HTC 10 not recognising wma files

A

AC Question

Just got the HTC 10. It's a great phone but I'm a bit disappointed that a lot of the apps I used on my M8 aren't present on the the 10. The biggest one for me was the stock music app and widget. I've found and downloaded the apks for these. The phone isn't recognising my music, most of which are wma files. Is there away to get the 10 to recognise and play these files?

The converters I've tried only seem to do convert one at a time. With over 5000 songs on my SD card this isn't practical. I've tried poweramp and such and while these work they won't allow me to choose my music as a ringtone, alarm or notification

Is there something I can do to my HTC 10 that will wma to be recognised and played?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! According to the official specs, WMA is not natively supported: HTC 10 Specs and Reviews | HTC United States. If you're able play them using PowerAmp, that's presumably because of specific codecs for PowerAmp--but I don't think you'd be able to use them for the phone's native media player.

The M8 did have native WMA support. Presumably, they decided to leave it off on the 10 due to WMA becoming relatively outdated (or perhaps there's some kind of licensing issue).

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
There's no shortage of great, free music players out there. If you don't want to convert your wma files, I'd take Diddy's advice and get an alternate player. Seems odd that they'd drop it but, as was said, maybe it's a licensing thing.

Steve c6

May 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm dissapointed that HTC have dropped the music player from the M8. Using a third party app is fine but it doesn't resolve the issue of not being able to select wma files as a ringtone, alarm or notification. It seems that all converters will only convert songs one at a time and I really don't want to convert over 7000 songs one at a time.

It all seems so unnecessary just for the sake of a bit of code. If there is no way to get the 10 to recognise wma files I'll be sending my phone back and getting a Samsung.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I dud just with my windows 10 computer it did it adinaruly when I transfered then over. it just converted the ones that would not play such as ma4.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oscar Lagos

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Just got the HTC 10. It's a great phone but I'm a bit disappointed that a lot of the apps I used on my M8 aren't present on the the 10. The biggest one for me was the stock music app and widget. I've found and downloaded the apks for these. The phone isn't recognising my music, most of which are wma files. Is there away to get the 10 to recognise and play these files?

The converters I've tried only seem to do convert one at a time. With over 5000 songs on my SD card this isn't practical. I've tried poweramp and such and while these work they won't allow me to choose my music as a ringtone, alarm or notification

Is there something I can do to my HTC 10 that will wma to be recognised and played?
Say issue here I got HTC 10 & I'm pissed cuz can't play wma files

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Of course when I copied things over it didnt likesome of my mp3 so the 10 asked me if it wanted me to convert it to WMA format then wouldnt play it! Gotta love it.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just listened to WMA last night! As a matter of fact, I listened to the whole album. Next to Rearviewmirror and Indifference, it's my favorite song on the entire album.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I just listened to WMA last night! As a matter of fact, I listened to the whole album. Next to Rearviewmirror and Indifference, it's my favorite song on the entire album.

I'm like you I've had some WMA files that I can play on my 10.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm like you I've had some WMA files that I can play on my 10.

I was joking. W.M.A. is a Pearl Jam song off their second album. But I really had listened to it the night before, if that's any consolation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol