Which USB C cable?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
OK, what I am reading through several sites is that overdriving USB-C at above 5V could cause an issue with your wall wort or your phone. USB-C does not "officially" support overdriving. So if HTC and its provided wall wort are fine and you don't use a cheapo non-3.1 compliant cable I am assuming (and we know what that does) you should be fine.

I am unsure how this specifically links to a device where you plug into like a computer or other USB power device how that would be handled. I would have to assume (that word again) that HTC is smart enough in phone programming to see its not a wall wort and not burn up the computer/whatever...but I am unsure.

Because its not approved for what appears to be burst voltage increases up to 12v its a no-no. But it would seem that if the OEM (LG or HTC) and the OEM approved wall wort are ok; then I would think you might be ok. At this point I am not worrying. I plan on getting a couple of iOrange cables and an additional wall wort from HTC so I can quick charge at home and work.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I found this: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/H4rx1QRDRBe

I guess the question for me is this: there are 3 parts to charging a phone....the phone port, the cable and the wall unit. My understanding is this, the main concern is the cable and wall plug connection. As long as the cable is approved by Benson, plugging a cable into say any other wall charger or PC should not cause any damage. So the question is how did HTC/LG get around the USB C/QC 3.0 restriction?

Edit: this finding does not change my stance about getting this device. I will get it as soon as I can.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I found this: https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/H4rx1QRDRBe

I guess the question for me is this: there are 3 parts to charging a phone....the phone port, the cable and the wall unit. My understanding is this, the main concern is the cable and wall plug connection. As long as the cable is approved by Benson, plugging a cable into say any other wall charger or PC should not cause any damage. So the question is how did HTC/LG get around the USB C/QC 3.0 restriction?

Edit: this finding does not change my stance about getting this device. I will get it as soon as I can.
My question relates to that as well.
Supposedly; "USB Type-C spec doesn’t support proprietary charging technology above 5V."
But, what part of the 10 is Benson having a problem with? I'm an electronics guy who has built and modded power supplies, so if he pointed to the HTC cable, even the terminals on the cable or phone, or some component that fails past 5v (gets too hot, for example), then it would be clear. Until he points out what HTC has done wrong beyond the theoretical spec, then he's just being a stickler for spec and was out of turn to have said what he did. Overbuilding is something extremely common in electronics and has been since the 30's, perhaps before. As long as the manufacturer provides the accessories that comply to their own required spec for operation then there is nothing dangerous or wrong.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the last couple thoughts are dead on. Get a certified cable and you should be ok. Thats a non-engineering assumed opinion. I have noticed that the HTC cable being shown on HTC website is USB 2.0. So I would think if we get iOrange we should be fine as the wall wort is set up (tested?) for that pull. I would have to say the phone has been too.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I seen to remember reading somewhere that the HTC wall wort has something in it to regulate charging so no overheating or other issues?

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My question relates to that as well.
Supposedly; "USB Type-C spec doesn’t support proprietary charging technology above 5V."
But, what part of the 10 is Benson having a problem with? I'm an electronics guy who has built and modded power supplies, so if he pointed to the HTC cable, even the terminals on the cable or phone, or some component that fails past 5v (gets too hot, for example), then it would be clear. Until he points out what HTC has done wrong beyond the theoretical spec, then he's just being a stickler for spec and was out of turn to have said what he did. Overbuilding is something extremely common in electronics and has been since the 30's, perhaps before. As long as the manufacturer provides the accessories that comply to their own required spec for operation then there is nothing dangerous or wrong.

You lost me on the Overbuilding sentence. Not disagreeing with you, just not familiar with the term in this case.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the last couple thoughts are dead on. Get a certified cable and you should be ok. Thats a non-engineering assumed opinion. I have noticed that the HTC cable being shown on HTC website is USB 2.0. So I would think if we get iOrange we should be fine as the wall wort is set up (tested?) for that pull. I would have to say the phone has been too.

A good condensed version of what I was trying to say. Tried to get one last post in before my break was done at work last night.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
You lost me on the Overbuilding sentence. Not disagreeing with you, just not familiar with the term in this case.

Understandable. I'm trying to think of an example most can relate to as most I know are in music equipment... It would be akin to what is done with many cars these days. Two companies might source the same engine but one does things in order to run it beyond design spec to get more HP, greater efficiency, etc. One could be critical and say that they are running the engine past spec, but there are things being done to compensate and make it possible. HTC says of their charger; "...it comes with built-in protection against overloading, overheating and short-circuiting." So, using a cable that can handle the 9 and 12v (which are lower in amperage) then I am as a loss as to where the problem is. Now, if HTC doesn't note potential issues relation to quick charge, then that will be an area of concern.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Understandable. I'm trying to think of an example most can relate to as most I know are in music equipment... It would be akin to what is done with many cars these days. Two companies might source the same engine but one does things in order to run it beyond design spec to get more HP, greater efficiency, etc. One could be critical and say that they are running the engine past spec, but there are things being done to compensate and make it possible. HTC says of their charger; "...it comes with built-in protection against overloading, overheating and short-circuiting." So, using a cable that can handle the 9 and 12v (which are lower in amperage) then I am as a loss as to where the problem is. Now, if HTC doesn't note potential issues relation to quick charge, then that will be an area of concern.

AC looked into this: Qualcomm addresses USB Type-C and Quick Charge 3.0 compatibility http://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-addresses-usb-type-c-and-quick-charge-30-compatibility

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
AC looked into this: Qualcomm addresses USB Type-C and Quick Charge 3.0 compatibility Qualcomm addresses USB Type-C and Quick Charge 3.0 compatibility | Android Central

Great to see AC looking into this and reporting responsibly. I've see a dozen sites make empty articles with sensational headlines about this for click bait.
I find most phone sites/forums to be insufferable but the AC staff and you forum mods make it a great place to participate in. Thanks.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This whole thing with that Benson guy and his comments is soooo not an issue. Some sites just looking for click bait. AC handling it the right way.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So I know there has been some controversy over bad USB C cables so I am looking for a reliable cable to get to use with this phone not only does it need to be reliable but I need a long cable preferably over 6 feet like the 8-10 range but will settle for 6 if I had to.

Any recommendations?
Sorry to have hijacked your thread. Did you get the answer you were looking for?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To charge at full quick charge 3.0 speeds do I need usb c to usb a 3.1,3.0, 2.0 or either?

Plain USB C to C charges pretty quick. My Nex5X charges really quick on the stock charger. As for QC 3, (and I'm not taking into account questions raised by Benson) you would need the proper wall plug, and approved cable. The setup shown by HTC seems to be a USB A to C.

As for any other cable....I would use caution. You needed a longer reach correct? Perhaps there is a different way to achieve what you want? Perhaps with an extension cord?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Plain USB C to C charges pretty quick. My Nex5X charges really quick on the stock charger. As for QC 3, (and I'm not taking into account questions raised by Benson) you would need the proper wall plug, and approved cable. The setup shown by HTC seems to be a USB A to C.

As for any other cable....I would use caution. You needed a longer reach correct? Perhaps there is a different way to achieve what you want? Perhaps with an extension cord?

Your 5x charges quick with that setup because it supports the USB Power Delivery spec.

Speaking of that (and maybe I missed it) does the 10 support that AND QC3.0?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Your 5x charges quick with that setup because it supports the USB Power Delivery spec.

Speaking of that (and maybe I missed it) does the 10 support that AND QC3.0?

I was under the impression that the benefits of USB v.3.0/3.1 was not only faster data speeds in transfers from one device to another, but faster charging as well. I may be mistaken too.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the benefits of USB v.3.0/3.1 was not only faster data speeds in transfers from one device to another, but faster charging as well. I may be mistaken too.

Yes, but I think that was with regards to charging over a PC port. USB-2 gives about 500mA while USB-3 (over a type A cable) can do about 1A. C-C connections are different, but I haven't kept up with what PC mobo makers are doing or what the standard output is for charging another USB-C device.