the screen polarization is a deal breaker

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Wait, so this screen is polarized in a way that you can't see the screen vertically but can horizontally? If so, that's the opposite of the LG G4 and is worse in my opinion. I can tolerate it on my G4 mainly because I'm usually not looking at it horizontally with my sunglasses on.

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
All LCD screens are polarized. It is just which angle they are designed with. You'd need AMOLED screen to avoid it.

Except somehow the Huawei P9 completely avoided this. None of the polarization issues of the G5 or HTC 10. (Enough to make me think maybe it's really AMOLED?)

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Phil wasn't kidding when he said the polarization makes use with sunglasses impossible. I like this phone a lot, but bit being able to use with sunglasses on is a huge problem.

Not impossible like the G4 in landscape, but it's not good. Cranking the bright ness up all the way helps. It's as if HTC (and LG on the G5) did something to try to mitigate this, but it's still tough.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a couple of you tone videos demonstrating that anti glare screen protectors can help mitigate this, so going to try that. If it doesn't work it's going back.

It's just disappointing because this phone is great, but I could keep using my a9 until the next nexus confess out.

But LCD needs to die

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Not impossible like the G4 in landscape, but it's not good. Cranking the bright ness up all the way helps. It's as if HTC (and LG on the G5) did something to try to mitigate this, but it's still tough.

And the V10 as well. Mine is unusable in landscape with my sunglasses, certainly a bummer in my car dock. Thought I was going crazy, thanks to you and Jerry for the explanation.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My HTC One X was the same. Completely dark in one angle(can't remember which way). My current One M9 seems to be 45 degrees. But the screen doesn't looks as vibrant as one X.
I assume one can make a circular polarized film to resolve this issue. This is certainly an added cost.

Last edited:

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
My HTC One X was the same. Completely dark in one angle(can't remember which way). My current One M9 seems to be 45 degrees. But the screen doesn't looks as vibrant as one X.
I assume one can make a circular polarized film to resolve this issue. This is certainly an added cost.

A film won't change the way the screen polarization interacts with sunglasses. If it's at the same angle, it won't affect it, if it's 90 degrees off, then it will block the screen. The M8 is the same way, but it's never been an issue because both of my car mounts rotate, and I use Google maps in the car in landscape mode. Of course, the benefit to the M8 is that it's brighter than the S7 Edge, so you can still make it out in portrait mode. The 10 is not quite as bright, but I guess they were trying to keep their color gamut accuracy from blowing out, or keep the contrast ratio numbers high. I prefer landscape mode for in the cars anyway, but that does not help the person reading the news in the sun ;)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
A circular polarizer, often used by many (D)SLR camera users, can change the polarization from planer to circular. Hence may help in this case.

Update: here is a proof of concept of mine. On the bottom is my Nexus 5 in landscape orientation. I put one of my circular polarizer on top the screen in the middle. Then I took this picture through my polarized sunglass. You can see the portion of the screen inside the circular polarizer is much brighter than other areas which are darkened due to polarization. DSC04882.jpg

Last edited:

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I have to agree. I can't see the screen at all. How did this slip through in 2016. What is a really intriguing device is ruined for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 doesn't have this issue. Is it a different kind of screen? I know lower res but I thought it was the same tech

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Note 3 doesn't have this issue. Is it a different kind of screen? I know lower res but I thought it was the same tech
Most Samsung devices use AMOLED screens. Only LCD screen has this polarization problem. And it is not new regardless how some claimed.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I just installed spigen crystal screen protector and my screen is noticeable brighter and the screen protector is the best. Look very thin and easy bubble free installed. You don't even know that screen protector on top. Highly recommend.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I just installed spigen crystal screen protector and my screen is noticeable brighter and the screen protector is the best. Look very thin and easy bubble free installed. You don't even know that screen protector on top. Highly recommend.

Did you have any issues seeing the screen with polarized sunglasses?

Posted via the HTC 10

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
A circular polarizer, often used by many (D)SLR camera users, can change the polarization from planer to circular. Hence may help in this case.

Update: here is a proof of concept of mine. On the bottom is my Nexus 5 in landscape orientation. I put one of my circular polarizer on top the screen in the middle. Then I took this picture through my polarized sunglass. You can see the portion of the screen inside the circular polarizer is much brighter than other areas which are darkened due to polarization.

Great example!

A third (circular this time) polarization film is applied to things like fish finders (it gets bright out there) to make sure it can be seen from almost angle and it's bright.

It's also possible that some high-end phones have a separate circular filter over the display, but I don't know of any. Since it has to be the top layer of the display, it would need to be really thin high-grade glass to register touches. Probably pretty expensive

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I'll finally get my hands on it Tuesday, we'll see if the polarization is an issue. If it is, guess I wait for a OnePlus Three or maybe a Nexus.

electriclarryland

May 1, 2011
Visit site
My M9 had the same problem with polarization but in the horizontal position. My HTC 10 is unreadable in the vertical position, but I like the phone enough that I can learn to read it horizontally when I have to.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll finally get my hands on it Tuesday, we'll see if the polarization is an issue. If it is, guess I wait for a OnePlus Three or maybe a Nexus.

You will have to wait until HTC switches over to use AMOLED screens which probably not gonna happen anytime soon. The one and only HTC phone that used AMOLED screen is the original Google Nexsus One, IIRC.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
You will have to wait until HTC switches over to use AMOLED screens which probably not gonna happen anytime soon. The one and only HTC phone that used AMOLED screen is the original Google Nexsus One, IIRC.

That's actually not true. The HTC A9 released a few months ago has an amoled panel.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My M9 had the same problem with polarization but in the horizontal position. My HTC 10 is unreadable in the vertical position, but I like the phone enough that I can learn to read it horizontally when I have to.

My M9 has some polarization problem but it never goes really dark. I suspect it is somehow 45 degree. My One X and Nexus 5 goes complete dark. So are my car radio LCD screen and navigation screen if I tilt my head a little.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay