Initial Impressions of the HTC 10

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

So, the HTC 10 is finally official, and boy, does it look good (to me anyway). Here are my very first initial impressions based on what I've seen. Note that they are always subject to change over time.

- I love the design. Although the front looks a bit like a cross between an iPhone and a recent Galaxy device, to me, it blends the best of both and it looks great in black. At the back, it reminds me a whole lot about my old One M7, AND I loved that thing to death.

- Hardware package is your basic run-of-the-mill 2016 Android flagship. Snapdragon 820 processor, 32GB of storage (possibly UFS), 4GB of memory, expandable storage with support for Marshmallow's Adoptable storage feature, a 5.2-inch QHD Super LCD 5 display and a 3000mAh battery that supports Quick Charge 3.0.

- HTC Sense continues to be my favorite third-party Android skin, and from what I've seen, the latest version of Sense seems to be blending in the best of stock Android while retaining many parts of HTC's design. Performance looks to be extremely snappy (Sense has usually been one of the snappiest skins when it comes to Android) and I think it looks good in stock form. Don't like the way it looks? There's a theme engine for that.

- Ah, but we can't talk about a HTC flagship without mentioning the camera. Well, looks like the 10 might be the first HTC flagship in a while with a competitive camera. The 10 looks to be packing in the same 12MP Sony IMX377 unit from the Nexus 6P, featuring 1.55-micron pixels for better low-light performance. It's paired up with an f/1.8 aperture and OIS. Interestingly, the front camera is 5MP with a 1.34-micron pixel size, along with OIS. Yep, OIS on the front camera. Based on the hardware, looks like HTC nailed the sweet spot for the camera. Let's hope the software processing is up to snuff.

- No dual stereo speakers on the front. But, there's a stereo 24-bit DAC and an improved headphone amplifier. Audio that isn't 24-bit can also be upscaled by the software. Looks like it ain't a slouch in audio.

- It also has USB Type-C. Looks to be based on USB 3.1 Gen 1. Much faster data transfer speeds? We hope.

- A 3000mAh battery + QHD display. Seems like a recipe for average battery life, but given that the One M8 lasted pretty damn long on a measly 2600mAh cell, maybe this might last longer than we expect. QC 3.0 is onboard if you run low on battery during the day, though.

Overall, I am liking this phone. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it.

Last edited:

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: The HTC 10 is official - Initial impressions

So, the HTC 10 is finally official, and boy, does it look good (to me anyway). Here are my very first initial impressions based on what I've seen. Note that they are always subject to change over time.

- I love the design. Although the front looks a bit like a cross between an iPhone and a recent Galaxy device, to me, it blends the best of both and it looks great in black. At the back, it reminds me a whole lot about my old One M7, AND I loved that thing to death.

- Hardware package is your basic run-of-the-mill 2016 Android flagship. Snapdragon 820 processor, 32GB of storage (possibly UFS), 4GB of memory,expandable storage with support for Marshmallow's Adoptable storage feature, a 5.2-inch QHD Super LCD 5 display and a 3000mAh battery that supports Quick Charge 3.0.

- HTC Sense continues to be my favorite third-party Android skin, and from what I've seen, the latest version of Sense seems to be blending in the best of stock Android while retaining many parts of HTC's design. Performance looks to be extremely snappy (Sense has usually been one of the snappiest skins when it comes to Android) and I think it looks good in stock form. Don't like the way it looks? There's a theme engine for that.

- Ah, but we can't talk about a HTC flagship without mentioning the camera. Well, looks like the 10 might be the first HTC flagship with a competitive camera. The 10 looks to be packing in the same 12MP Sony IMX377 unit from the Nexus 6P, featuring 1.55-micron pixels for better low-light performance. It's paired up with an f/1.8 aperture and OIS. Interestingly, the fromt camera is 8MP with a 1.34-micron pixel size, along with OIS. Yep, OIS on the front camera. Based on the hardware, looks like HTC nailed the sweet spot for the camera. Let's hope the software processing is up to snuff.

- No dual stereo speakers on the front. But, there's a stereo 24-bit DAC and an improved headphone amplifier. Audio that isn't 24-bit can also be upscaled by the software. Looks like it ain't a slouch in audio.

- It also has USB Type-C. Looks to be based on USB 3.1 Gen 1. Much faster data transfer speeds? We hope.

- A 3000mAh battery + QHD display. Seems like a recipe for average battery life, but given that the One M8 lasted pretty damn long on a measly 2600mAh cell, maybe this might last longer than we expect. QC 3.0 is onboard if you run low on battery during the day, though.

Overall, I am liking this phone. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it.

Sold!

Posted via the Android Central App

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm really curious about the DAC. I suspect that it's just the built-in Snapdragon DAC and a discreet amp. That's the set-up they've used in the past, but it would be nice to see them step up to a discreet DAC as well

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
SOLD

Sold sold sold. Sexy design. Great sound. Great screen. Still have to see about the camera but they got the basics right. #thisismynext

SOOOOOLD!

Are you?

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Same for me. They've hit all the right notes the way I was hoping they would. I've found the replacement for my M8!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Coming from my LG Nexus 5, my main concern is Battery. So I'm hoping if I go ahead and jump ship to the HTC 10, I'm hoping 3000mAh and quickcharge 3.0 will be a very different and long lasting experience for me and my smart phone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I'm sold on it. When I saw Android Central's impressions video, I decided I'll get it.

Love everything about it. Design looks beautiful, seems like it has an awesome camera, battery size is good so I hope it lasts long, 24bit audio sounds great, beautiful Sense UI which is stripped back even more so it doesn't have double up apps, looks slick and smooth. It hits all the marks at all the right places. Doesn't fall shot anywhere imo.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I'm sold on it. When I saw Android Central's impressions video, I decided I'll get it.

Love everything about it. Design looks beautiful, seems like it has an awesome camera, battery size is good so I hope it lasts long, 24bit audio sounds great, beautiful Sense UI which is stripped back even more so it doesn't have double up apps, looks slick and smooth. It hits all the marks at all the right places. Doesn't fall shot anywhere imo.

What is this setting you back in Australia? In Canada, it is $1,000 and I know our prices are similar.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I'm sold on it. The design is solid. At first I was a little worried about the the entire front of the phone being glass, but I'm sure it's great. Can't wait to hear the audio quality and see the camera quality. I think they nailed this phone. The sense looks fast and thin. I'll be preordering as soon as I can select the unlocked carbon gray. Right now every time I select it on the HTC website it adds a T-Mobile carbon gray to my cart. anyone else having this problem?

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

This looks a cracking phone!

What I'd like to know is are they going to release a dual-sim variant as now, I'll only really consider dual-sim phones as it makes life so much easier?!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

They claim 48 hours of battery life as well.

Yeah I just read that somewhere this morning because they didn't say it in the video. I'm really excited for this phone now. I don't even think I should keep waiting for a new Nexus or anything else. This phone seems like it would last me for years.

RayGee

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Looks like they did pull the IR blaster.<sigh>. Oh well, this phone is still a home run in my park.

Regards -----------

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Not sure how a 3000 mah battery could ever get 48 hours without a charge, but with the right optimizations, a full day should be doable even with heavy use.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site

It looks awesome but two things. First, no 15 day update guarantee like the A9? I was really hoping for that. Second, I wish there was more incentive to pre-order. Samsung and LG gave extras with their pre-orders.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Yeah I wish we would get something with the pre order, but it is what it is. I'll be preordering it anyways

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

It looks awesome but two things. First, no 15 day update guarantee like the A9? I was really hoping for that. Second, I wish there was more incentive to pre-order. Samsung and LG gave extras with their pre-orders.

What is the 15 day update guarantee?

Also, I wonder why Gold isn't available on the pre-order page. I would also love Red as an option seeing as Japan gets that lol.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

What is this setting you back in Australia? In Canada, it is $1,000 and I know our prices are similar.

No pricing just yet. We've been told HTC will have more news for us on the 26th (two weeks from now).

I imagine it'll be priced similarly to the Galaxy S7, so maybe around $1,100-$1,200 AUD. Quite pricey...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz