Notifications turn down volume of streaming audio...

Grimace421

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Sorry if this question is a repost but I did some searching and didn't find anything related to my question.

If I'm playing any audio on my phone (whether it be YouTube, Play Music, any audio whatsoever) and a notification comes in, it will decrease the volume of the streaming audio, play the notification, then turn the volume back up on the audio. This annoys the hell out of me. I rather it just play the notification sound over the top of the audio without adjusting the volume of the audio. I'm not sure if this is an Android, Sense or HTC 10 "feature" but I'm not a fan.

I went through all of the settings I could think of to adjust it and I can't find anything. I'm hoping that I'm over looking a simple checkbox or setting to turn this off.

Is there anyway to stop notifications from adjusting the volume of the audio that I'm playing?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this question is a repost but I did some searching and didn't find anything related to my question.

If I'm playing any audio on my phone (whether it be YouTube, Play Music, any audio whatsoever) and a notification comes in, it will decrease the volume of the streaming audio, play the notification, then turn the volume back up on the audio. This annoys the hell out of me. I rather it just play the notification sound over the top of the audio without adjusting the volume of the audio. I'm not sure if this is an Android, Sense or HTC 10 "feature" but I'm not a fan.

I went through all of the settings I could think of to adjust it and I can't find anything. I'm hoping that I'm over looking a simple checkbox or setting to turn this off.

Is there anyway to stop notifications from adjusting the volume of the audio that I'm playing?

This happens to me as well. It doesn't bother me though. I believe this to be something that Android does. To make sure you know that you are getting a notification. Playing the notification at the same volume as the audio that is currently being played would perhaps cause some clarity issues. I am not aware, nor have I seen a setting to turn this off.

Grimace421

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response!

I'm really hoping there's a way to change this. I usually end up rewinding whatever I'm watching/listening to because of this. I've never had a problem in the past hearing my notification over my audio. Now when it turns the audio down and plays a notification, I can then no longer hear the audio.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Check out the app Don't Pause! in the app store. Works fine, but adds another notification.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Most of my phones have behaved in this way. If you have the phone on vibrate it won't do this anymore.

weepatc

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
It is the latest android trait. Works this way when phone calls come in or alarms are set to go off while listening to audio.

KenDroid

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I use the "Do Not Disturb" option and select "Alarms Only". I still get notifications(texts, emails, alerts, etc....) but I don't get any sound for notification alerts so my music plays interruption free.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Every phone I've used does this. It's the purpose of turning on a notification, to notify you. If it's causing you problems I'd just do what was mentioned earlier and kill the ringer vol. Or, just turn off notifications for things you don't want to be notified by and manually check those accounts when convenient.