Stolen HTC 10

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I contacted HTC support through live chat on their site. I had boughten it through them and was told they can't do anything, so what?

Last edited by a moderator:

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Did you have "Find my Android" installed?

Contact your carrier to have it blacklisted (and maybe replaced if you have a warranty that covers stealing, like an insurance claim) and file a police report.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Did you have "Find my Android" installed?

Contact your carrier to have it blacklisted (and maybe replaced if you have a warranty that covers stealing, like an insurance claim) and file a police report.
I'm not sure about blacklist on carrier side. Last I spoke to them. They can't black list. Maybe it's different now.

mauiblue

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site
I lost my HTC M8 about a month ago. I had Cerberus installed and tracked it but as soon as the person who "found" it realized the phone could be tracked, the person turned the phone off. I was able to send the commands to wipe the phone before the phone was turned off. I also went to my Google account and sent a wipe command from the Google account. I don't know what any one can do with a phone that the serial number that is tagged lost/stolen.

If the OP phone was activated and signed on/registered on their Google account at least they can send the wipe command from there and even track the phone. Other than that, make a claim on Asurion...that is if the phone was insured. The phone was insured, right?:eek:

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I got it and just popped my sim card in it. :/ It was my secondary phone and I came back to my car and it was gone. (Last time I leave my windows cracked, or anything on the seats...)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure about blacklist on carrier side. Last I spoke to them. They can't black list. Maybe it's different now.
Carriers can blacklist if it is a carrier variant, regardless of where it was purchased.

Now if you bought a Carrier free phone then, I don't think that a carrier can block the phone for you.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Carriers can blacklist if it is a carrier variant, regardless of where it was purchased.

Now if you bought a Carrier free phone then, I don't think that a carrier can block the phone for you.
It's was five years ago. I got scammed Nokia 710 on eBay. Called CS and she said we can't blacklist the phone. I guess she need to do better at her job lol.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Carriers blacklist phones when it suits there purpose: primarily if someone walks away from a contract and doesn't pay the early termination fee.

Other than that, why should/would they get involved? Take *your* word that *your* phone has been stolen? For all they know, you may be trying to prank somebody.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Carriers blacklist phones when it suits there purpose: primarily if someone walks away from a contract and doesn't pay the early termination fee.

Other than that, why should/would they get involved? Take *your* word that *your* phone has been stolen? For all they know, you may be trying to prank somebody.

Actually stolen phones get blacklisted as well.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually stolen phones get blacklisted as well.

Correct, carrier phones get blacklisted if you report them stolen to the carrier.

Now the question I have is on non carrier phones... Not sure what happens but I doubt that a carrier would blacklist something not under their control

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Correct, carrier phones get blacklisted if you report them stolen to the carrier.

Now the question I have is on non carrier phones... Not sure what happens but I doubt that a carrier would blacklist something not under their control

Yes, I should have added that. But again, the carrier has no interest in *your* problems, only their own interests.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
And that is why there are laws about blacklists, sharing them, etc. etc. They're forced to care ;).

I would say that carriers share blacklists more so they can block those who don't pay the bills.

But also... The more blocked phones the more people would have to buy other phones.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I should have added that. But again, the carrier has no interest in *your* problems, only their own interests.
Well they have a financial gain too... Because you can't use that stolen phone on any USA Network. So you would have to buy another phone if you wanted to use it in the USA.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I contacted HTC support through live chat on their site. I had boughten it through them and was told they can't do anything, so what?

You mean you "bought" it. :)

I don't see why you'd think HTC would be able to help. If everyone called a manufacturer (of any product) and said their items were stolen and they want a new item, no company would be in business because everyone would be calling to get their free replacement.