Still confused about how to install Magisk/Automagisk on my HTC 10

Cyber Akuma

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to Google this but am a little confused on all the steps I need to (and don't need to) take at this point, especially since I am a little behind. So I wanted to ask for help on forums, if anyone is willing to give some advice on this.

First of all, I have a Sprint version of the HTC 10. I don't know if that matters or not (I recall back when I was trying to figure out the original Magisk, someone mentioned that a Sprint model HTC 10 could be an issue, but I am not sure why).

Also, so far all I have done in terms of rooting it is:
- Use the HTC Bootloader unlock
- Install TWRP Touch Recovery with the option of not modifying the system partition (From what I understand, this would cause it to be a temporary install that would go away after a reboot, but it seems to have stayed installed)
- Perform backups with TWRP
- Flash the SuperSU zip with TWRP

And... that's it, still on stock ROM and everything, didn't install anything else that depends on root like Xposed or whatever (That wasn't automatically installed by TWRP or SuperSU or something was it?). I am pretty sure root access is working because two of my apps (Titanium Backup and Chase) tried to request it, and I can see those requests in SuperSU, but other apps don't seem to act like I am rooted. Namely, Google Pay.

From what I understand, Google Pay is not supposed to work if you have root due to that SafetyNet API. However, when I start Google Pay, I see no error message or anything, it seems to work. Granted, I haven't added a credit card to it yet, does the error only happen when you try to make a payment or try to add a card or something? Or should I see it on starting the app? Did I somehow inadvertently setup my phone in a way where root is not being detected?

I also seem to be getting conflicting information on how I should install everything. The guide I followed for rooting my phone said to install SuperSU by flashing the zip, not through the app store.... but the guide for Magisk seems to claim to uninstall SuperSU and install phh's Superuser from the app store. Is there a reason I should do this one way, or another?

Also, all the guides for Magisk say that it is heavily recommended that I reset my phone to stock system, and I really can't reset the data on my phone. Can it be done without erasing anything? I am unclear what resetting to "stock system" would do exactly.

It sounds a little too simple: Uninstall SuperSU and install Superuser (though the method I should do it through is not clear), flash Magisk through TWRP, and then flash AutoMagisk through TWRP. I feel like I am definitely forgetting steps. That, and if somehow I am getting past SafetyNet with Android Pay I don't want to mess with something that might break however I managed to pull it off.

Another worry is breaking my cellular radio. I remember that SuperSU for a while did something (or rather, didn't do something with encryption that the HTC 10 needed which resulted in the cellular radio not working once it was flashed, and that for a while there was a special fork of SuperSU for HTC 10 phones to fix this until the main SuperSU app implemented it. I have no idea if Superuser or Magisk also could cause this issue. Does anyone have any idea?

Oh, and finally, my phone is complaining that an update is available, has been complaining for a while, update 1.80.651.6. Can I safely install this OTA update while rooted? Will it remove or break root if I do? And would it be recommended to install it now before I mess with Superuser and Magisk, or after?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze