HTC 10 Super LCD 5

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Rumour has it that the HTC 10 will sport a super LCD 5 screen. Does any one know the specs for the Super LCD 5?

Posted via the Android Central App

Pat-C

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Not a lot of info on this but according to a few websites:

HTC already uses the Super LCD technology, it’s different from AMOLED as it doesn’t have an air gap between the display element and the outer glass. This results in less glare and makes the user feel “closer” to the display.

Other benefits of the Super LCD 5 display include better outdoor visibility in sunlight as well as low power consumption.*

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If this is true and HTC also implements some sort of Always On Display then that will mean more of a battery drain since the whole screen would have to come on to display the info. I was hoping that it would be an Amoled display since the display would only have to turn on some of the pixels for the Always On Display. At the same time, no other OEM is using an Super LCD 5 display. It could be a great display. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
If this is true and HTC also implements some sort of Always On Display then that will mean more of a battery drain since the whole screen would have to come on to display the info. I was hoping that it would be an Amoled display since the display would only have to turn on some of the pixels for the Always On Display. At the same time, no other OEM is using an Super LCD 5 display. It could be a great display. Hopefully we will find out soon.

I was hoping for an advanced notification system... I am not technical enough knowledge wise to understand AMOLED controls only certain segments at a time where LCD operates differently. Guess we will have to see what is uncorked....

Sammys AOS is limited in it current state. Not allowing 3rd parties access is kinda self defeating in my opinion...

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping for an advanced notification system... I am not technical enough knowledge wise to understand AMOLED controls only certain segments at a time where LCD operates differently. Guess we will have to see what is uncorked....

Sammys AOS is limited in it current state. Not allowing 3rd parties access is kinda self defeating in my opinion...

Yeah I agree that Samsung's is limited. I wonder if LG's has any other function. I guess when more reviews come out for that device we will know. Right now I'm using Moto Display on my Moto X Pure Edition and I love it. If HTC has anything like that then I'd be good. I just hope the screen looks good. It may not be as good as an Amoled screen but I don't want to go down in quality from what I have now.

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

The lg G5 and it's always on display only lights up that portion of the screen and not the entire panel. It supposedly uses less power than the S7 amoled screen also. I just wish Htc would announce this thing already so I can make my choice as Lg and tmobile giving some goodies away with a pre-order and don't want to lose out on those if I don't like the 10

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The lg G5 and it's always on display only lights up that portion of the screen and not the entire panel. It supposedly uses less power than the S7 amoled screen also. I just wish Htc would announce this thing already so I can make my choice as Lg and tmobile giving some goodies away with a pre-order and don't want to lose out on those if I don't like the 10

How can a non Amoled display light up only a portion of its display?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
How can a non Amoled display light up only a portion of its display?

It would have to implement some type of local dimming using numerous zones to pull that off. I think that would require the use of a backlit LED array.

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Super LCD is mainly just a marketing thing. That said, I don't think they used that term for the M9's (pretty terrible) display, so maybe there's hope.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Super LCD 5 display include better outdoor visibility in sunlight as well as low power consumption
I'll believe this when I see it. My biggest complaint with the M8 was that it was impossible to use outdoors, even on an overcast day. And if "Super LCD 5" doesn't at least rival Samsung's current version of "Super AMOLED" for brightness and clarity, indoors and out, it's going to be damned with faint praise in reviews.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Shizen, not happy with this, I'm addicted to amoled, not sure if I could ever go back.

dreaming of electric sheep

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This is the only thing that might keep me from buying the HTC 10. I really hope that the display will be amazing this year. I am sold on everything else..

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
This is the only thing that might keep me from buying the HTC 10. I really hope that the display will be amazing this year. I am sold on everything else..

I am with you on this not sure why they just don't go to Amoled the LCD panels just aren't as bright and nice looking just my thoughts I would love that samsung or nexus display on this phone. If that happened would get it hands down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci