Why don't they want us using memory cards?

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I keep running into apps that tell me there's no permission to use the sd.. Example, sending a photo from my SD to Skype gets the error.. Few other apps too..

I know there's the whole format sd as internal storage process but why'd they change it to begin with?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Either the photo app or Skype hasn't properly implemented support for SD cards. The system as a whole was changed because it was a fairly huge security hole.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I keep running into apps that tell me there's no permission to use the sd.. Example, sending a photo from my SD to Skype gets the error.. Few other apps too..

I know there's the whole format sd as internal storage process but why'd they change it to begin with?

Maybe look in your setting on Skype and see if you can tick 'external storage' use.
You shouldn't need to format the SD card so it looks like its internal storage. Everything should be fine.

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, so I do a lot fiddling on my computer and isn't this "Adaptive Storage" nothing more than a RAID 0 array?

Not necessarily A raid 0 array is linking two hard drives together. Adoptable storage doesn't the same link to hard drive together that actually tricks the system of Android thinking that the SD card as part of the internal system hence why dads both the internal and the SD card together to make one pool storage. Hence why I have 96 gigs on my HTC 10 instead of 59.6 Skittles and 28 6th. And as long as after voters develop their app to be able to be put onto the internal storage as well as be able to switch between different storage types you can put the whole entire app onto the SD card. Like I have I have about 6 gigs of apps on my SD card. But the actor does have to develop to be able to switch to different storage types.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
When you say fast how fast of an SD card. Like a Samsung evo + or faster yet?

I have heard alot of issues with the evo plus. I have the 128gb and havent had an issue with mine. You just want to make sure it's a class 10 SD card. A write speed of 90 or higher is sufficient for adoptable storage. Sandisk makes really good as cards. Keep in mind that while the card says 128 you only get 120 they don't follow the same classification of other storage types.

BlueAlchemy17

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily A raid 0 array is linking two hard drives together. Adoptable storage doesn't the same link to hard drive together that actually tricks the system of Android thinking that the SD card as part of the internal system hence why dads both the internal and the SD card together to make one pool storage. Hence why I have 96 gigs on my HTC 10 instead of 59.6 Skittles and 28 6th. And as long as after voters develop their app to be able to be put onto the internal storage as well as be able to switch between different storage types you can put the whole entire app onto the SD card. Like I have I have about 6 gigs of apps on my SD card. But the actor does have to develop to be able to switch to different storage types.
OK, so then not RAID 0. But then what about the external SD not being usable outside the specific phone? Is that just until you reformat the SD card? And I'm guessing that making the SD card recognized as internal also requires a formatting.