Phone performance, as a phone to talk to people ...

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I am eyeballing the 10 as a purchase and feel confident that I understand all of the specs and such....that being said, I would like to know the device performs as a phone. I am a T-Mobile customer and have tried to stay with Motorola devices because of their performance as a phone - I am ready to move on from Motorola. I know tower proximity matters, as does indoors versus outdoors as does other variables - Does the device have a good recpetion in general? Has anyone noticed an improvement or decline in recpetion/clarity during normal usage from your previous device? If so, which device did you previously use? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
It's ok as a phone. I would often have trouble hearing the ring in the earpiece and would turn the volume up only to be blown out when the person answered. Sometimes people would sound muffled when they don't sound that way on other devices. Overall as a phone it's a bit worse than my iPhone 6S and the Galaxy S7. Reception in general is on par with the above two devices.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had the opposite as the poster above. I have had the HTC 10 for a month been using it for a week straight and everyone sounds very clear and very loud much better than my HTC M9. I also get a lot better signal than my HTC M9 did Everywhere I Go I think it's all around a great phone fast fluid. Also really great for gaming 2.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
It's ok as a phone. I would often have trouble hearing the ring in the earpiece and would turn the volume up only to be blown out when the person answered. Sometimes people would sound muffled when they don't sound that way on other devices. Overall as a phone it's a bit worse than my iPhone 6S and the Galaxy S7. Reception in general is on par with the above two devices.

Thanks for the feedback

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I have had the opposite as the poster above. I have had the HTC 10 for a month been using it for a week straight and everyone sounds very clear and very loud much better than my HTC M9. I also get a lot better signal than my HTC M9 did Everywhere I Go I think it's all around a great phone fast fluid. Also really great for gaming 2.

Thanks

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Got an unlocked which was an upgrade from an M8. Reception is definitely better since M8 did not have access to the new T-mobile spectrum acquired over the last 1-2 years. As an example, my sister lives about 25 miles from downtown San Antonio. I was lucky if I saw 4-5mbps on the speedtest app. Saw 70+ last time I was there. Same for the grocery store I usually go. While inside, the phone would drop to 2G with no internet. Speedtests have given about 2-3mbps now, but still way better than what I had before.

Call quality itself has been good on phone and speaker, though when talking, it mainly tends to be over the bluetooth in the car.

OS itself is silky smooth. M8 was a lot laggier. Really happy I upgraded.

Nancy Will

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Tmo in an area that was refarmed to band 12 in the last 7 or 8 months. The 10 does not have as strong a radio as the M9 it replaced. I get much weaker signal overall and that includes WiFi. This is the Tmo version as opposed to the unlocked and it's still sitting on version 1.21.531.1. The weaker radio was mentioned early on in relation to the unlocked version and IIRC an update improved it. I'm hopeful that when HTC and Tmo see fit to update this phone there will be some improvement in signal strength. At this point, I'm rather disappointed.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Tmo in an area that was refarmed to band 12 in the last 7 or 8 months. The 10 does not have as strong a radio as the M9 it replaced. I get much weaker signal overall and that includes WiFi. This is the Tmo version as opposed to the unlocked and it's still sitting on version 1.21.531.1. The weaker radio was mentioned early on in relation to the unlocked version and IIRC an update improved it. I'm hopeful that when HTC and Tmo see fit to update this phone there will be some improvement in signal strength. At this point, I'm rather disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback, especially about the T-Mo considerations.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
Got an unlocked which was an upgrade from an M8. Reception is definitely better since M8 did not have access to the new T-mobile spectrum acquired over the last 1-2 years. As an example, my sister lives about 25 miles from downtown San Antonio. I was lucky if I saw 4-5mbps on the speedtest app. Saw 70+ last time I was there. Same for the grocery store I usually go. While inside, the phone would drop to 2G with no internet. Speedtests have given about 2-3mbps now, but still way better than what I had before.

Call quality itself has been good on phone and speaker, though when talking, it mainly tends to be over the bluetooth in the car.

OS itself is silky smooth. M8 was a lot laggier. Really happy I upgraded.

Thanks for the feedback. If I do end up purchasing the 10, it will be unlocked direct from HTC. I was concerned about radio quality because unlocked phones direct from manufacturer typically do not have wifi calling access on T-Mo.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 10 unlocked and use it on T-Mobile. I have had it for a month and my experience has been great. I live in N. Scituate RI and do not get great signal out here in the middle of nowhere. The 10 has been great because it supports T-Mobiles wifi calling and voice over LTE. I just got the S7 on Verizon from work Monday and have found the call quality to be better on the 10. Bluetooth connectivity for my car is better on the 10. Voice over LTE seems to be better on the 10 when compared during my drives in the greater Boston area. I deliver and install food service equipment to restaurants all over New England and have been using both at the same time(communicating with my wife and family on the 10, and the S7 is used all day to communicate with customers, the office and project managers.) Overall, I give the win to the 10. Especially as a phone. As well as battery life. The S7 is on the charger while the the 10 lasts all day. The 10 is also used a lot more with more of the hardware radios functioning at once.

Digitally assigned space taken up by my Chromebook, M9, HTC 10 or Nexus 9 <(•.•)>

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought it unlocked and I am on T-Mobile (thanks for the pizza and movie T-Mo!) and thought it sounded muffled and hard to hear. My signal was not as strong as other phones have been. It's fine, but not the best.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought the 10 unlocked and use it on T-Mobile. I have had it for a month and my experience has been great. I live in N. Scituate RI and do not get great signal out here in the middle of nowhere. The 10 has been great because it supports T-Mobiles wifi calling and voice over LTE. I just got the S7 on Verizon from work Monday and have found the call quality to be better on the 10. Bluetooth connectivity for my car is better on the 10. Voice over LTE seems to be better on the 10 when compared during my drives in the greater Boston area. I deliver and install food service equipment to restaurants all over New England and have been using both at the same time(communicating with my wife and family on the 10, and the S7 is used all day to communicate with customers, the office and project managers.) Overall, I give the win to the 10. Especially as a phone. As well as battery life. The S7 is on the charger while the the 10 lasts all day. The 10 is also used a lot more with more of the hardware radios functioning at once.

Digitally assigned space taken up by my Chromebook, M9, HTC 10 or Nexus 9 <(•.•)>

Thanks man!

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought it unlocked and I am on T-Mobile (thanks for the pizza and movie T-Mo!) and thought it sounded muffled and hard to hear. My signal was not as strong as other phones have been. It's fine, but not the best.

Thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10