HTC 10 Owners: First Impressions, Initial Reviews Thread

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So the HTC 10 has been released in certain regions and currently shipping out in others. I thought I'd start a thread for those who own the HTC 10 to post their first impressions.

Previous Phone: Nexus 6P
Purchased: Carbon Grey, 32gb

So I picked up my HTC 10 today have set it up and been playing with it for on and off during a 12 hour period and thought I'd give my initial impressions:

Build/Hardware: Extremely good. I've had a long history of Android phones from all different manufacturers, but I've always felt that HTC were best in the business when it came to their hardware design and build and the 10 looks and feels excellent. The metal is smooth, the phone feels super solid, has a great heft to it, the chamfered edge on the back surprisingly gives it a bit of extra grip (the texture of the chamfered edge is ever so slightly different from the rest of the phone). The phone is a really nice size and the curved back makes the phone really comfortable in the hand. Coming from the Nexus 6P, the size of this phone is very welcome as it's very easy to reach all parts of the screen without stretching or having to use two hands. The power button had a really accentuated texture to it so you'll never mistakes it for the volume rocker and all buttons are very clicky, which I love.

Display: Excellent. Love the display more than the 6P's display. The whites are far truer whites (Nexus has a slightly blue hue to it) and colours still pop but aren't oversaturated as I find AMOLED displays to be. Add to that the blacks are extremely deep for an LCD display. The screen looks great. I don't know what makes AMOLED supposedly superior. Maybe people like extremely saturated displays, but I don't. I've ways found the colours too intense on the S6, Note 4 and Nexus 6P I own/owned previously. This is a touch more natural while still looking very vibrant and punchy.

Software/Performance: It's essentially stock Google with a few Sense tweaks. If you like stock Android, then you'll like this. HTC have really pulled back on the software and only made enhancements where the phone benefits such as the camera which looks to be quite powerful with a lot of tools. As far as speed is concerned, the phone flies. I haven't had it hang or stutter on anything just yet. You press something, it loads up, simple as that there's no 1+ second wait for the phone app or multitasker app to fire up (which I've had on previous non-Nexus phones) it just flies through the UI. Love it.

Sound: So HTC have been known for a while about its exceptional sound experience and the HTC 10 mostly lives up to its reputation. The twin external speaker setup the 10 has is good, however the HTC One M8 did sound better with the dual front facing speakers. The 10's speaker setup isn't bad, and hearing bass/low freq sounds from the bottom speaker and the vocals/higher pitched sounds from the tweeter is clever, but it's not a 'woah that's awesome' experience. The little woofer on the bottom is cute, but don't expect substantial bass out of it. This is a phone afterall. The headphones however are 'WOW THAT'S AWESOME'. I wasn't really expecting too much with the 'high res' headphones and the new DAC or whatever they're using. I figured the headphones would just be a little louder and that's it, but no, they sound absolutely amazing. The quality is superb for pack-in headphones. It's a shame the US won't be getting them (I believe they won't be anyway).

So the sound from the speakers are good, sound from the headphones are awesome.

Camera: Of the very few images I've taken, I'm really happy with it. The photos are better than the Nexus 6P with images looking well resolved and colours quite nice. Seems like the 10 goes for a very natural and true-to-life representation of the image rather than over sharpening and oversaturating. I'm currently on the 1.21 software, and I know the 1.30 software update has camera tweaks. I'm already very happy with the current camera, it's very good.

Battery: Too early to make any definitive statements about it, but using it normally, the battery doesn't drain too much. However I will say that quick charge 3.0 is the real deal. It charges SO fast. Just a few minutes on the charge will juice it up substantially. USB type C also helps avoid the hassle of needing to put the cord in the right orientation. It might not sound like a big deal, but it is a nice convenience.

So those are my first impressions of the phone. Overall it does extremely well in all aspects. There doesn't seem to be anything that sticks out that looks like a fault or even as a personal gripe. Hardware is good, software looks great and runs great, great camera, great sound etc. Granted this is still in the honeymoon period where everything looks great so I'll have to revisit this thread in a month or so once it has all sunken in and maybe some negatives start to reveal themselves. But as of now, I think the phone is excellent and HTC have done an excellent job this time round.

uploadfromtaptalk1462361534857.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462361551494.jpguploadfromtaptalk1462361565385.jpg

Last edited:

itsavwmodel

May 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 owners first impressions/review thread

Interesting review. Although I've ordered the HTC 10 I'm sure I'll miss the remarkable stereo speakers' quality on the M8....:-(

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Interesting review. Although I've ordered the HTC 10 I'm sure I'll miss the remarkable stereo speakers' quality on the M8....:-(

Maybe, maybe not. While this isn't the dual front facing speakers of the M7/M8/M9, it's probably the next best thing. The quality is excellent and speaker quality is better than the Nexus 6P (which distorts when at max volume and has an overall tinny sound to it), so the HTC 10 is better there. But the direction of the speakers and that the woofer does a little but doesn't change the dynamics of the sound output too much I guess.

These are definitely better speakers than the S7 and G5 though. The S7 speaker is really quite poor, but I think that's due to the waterproofing or something.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

So the HTC 10 has been released in certain regions and currently shipping out in others. I thought I'd start a thread for those who own the HTC 10 to post their first impressions.

Previous Phone: Nexus 6P
Purchased: Carbon Grey, 32gb

So I picked up my HTC 10 today have set it up and been playing with it for on and off during a 12 hour period and thought I'd give my initial impressions:

Build/Hardware: Extremely good. I've had a long history of Android phones from all different manufacturers, but I've always felt that HTC were best in the business when it came to their hardware design and build and the 10 looks and feels excellent. The metal is smooth, the phone feels super solid, has a great heft to it, the chamfered edge on the back surprisingly gives it a bit of extra grip (the texture of the chamfered edge is ever so slightly different from the rest of the phone). The phone is a really nice size and the curved back makes the phone really comfortable in the hand. Coming from the Nexus 6P, the size of this phone is very welcome as it's very easy to reach all parts of the screen without stretching or having to use two hands. The power button had a really accentuated texture to it so you'll never mistakes it for the volume rocker and all buttons are very clicky, which I love.

Display: Excellent. Love the display more than the 6P's display. The whites are far truer whites (Nexus has a slightly blue hue to it) and colours still pop but aren't oversaturated as I find AMOLED displays to be. Add to that the blacks are extremely deep for an LCD display. The screen looks great. I don't know what makes AMOLED supposedly superior. Maybe people like extremely saturated displays, but I don't. I've ways found the colours too intense on the S6, Note 4 and Nexus 6P I own/owned previously. This is a touch more natural while still looking very vibrant and punchy.

Software/Performance: It's essentially stock Google with a few Sense tweaks. If you like stock Android, then you'll like this. HTC have really pulled back on the software and only made enhancements where the phone benefits such as the camera which looks to be quite powerful with a lot of tools. As far as speed is concerned, the phone flies. I haven't had it hang or stutter on anything just yet. You press something, it loads up, simple as that there's no 1+ second wait for the phone app or multitasker app to fire up (which I've had on previous non-Nexus phones) it just flies through the UI. Love it.

Sound: So HTC have been known for a while about its exceptional sound experience and the HTC 10 mostly lives up to its reputation. The twin external speaker setup the 10 has is good, however the HTC One M8 did sound better with the dual front facing speakers. The 10's speaker setup isn't bad, and hearing bass/low freq sounds from the bottom speaker and the vocals/higher pitched sounds from the tweeter is clever, but it's not a 'woah that's awesome' experience. The little woofer on the bottom is cute, but don't expect substantial bass out of it. This is a phone afterall. The headphones however are 'WOW THAT'S AWESOME'. I wasn't really expecting too much with the 'high res' headphones and the new DAC or whatever they're using. I figured the headphones would just be a little louder and that's it, but no, they sound absolutely amazing. The quality is superb for pack-in headphones. It's a shame the US won't be getting them (I believe they won't be anyway).

So the sound from the speakers are good, sound from the headphones are awesome.

Camera: Of the very few images I've taken, I'm really happy with it. The photos are better than the Nexus 6P with images looking well resolved and colours quite nice. Seems like the 10 goes for a very natural and true-to-life representation of the image rather than over sharpening and oversaturating. I'm currently on the 1.21 software, and I know the 1.30 software update has camera tweaks. I'm already very happy with the current camera, it's very good.

Battery: Too early to make any definitive statements about it, but using it normally, the battery doesn't drain too much. However I will say that quick charge 3.0 is the real deal. It charges SO fast. Just a few minutes on the charge will juice it up substantially. USB type C also helps avoid the hassle of needing to put the cord in the right orientation. It might not sound like a big deal, but it is a nice convenience.

So those are my first impressions of the phone. Overall it does extremely well in all aspects. There doesn't seem to be anything that sticks out that looks like a fault or even as a personal gripe. Hardware is good, software looks great and runs great, great camera, great sound etc. Granted this is still in the honeymoon period where everything looks great so I'll have to revisit this thread in a month or so once it has all sunken in and maybe some negatives start to reveal themselves. But as of now, I think the phone is excellent and HTC have done an excellent job this time round.

View attachment 226437View attachment 226438View attachment 226439

Nice review :) I've went from the S7 edge to the G5 - was really hoping to hold out until the next Nexus is released, but the M10 looks really tempting. How does it compare in hand to the likes of the M7, M8 & M9 (whichever one you've previously had)

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site

Great review man! I'm very happy you got your 10 already and it's suiting you nicely. I can wait to get mine in the mail and see how much of an upgrade it is from the m8.

Posted via the Android Central App

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Nice review :) I've went from the S7 edge to the G5 - was really hoping to hold out until the next Nexus is released, but the M10 looks really tempting. How does it compare in hand to the likes of the M7, M8 & M9 (whichever one you've previously had)

I had the M7 and M8, I skipped on the M9. The 10 feels better than both of those.

The M7 and M8 were quite slippery in the hand (especially the M8). The M7 had pretty hard corners whereas the M8's were very smooth and very small. The HTC 10 seems like a blend of both. It's corners aren't really sharp, and the chamfer actually helps with the grip. The fleshy parts of your fingertips tend to 'stick' to the chamfer. If you hold one, you'll understand what I mean.

I like how HTC curve the back of their devices. It feels very comfortable and natural in the hand. I personally like it. I've read reviews where they call it chunky or whatever, but I mean we're talking a millimetre or two and the size and weight of the device kind of add to the premium feeling of it. I remember when I first held the S6 when I got it, it was so thin and so light, it felt hollow. Didn't exude that 'premium' feel that HTC phones had. This definitely feels premium, but if phone weight and thickness are a concern for you, then you may want to look at other devices.

As far as pure looks go, I still feel that the HTC One M7 was the best looking phone I've ever seen, and while I like the HTC 10's looks a whole lot, I still think the M7 looks the best. Maybe it's nostalgia, but seeing the metal build, the (symmetrical!) dual front facing speakers, the super clean metal unibody back, I loved it. I think the back of the HTC 10 looks better than the One M7, but the One M7's front looks better than the HTC 10's front.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Excellent review! I'm even more excited for mine to arrive now. Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience.

sunbath1

May 2, 2016
Visit site

Nice review! However it is not available yet in Hongkong.

How about the HTC Hi-Res earphone? Any good?

Thanks

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Great review and thanks for sharing. I'm still on the fence but want to see some additional end user reviews before I commit.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

As others have said, nice review and thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the phone.
Not jealous at all that you got your phone early :) but good on yer mate.

In regards to battery life, can you post any Gsam pics (or stock if you don't use GSam) for battery usage. Not yet, maybe in a day or two. First days is never a great indicator for battery life since we all like to play with our new toys, plus the phone is busy syncing a bunch of stuff.

Sounds like a great phone though and also cannot wait for mine to arrive now.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Do let us know when you get the 1.3 update. The Android Central update review gives me hope hope hope! Need to hear it from a user too.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Nice review! However it is not available yet in Hongkong.

How about the HTC Hi-Res earphone? Any good?

Thanks

Yeah, I commented in them in the Sound part. They're excellent. The DAC and headphones are the best I've heard on a phone. If you can get a model with the high-res earphones, try to snap that up.

As others have said, nice review and thanks for sharing your initial thoughts on the phone.
Not jealous at all that you got your phone early :) but good on yer mate.

In regards to battery life, can you post any Gsam pics (or stock if you don't use GSam) for battery usage. Not yet, maybe in a day or two. First days is never a great indicator for battery life since we all like to play with our new toys, plus the phone is busy syncing a bunch of stuff.

Sounds like a great phone though and also cannot wait for mine to arrive now.

Yes I will update with battery stats when I get a chance. From very early impressions, battery life seems good, but not outstanding. Again, too hard to make a call on it just yet, will take a few solid days to really test it out.

Do let us know when you get the 1.3 update. The Android Central update review gives me hope hope hope! Need to hear it from a user too.

Yeah will do. I know that 1.30 update has been released on the Taiwan models, but not sure when Australian models are due to receive it.

What came in the box ? Headphones?

Charger, cable for charger, high-res headphones, sim eject tool and papers do to do with setup or whatever.

JBeef

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

What's the quick launch camera method like? Is it quick? Reliable? Cheers.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

What's the quick launch camera method like? Is it quick? Reliable? Cheers.
Pretty quick. It seems to require the gyro to be activated first (like the double tap to wake) so you have to move the phone/lift it up then the touch sensor on the phone activates, then you can double tap to wake or double swipe down to activate the camera.

If the phone is flat on a table and you swipe down without the phone moving, the camera won't activate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon