RAW enhancement

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I like the RAW enhancement feature in the Google Photos app. Most of the time it seems to improve upon the base image. However, I sometimes get a better result manually editing the photo. When I do this, it seems once I hit "save" the app only saves my adjustments as settings. It doesn't save the image as a new jpeg file with those adjustments applied, and I don't see how to save as such. Likewise, what if I like the RAW file without further adjustments? How can I simply save the file as a jpeg? Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A jpg is a RAW file with changes, so you can't save one as the other. (A RAW file is the file as read from the CCD in the camera - no enhancements, no failures. A jpg file is a compressed file with some enhancements and changes. One isn't the other. A RAW file "saved as" a jpg file is a jpg file.)

As for saving the RAW file and the jpg file as separate files, some apps allow you to do that (save the RAW file, edit it, save that as a jpg file - picture.raw isn't the same file as picture.jpg - they won't interfere with each other), others don't. Start installing camera apps that handle RAW images.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
As for saving the RAW file and the jpg file as separate files, some apps allow you to do that (save the RAW file, edit it, save that as a jpg file - picture.raw isn't the same file as picture.jpg - they won't interfere with each other), others don't. Start installing camera apps that handle RAW images.

ProShot is a good one for this. I'm pretty pleased with the results so far.

lontano

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your responses. It seems odd that an app would allow me to manually edit a RAW file and but not save the results as a jpeg. I tried an app called Snapseed that allows me to make minimal manual changes to a RAW image and save as a jpeg, so I'm good. Thanks again.

Posted via the Android Central App