VZW contract exp, what are my options?

GNS1310

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to get away from my $100+ bill, but I want to upgrade (from my M7) to the 10.
Do I stick with VZW and get a discounted phone and maybe hassle them a bit about my bill?
Switch to TMobile and buy the 10 outright?
Switch to Straight Talk and buy the phone?

Thanks for any help!

GNS1310

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
VZW is best.
Obviously Straight Talk would be the same.
TMobile is pretty good around here as well.
The other networks aren't good around here.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
AFAIK, you can still buy the phone from VZW for full price and switch to a plan that does not include phone subsidy. This typically will save you $25/mo or so on the bill but you have to pay up front for the phone. All four carriers now offer un-subsidized plans and also offer monthly payment option for phones that is separate from your plan.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you do the math, its about the same if you buy up front or if you take the contract. The contract raises the price $20-$30 month (at least my last did with the M7). The cost of the phone is the same monthly. The difference is when you finish paying the phone the $20+ goes away. If you continue after two years they dont lower your price so you are still paying that subsidy. Alternatively, after the contract ends, change to a lower plan. I knocked $20-$30 off my bill that way. Bottom line, no difference if you are careful.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get away from my $100+ bill, but I want to upgrade (from my M7) to the 10.
Do I stick with VZW and get a discounted phone and maybe hassle them a bit about my bill?
Switch to TMobile and buy the 10 outright?
Switch to Straight Talk and buy the phone?

Thanks for any help!

Are you on an Unlimited Data plan? If not, then how much data do you typically use per month? The HTC 10 is $27 per month if you don't buy it outright.

Example:
$27/month for phone
$20/month line access fee
$45/month 3GB data plan

$92/month, not including tax or insurance or any potential employer discounts

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you do the math, its about the same if you buy up front or if you take the contract. The contract raises the price $20-$30 month (at least my last did with the M7). The cost of the phone is the same monthly. The difference is when you finish paying the phone the $20+ goes away. If you continue after two years they dont lower your price so you are still paying that subsidy. Alternatively, after the contract ends, change to a lower plan. I knocked $20-$30 off my bill that way. Bottom line, no difference if you are careful.

Not exactly the same. For $25/mo extra on average, you are paying for $600 in two years + whatever you paid for the phone which is probably in the range of $200. That's $800 for two year. IIRC, you can get phone for full price on Verizon for less than $600 with promotion. Or if you wait a year, you can typically get one for $300 or less. So, for example, I got my M9 new for $250 this year. Next year, I will be able to get HTC 10 for $300 as well. No need to pony up $600+ for every new phone.

GNS1310

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2GB plan with VZW. I never go over but I also am on WiFi at home and work and don't use the phone much or at all in the car.
Would like to switch to unlimited.
Wondering what kind of deal I can with VZW since I've been with them forever.

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2GB plan with VZW. I never go over but I also am on WiFi at home and work and don't use the phone much or at all in the car.
Would like to switch to unlimited.
Wondering what kind of deal I can with VZW since I've been with them forever.

Talk to Verizon and talk to T-Mobile and compare similar plans and prices. I switched from Sprint to T-Mobile about 2 years ago and never looked back. If you do go via the T-Mobile route you don't have to buy the phone outright, you can pay for it monthly.

Also, I was able to buy the unlocked HTC 10 from HTC and have it up and running just by popping my sim card in :) T-Mobile has the added benefit of having unlimited text and data when outside the US. I don't travel that much outside the US but when I do it is great to know that my phone still works with text and data without any additional fees.