Is it time to take the plunge to CM9?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been procrastinating on upgrading because I still have a netbook that does most of the things I need to just fine AND I also have a Galaxy Nexus which stands in for the netbook quite a bit.

I got the Touchpad when it was cheap, and with the intension of using it to replace the netbook, but I?d been waiting for a stable release because it wasn?t something I really wanted to tinker with, my Nexus already allows me to tinker when I want to.

With the posting on the main page, explaining in detail, how to upgrade to CM9 ICS, I thought again about taking the plunge.

I know the camera still needs to be fixed, but that doesn?t bother me because I don?t take pictures or video very much. Are there any other little bugs that still need to be worked out in the Alpha release?

I would primarily be using the Touchpad for Netflix and Hulu, Web Browsing, and Docs to Go, Quick Office apps, and Radio/Music Streaming

How is the CM 9 release for these?

Is it normally pretty easy to upgrade the Alpha build to a newer/final release when it comes out?

BakonGuy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I highly recommend the latest official CM9 nightly. It is very stable and I haven't had any problems at all with it (it even fixed the WiFi problems I've had lots of trouble with!)

Edit: Yes upgrading is really easy, all you have to do is clear cache and install 2 zip files

krisnicaj

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't consider it a plunge more like an upgrade... I was a WebOS fanatic and installed cm7 and I never used cm7. Now I have cm9 and I never use WebOS anymore.

Sent from HP TouchPad ICS A2 via Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I am assuming that if I ever wanted to upgrade to a new nightly, that I would flash the new nightly zip by booting into clockwork mod but what is the other zip file I would need to download? Also, the would I need to wipe data too or just clear cache? I am planning to flash CM9 for the first time tonight using the newest 4/4 nightly. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mutoidi

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I am assuming that if I ever wanted to upgrade to a new nightly, that I would flash the new nightly zip by booting into clockwork mod but what is the other zip file I would need to download? Also, the would I need to wipe data too or just clear cache? I am planning to flash CM9 for the first time tonight using the newest 4/4 nightly. Thanks for all the advice.

The other file referred to was possibly the 'gapps' file.. but in my experience once that is installed you only require to update the actual 'nightly' zip - (via clockworkmod as you say).
I also usually wipe the cache partition and Dalvik cache prior to updating.
Good luck & enjoy.. & don't forget to use 'ACMEInstaller2'

:)

joos519

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I just took the leap with the latest 2012-4-4 build which was just put up yesterday. Install was easy and went smoothly, the only thing I skipped was the gapps fix file. I installed gapps and it seems to work fine. I'm able to get into the market and I'm also able to see my installed apps from my android file. So far, I'm very impressed, Icecream is very intuitive and smooth as silk. The build does not include the camera fix, but I'm sure it fixed a few bugs. Wifi has been steady with no loss, duration 3hrs so far. I hope they do fix the camera problem though, for now if I ever need the camera for video chat, I'll just switch to webos, that's whats great about having dual boot. So is it worth taking the leap?....Absolutely, install was a breeze and it gives you what everyone has been bragging about, the huge selection of apps. Plus, it's also very nice to have the option to install newer builds as they come out, which is great.

Now I have some questions, does anybody know if the 4-4 build has the gapps fix already embedded? Or should I install the gapps fix? What was the problem with the market for the older builds?

joos519

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Gapps fix?

The gapps fix is a file that helped fix the android market problem in cm9 alpha 0. Apperantly this file was needed in order to get the Android market working properly with cm9.

bjs188

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't consider it a plunge more like an upgrade... I was a WebOS fanatic and installed cm7 and I never used cm7. Now I have cm9 and I never use WebOS anymore.

Sent from HP TouchPad ICS A2 via Tapatalk

agree! Love(d) webOS, but I gave up on my Pre, rocking a galaxy nexus, and was never using my touchpad w/ webOS. Put CM9 on (easy, follow @wusaint guide on webOSnation.com) and now I use the touchpad all the time... but booted into CM9, not webOS

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I joined the fray this weekend & installed CM9. At first I used the alpha but my wifi wouldn't stay connected. So I flashed the latest nightly and its much more consistent. Thank goodness its a dual boot and I didn't have to lose webOS.

New2TeePee

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I took the plunge last night as well. I used the 0418 nightly build. After the recent wifi issues on CM7, the new setup is a revelation - I love the much more polished look, and everything works fine, from apps to email to youtube. I've never used the camera, so it wasn't an issue to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87