Does the HTC 10 have an IR Blaster?

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have the m8 and I rarely use the ir blaster. I mean its a cool perk I guess, I used it once at my brothers dorm when I didn't wanna get off the couch to get the remote. But at my house I have a pro control remote with a rf processor for my system. But not everyone can do that. Not sad to see the htc 10 didn't have it.

Posted via the Android Central App

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
These are good points. Now that I think about it my Dennon, TIVO and Xbox can all be used via IP with apps. So I retract my statement. Happy to see it gone.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
All these wifi home network apps/applications are fantastic, but very limited in reality unless you are home every day. I travel every week for work and used to use the IR every day (on older phones).

Hotel rooms. Business travelers. Sad HTC dropped it. Hotel room remotes are nasty. The IR allowed me to never touch one. Oh well.

I know, most people don't do the level of travel as me. But for me, the IR is not "old tech." It's very much relevant. Ship's sailed, I'll get over it. And yes a cheap universal remote is a workaround. Janky, but a workaround.

enigmaco

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I have it setup on the conference room tvs and my home tvs. It stinks they are moving away from it. Comes in handy when I have lost my remote to

Pete diCoio

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
I use the IR blaster every day on my m8, from my home to my office.. Literally everything from my TVs, Apple TV, my light dimmer in my living room, and even my gas fireplace! Complete deal breaker for me. Yet I feel like HTC and Samsung have discounted the amount of users who do utilize the IR blaster.. For me personally, tough to justify a $700 price point when a flagship phone is lacking such a quality feature. I understand HTC and Scamsung have "packed" these flagships with tons of other features, but the price tags are out of control for such a simple add-on to no longer be present.

JohnnyD#AC

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I use it every day with peel remote. Saves me $ over paying for the full blown twc box and I still have the channel guide.
I will look at other options also.

Sounds like those of us that use it are hooked on the ir blaster's usefulness

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Have had the IR blaster in my M8 and my M9; barely used it. Haven't missed it in the 10.
Yea, I used it once and that was enough. My remotes sit on the end tables in the rooms with the TVs and such. If I used the IR on my phone I can just imagine what a hassle it would be every time I left my phone in a different room, or I'm checking out something on the phone and my wife wants to change the channel, etc. I'm happy to have them leave it out, though I do understand that some people rely on it. Apparently, just not enough.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: IR Blaster ?

The LG G5 does have an IR blaster. It is the only flagship phone out that still has the IR blaster and a removable battery. If you don't care about those features almost all the other phones out including the HTC 10 have a sealed in battery and no IR blaster.

Sorry.. My v10 has both.... Thankyouverymuch...

Posted from my. AT&T LG V10

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't much on the IR blaster until very recently.

Being able to have a remote control at your disposal is pretty great when you need it, and no it's not outdated technology since just about every home media device uses it..

Posted from my. AT&T LG V10

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Regardless if IR is "old" technology, not enough people used it to justify HTC including it in the 10.

tryatt

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Its quite funny how non-smart phones had irda ports, then they were dropped, then suddenly IR came back, and now its gone again!

Either way, No IR (no biggy), No duo cam (no biggy), No wireless charging (still?!), No front facing boom sound speakers (step backward!).

Time to move away from my long stint as a HTC fan since the original desire.

rivrfreak

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site

The better answer is that I could take control of the TVs at the bars ;)

I also don't understand how people are saying "HTC got rid of it because not enough people used it". How the & #*% do they or you know? There are several apps out there to utilize your ir blaster with

richard dillon1

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

The better answer is that I could take control of the TVs at the bars ;)

I also don't understand how people are saying "HTC got rid of it because not enough people used it". How the & #*% do they or you know? There are several apps out there to utilize your ir blaster with
They know how many times it is used based on the app

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I definitely used it and miss it but it wasn't a major deal that it isn't present... I still wish it was tho, I hate having to find my remote plus I had my parents house and and job and my barbershop programmed in my phone lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20