Adoptable Storage?

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not. I just have music on my SD and like it to be portable, just in case. There seems to be a lot of people who prefer adoptable (aka adorable) storage though.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm using adoptable storage just so I can help if anyone has questions.
The only real advantage is in moving apps to SD.
The disadvantage is that you can't use the card in another phone unless you reformat it. That means any media saved to the card must backed up to computer via USB if you don't want to lose it.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Fun fact: You can format to adoptable, and then switch back to "normal" (or whatever you wanna call it) on the fly, on device, if you change your mind. Which is what I did.

JimBen73

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Which SD cards do you guys recommend, I'm looking for a good card in case I want to make it adoptable.

brought to you by the power of 10

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Which SD cards do you guys recommend, I'm looking for a good card in case I want to make it adoptable.

brought to you by the power of 10

I've read nothing but good things about the SanDisk 200giggers. Mine has been excellent thus far. It's stuffed to the gills and plays my music just fine.
Might be more than you need but seeing as how they're down to $85, it's not a big investment over a 128gb. The SanDisk is reported to handle 4k video just fine and is fast enough for adopting too.

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Fun fact: You can format to adoptable, and then switch back to "normal" (or whatever you wanna call it) on the fly, on device, if you change your mind. Which is what I did.

That's good to know. I just might give it a try...im curious to know, will switching to adoptable storage make my phone faster? I appreciate the feedback Phil, thanks!

htc 10

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
That's good to know. I just might give it a try...im curious to know, will switching to adoptable storage make my phone faster? I appreciate the feedback Phil, thanks!

htc 10
You shouldn't see any performance difference either way. However, I'd you move apps to SD it may affect how those apps run as even the fastest memory cards will still be slower than internal memory.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I use adoptable storage. For me I like having one large amount of storage to download movies and what not. If and when I need to move items I can always plug my phone into my computer.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
For media generated on the phone like photos and videos; since there is no stock gallery app are those files retrievable using the adoptable storage? This would be in order to have the original files saved to another drive.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
For media generated on the phone like photos and videos; since there is no stock gallery app are those files retrievable using the adoptable storage? This would be in order to have the original files saved to another drive.
Yes, you can transfer them using a USB cable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana