Camera Horrible in Low Light at Concert...

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Was at a concert last night and man was the camera having an impossible time taking pictures of the stage without blowing everything out and i would just end up with blurry blobs. If I manually adjusted the picture to reduce the light input all of the way, I could get some OK shots. I can't give my wife this phone until we get an update as she will take 2 pictures in Auto in a dark environment and decide the camera blows.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Was at a concert last night and man was the camera having an impossible time taking pictures of the stage without blowing everything out and i would just end up with blurry blobs. If I manually adjusted the picture to reduce the light input all of the way, I could get some OK shots. I can't give my wife this phone until we get an update as she will take 2 pictures in Auto in a dark environment and decide the camera blows.

What software version are you on?

Posted via the Android Central App

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you're going to find many smartphones that handle situations like that well but, that said, I've been having great success with low-light performance and was surprised that it pretty much gives me what my eye sees (the can reveals the same amount of light and detail that I'm seeing in the room without being over-exposed). Spend some time getting used to the exposure adjustment while shooting (flick it up once or twice) and see if it helps. Adjusting once the photo is taken is not as effective.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Some sample photos would be nice to see?

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll post some later, I'm not at home now...And the concert was good... My wife's iPhone 6 didn't exhibit any of the same issues s the HTC 10, it focused on the stage fine.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a concert sound engineer, and I don't care what smart phone camera you use, with the shear brightness of the new moving lights and super bright L.E.D.'s we use, it's almost impossible to take a decent picture.....to many lights shining towards the camera. You can get into settings and help, buts in a bright concert environment, it's really hard. With everything moving and lights changing, focus is really tough, not to mention exposure......

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Concert photography is difficult with dedicated cameras unless you have fast lenses so forget about taking photos with a phone unless you happen to be close up and the lighting is optimal.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I remember the last time I went to a concert was when I had a Nexus 5... that didn't go so well! I've been wanting phones to get better at low light photography ever since.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I remember the last time I went to a concert was when I had a Nexus 5... that didn't go so well! I've been wanting phones to get better at low light photography ever since.

The small sensors in a phone make it impossible to gather enough light and maintain sharp images. The small lens size is a factor also. There would have too be a major breakthrough in sensor technologies for it to happen.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
You guys are missing the point. My wife's iPhone 6 in auto was able to take some pretty decent pics without messing with any settings, while the HTC 10 caused too much light to be let in by Auto mode making everything a bright and blurry mess. When I manually adjusted the 10 settings I was able to take better pics.I'm pretty sure that is what the 1.3 update is supposed to address.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
You guys are missing the point. My wife's iPhone 6 in auto was able to take some pretty decent pics without messing with any settings, while the HTC 10 caused too much light to be let in by Auto mode making everything a bright and blurry mess. When I manually adjusted the 10 settings I was able to take better pics.I'm pretty sure that is what the 1.3 update is supposed to address.

They do understand what you're saying, but they're asking for pics.

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This is the problem with many reviews regarding cameras... many people don't even understand the limitations or basic photography to give any advice but the Internet gives us all a voice anyways...

You don't have to learn all of photography but starting with how metering works will improve your photos

elshagon

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I think part of the problem is the HTC 10 camera doesn't always produce a good photo in full auto mode. It seems settings need to be tinkered with for best results under different conditions. Full auto mode with HDR on tends to blowout highlights while raising the shadows. Pro mode shot in jpg results in smaller compressed jpg's vs just shooting in normal mode. HTC needs to desperately update and improve their firmware and settings. But if concert shots are being blown out then you can always manually adjust the camera to compensate. But for normal users they will want and need the auto mode to do better.

rdcamero

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I have thought about getting the HTC 10 but wanted to see how it did in situations like this.I have a S7 now and it does a good job with photos and HD videos at most of the shows.This is a local band so I am always up close to the stage which definitely helps.Only time it has ever give me a problem was when a white light was shining on the singers face and the S7 keep blowing it out.looking forward to seeing some pics.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia