We've got the HTC 10 and we're answering your questions right here!

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
First, be sure to read our HTC 10 preview, which has lots of juicy info.

Got questions? We're now free to answer them! Myself, Phil and Dan Bader have been using the HTC 10 for the past week, and we're ready and waiting to answer your burning questions.

Fire away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: We've got the HTC 10 — and we're answering your questions right here!

Notification system: Single or multicolor LED? Does the LED go away after "xx" time? If phone is locked and screen dark does anything show up on the screen?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Notification system: Single or multicolor LED? Does the LED go away after "xx" time? If phone is locked and screen dark does anything show up on the screen?

Green only for apps, it seems. Orange/green charging.

Haven't seen it "go away" after any time.

Is it a lot faster than sense 7?

Sense 7 was already pretty fast on the M9. The HTC 10 is as quick as any Android phone I've used though

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

@ Alex - Stickied the thread for you :).

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

How is battery life? HTC are quoted as saying 2 days with the obvious "Your mileage may vary". What are you seeing in real world use?
Have you been able to compare the screen to the SGS7e in terms of brightness and visibility in bright sunlight?

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

Have you used it with adoptable storage at all? When recording 1080p or 4K video onto a microSD card, has there been any noticeable lag?

How's the speaker performance been in everyday situations? (listening to music around the house)

Peter Venkman

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Sorry, just thought of another question...

In Themes, is it possible to "darken" Sense, particularly the Settings area, with a black or dark gray material theme versus the typical white we're seeing in all the hands-on videos? Samsung allows this with their version; wondering if HTC has the ability too?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Verge review is out (surprisingly early) and they said camera app is very slow to launch. Is it really slow to capture a pic and is very noticeable? For eg comparing with 6P and S7, S7 is super fast to capture a pic but 6P is slow in my opinion. How does it compare in terms of taking a quick picture?

Joe J1

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

Camera launch speed with focus?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

How is battery life? HTC are quoted as saying 2 days with the obvious "Your mileage may vary". What are you seeing in real world use?
Have you been able to compare the screen to the SGS7e in terms of brightness and visibility in bright sunlight?
GS7 wins in sunlight, mainly because of the overdrive mode that kicks in when it's really bright. That said, HTC's screen is perfectly fine.
Have you used it with adoptable storage at all? When recording 1080p or 4K video onto a microSD card, has there been any noticeable lag?

How's the speaker performance been in everyday situations? (listening to music around the house)
Haven't seen any lag so far. And I'm not using adoptable storage.

Speaker's been good. We talk a bit about that on the podcast, but basically there's more potential for distortion based on the way you're holding it, because you have different frequencies blasting out in different directions now.
Sorry, just thought of another question...

In Themes, is it possible to "darken" Sense, particularly the Settings area, with a black or dark gray material theme versus the typical white we're seeing in all the hands-on videos? Samsung allows this with their version; wondering if HTC has the ability too?
Nothing like that preloaded, but no reason why you couldn't find a darker theme in HTC Themes.
Verge review is out (surprisingly early) and they said camera app is very slow to launch. Is it really slow to capture a pic and is very noticeable? For eg comparing with 6P and S7, S7 is super fast to capture a pic but 6P is slow in my opinion. How does it compare in terms of taking a quick picture?

An update went out to US devices yesterday to make the camera launch faster. The Euro device I'm using already had that update, and it's pretty quick (comfortably under 1 second.) Faster than the 6P for sure. Probably a bit slower than Samsung.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Oh, and on battery life. It's not exactly *bad*. But no way you're getting two days out of this thing. Not if you use it like a normal human. I'd say it's about Note 5 / GS6 edge+ level, perhaps a bit below that. Usable, but by no means outstanding.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

An update went out to US devices yesterday to make the camera launch faster. The Euro device I'm using already had that update, and it's pretty quick (comfortably under 1 second.) Faster than the 6P for sure. Probably a bit slower than Samsung

Thanks Alex !!! that's good news for sure.

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

Does it have any type of Ambient/Always On Display similar to the Nexus phones?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

A bit slower to capture pictures or for the camera app to launch?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

How is LCD5 screen quality?
Good. I think Samsung nudges ahead in daylight visibility, but overall this is a good-looking display.
Does it have any type of Ambient/Always On Display similar to the Nexus phones?
Nope
A bit slower to capture pictures or for the camera app to launch?
Launch. Captures are nice and fast.