the TP stand charging all night, so it's always ready with a full charge.
    I'd say mine is similar to yours, but CM7 seemed to squeeze a little more life out of the battery for me.

Posting Permissions