HTC finally got the camera right (Ties S7's on DxOMark)

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC finally got the camera right

I think people parrot what phone reviewers say too often. When the M8 came out, users were thrilled with the cam and the pics in the M8 thread on here were killing the user contributions in the equivalent Samsung thread. However, several reviewers panned the M8's dual cam and praised the Samsung so people adopted that as the truth.

Now, every reviewer is saying HTC "finally got it right", and the users are going with it even though there's no comparisons for us to view (let alone real-world user experience). I've said it before; phone journalists are some of the last people you should trust when it comes to photo and audio evaluations. I saw a review last night in which one reviewer called the treble speaker the "twitter"... *sigh*
DxO is another beast entirely but I personally haven't found their ratings to reflect real-world application and satisfaction.

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

What samples? Link?

To be honest, the camera is not that critical for me, I have DSLR's if I want to take 'real' photos :) That said, it really does no harm to have a mobile that has a pretty decent camera. The SGS7e has impressed me with the photo quality so if the HTC 10 is at least equal to it then I think we can say they got it right this time around :)

This link is to a processed raw photo (I wish it was just the raw before being processed to jpg)
http://attach.mobile01.com/attach/201604/mobile01-c3ee1bcea078c2f0344c3fffdc610a71.jpg

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the link. Hard to know what was done to the photo in PS. Also, from the EXIF I can see it was taken on a HTC device but I couldn't know which one. Seems to have been shot at ISO 100 but there's quite a bit of noise in the background of that photo. For sure we will need to wait until there are better comparisons out there.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Camera Ties S7's for DxOMark

I'm kinda sick of the guy writing those articles, he is way up on his high horse, his article on High-Res audio was complete bull****.

Interesting. I liked David Ruddock's discussion of the B&O DAC...but I'm not an audiophile. What did he get wrong?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Camera Ties S7's for DxOMark

Interesting. I liked David Ruddock's discussion of the B&O DAC...but I'm not an audiophile. What did he get wrong?

As someone who works in the professional audio industry I was curious as to what you guys were talking about so I did a quick read and wasn't impressed. For instance;
"LG has already lost my trust by peddling such a blatantly untrue implication designed to take advantage of placebo and people's willingness to believe that audio is too complicated to really understand."
Then in the same paragraph says,
"...upsampling may or may not produce an audible effect on the end music, but the actual result is still highly debated by audiophiles and science, and no one seems to understand fully if or why upsampling does (or does not) work..."

Many in the recording industry call them "audioFools"