Moving from HTC One M8 to HTC 10 - a few questions

jjsararas

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
First, I'm on Bell (in Canada) in case that makes any difference.

I love the 10 but sad that it appears the Sense keyboard is discontinued. I loved:
-When you hit backspace after an unwanted autocorrect, it returned the word to what you had originally typed.
-The arrow/cursor keys are gone! Am I missing something? Why are my beloved arrow keys gone?
-Using the Google widget, search results opened in Chrome disappear when you hit back. Why wouldn't they remain in Chrome as any other open page?
-I loved the way Google Photos on the M8 automatically sync'd every photo from the SD card, and I could switch SD cards with no negative effects. My main concern - now that Google Photos IS the gallery app - is what happnes (duplication issues?) when I pull the SD card from the M8 and stick in the 10. What's the best order of operations to move the SD card over?

Any other M8->10 migrants that could share any resources? HTC live chat is very useless.

Thanks!

Last edited:

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I use Swift key and you can have the arrows back. Google photos works great, syncs quickly and edits great. I don't really miss HTC Gallery much, expect for face fusion....

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
if u touch the touchpal icon on the keyboard and hit edit it brings arrows and let u select, copy, paste, etc

just in case u decide to continue using the keyboard

Geezerb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait.. since when is HTC Gallery available for the 10?? Been waiting on this since release. I hate Google Photos.
I've had it since the first day. Not 100% same but does enough for me. You have to d/l & install from a 3rd party site. Do a search

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Wait wait wait.. since when is HTC Gallery available for the 10?? Been waiting on this since release. I hate Google Photos.
It works, but since my card is formatted as removable storage, I can't save any edits. Face fusion is not on the version I have either...

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Basically anything that differentiated the HTC except for sense itself is essentially gone. All the good HTC apps, configurations, whatever. No need to get HTC anymore as its all google.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Just did. Still like the albums there waaaay more than Photos. Not sure why SD card wiritng doesn't work. went in and enabled that permission.
It doesn't work for anyone. You can't save edits, if your photos are saved on your card. I'm getting used to Google Photos for editing now.....

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I am also debating if I should replace my M8 with the new 10...but I love my M8. Any regrets?
I loved my M8, replaced that with a M9, after it was updated and fixed. I really liked it at that point too. I think the M10 is the best yet. The camera is fantastic. Sense is leaner, and works fine. I love the headphone audio. Being able to create different profiles for all of your earbuds is great. The external speakers aren't as loud as the M8/9, but I never used them anyway.... I recommend taking the plunge. It's just a great phone.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I loved my M8, replaced that with a M9, after it was updated and fixed. I really liked it at that point too. I think the M10 is the best yet. The camera is fantastic. Sense is leaner, and works fine. I love the headphone audio. Being able to create different profiles for all of your earbuds is great. The external speakers aren't as loud as the M8/9, but I never used them anyway.... I recommend taking the plunge. It's just a great phone.
Thanks for your answer. I do use the external speakers, constantly but from what I've read the 10 still has better than average external speakers sound quality. I actually really like the M8 camera, particularly by night but it's probably because I've never owned the 10. One question, though: the M8 is still pretty fast and smooth. Is the 10 significantly faster when installing / opening apps, multitasking, scrolling...?
I'm debating if I should spend 50 euros replacing the battery (it has gotten worse after these 2 years of heavy use) or 600 on the HTC 10.
Cheers

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. I do use the external speakers, constantly but from what I've read the 10 still has better than average external speakers sound quality. I actually really like the M8 camera, particularly by night but it's probably because I've never owned the 10. One question, though: the M8 is still pretty fast and smooth. Is the 10 significantly faster when installing / opening apps, multitasking, scrolling...?
I'm debating if I should spend 50 euros replacing the battery (it has gotten worse after these 2 years of heavy use) or 600 on the HTC 10.
Cheers
It's been a while since I used the M8, but the M10 is super fast and smooth. It really is a step up.......

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
All phones seem slow until you go back to a slower one. It never opens fast enough to not wait some. Once you get used to it it becomes "slow".

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
All phones seem slow until you go back to a slower one. It never opens fast enough to not wait some. Once you get used to it it becomes "slow".
But I think he's right. The M8 is still pretty fast but from the reviews I've seen on YouTube the HTC 10 is supersonic.
My other question now is if I should buy the HTC 10 or if the smaller Google Pixel is a better buy. I love htc but I was wishing for nexus kind of updates for a while. Let's wait for some proper reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol