Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By starbuckk
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default USB connection with ICS?

    Anyone having problems connecting the Touchpad running ICS to a computer with the USB cable? When I connect, the Android says "Android Debugging Enabled". But the computer gives an error on the device driver. So I can't mount a card to transfer files.

    Is this a known problem with the ICS Alpha 2 build? If so, would one of the nightlies fix it? I really don't want to mess with nightlies but if one of them comes out stable enough to function well and fixes this and potentially other issues I'll go for it.
  2. #2  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    You need to enable MBT. I do not have the TP with me right now, but do a google search and you'll find where the setting is.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    You need to enable MBT. I do not have the TP with me right now, but do a google search and you'll find where the setting is.
    I have exactly the same problem. Tried looking for enabling MBT but couldn't find anything, so if you could post details when you have the chance that would be great.

    At the moment, I copy my required files to my server share (you could share a folder on your PC instead). Then I use Astro file manager (with the SMB option downloaded) to connect to my share and copy the files. It's obviously not the same a connecting via USB, but it gets the job done, and Astro is so good that it's easy to do

    Hope this helps
  4. #4  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Go to settings, storage then press the 3 small squares in the top right corner and press "usb computer connection". There you will find "media device (mtp)" make sure its got a check by it.
    Thanked by 3:
  5. #5  
    Xsever's Avatar

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Go to settings, storage then press the 3 small squares in the top right corner and press "usb computer connection". There you will find "media device (mtp)" make sure its got a check by it.
    Yup that's it. Now I remembered how I did mine.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    Yup that's it. Now I remembered how I did mine.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default

    Thanks. Found the setting and flipped it. But in the meantime I also found WiFi File Transfer which allows over the network transfers using a web browser on the PC. Works great, no need for a cable and can use other apps on the pad while it is running. Plus it has a nice interface for transferring pictures.

    Sent from CM9 enhanced Touch pad using Tapatalk.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Go to settings, storage then press the 3 small squares in the top right corner and press "usb computer connection". There you will find "media device (mtp)" make sure its got a check by it.
    Thanks for the instructions. They work great with a Windows PC.....
    However I'm gonna be a bit awkward here - I'm running Linux so the TP isn't recognised when I plug it in. Any ideas on how to get mtp working with Linux?
  9. #9  
    DemonHighwayman's Avatar

    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 9 RC

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by touchpadtom View Post
    Thanks for the instructions. They work great with a Windows PC.....
    However I'm gonna be a bit awkward here - I'm running Linux so the TP isn't recognised when I plug it in. Any ideas on how to get mtp working with Linux?
    I think you would need to try and get some linux drivers that would recognize the touchpad, it's not something i've heard anything about though apart from that the android settings would be the same I'd imagine.

    If you reboot into recovery you may be able to get linux to recognize the touchpad when you go in to the file transfer mode.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: USB connection with ICS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I think you would need to try and get some linux drivers that would recognize the touchpad, it's not something i've heard anything about though apart from that the android settings would be the same I'd imagine.

    If you reboot into recovery you may be able to get linux to recognize the touchpad when you go in to the file transfer mode.
    Thanks for the information. Seems like Linux has been overlooked with this.
    No worries, I'll either use a windows PC to transfer files (unlikely as my main PC is Linux) or just stay with my original method of using Astro file manager to copy files from a share.

Posting Permissions