Any battery life issues?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm about to receive a HTC 10 phone but I'm nervous about battery life long term. So since the phone has been out since Mayish I thought I would ask of anyone has noticed if there battery life has shortened since they first got the phone. I have the HTC M8 and it took about 18 months for the battery to finally fail on me so I should expect the same, but I now that the HTC 10 is more demanding than the M8.

henrykrinkle

May 9, 2015
Visit site
i've only had mine since August or so but no issues at all. Actually came from a Galaxy 7 Edge and, surprisingly, get slightly better battery life (according to Gsam stats). I average around 1d 5hrs per complete charge, 3.5 hours screen on time.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
i've only had mine since August or so but no issues at all. Actually came from a Galaxy 7 Edge and, surprisingly, get slightly better battery life (according to Gsam stats). I average around 1d 5hrs per complete charge, 3.5 hours screen on time.
Wow that's good to know thanks! I have been living with my HTC M8 that dies at 20-30% which means I only got about 70% battery capacity. Good to hear that you're enjoying good battery life...I hope HTC will one day adopt removable battery...in fact maybe the Samsung note 7 fiasco might be the industry game changer that might get more companies to think about removable batteries...

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine for months and the battery has been fantastic. My M8 was never even half this good.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Not even when you first bought the M8? When I bought the M8 it was still on 4.4.2 and battery life was stellar.

No, not even close. I just put a brand new battery in my M8 because my wife uses it and it's still no where near the 10's battery life. I've had three 10's and the batteries were consistently great in all of them.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
No, not even close. I just put a brand new battery in my M8 because my wife uses it and it's still no where near the 10's battery life. I've had three 10's and the batteries were consistently great in all of them.
How much did you pay for the replacement? Did you do it yourself or at a repair shop?

Cheers

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
one thing to do to prolong battery life is do your best to avoid excessive heat on the device and avoid rapid charging as that too will cause heat buildup.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
How much did you pay for the replacement? Did you do it yourself or at a repair shop?

Cheers

I did it myself. Can't remember what the replacement cost but I got one of the better ones available. It's a serious PITA to replace them so only do it if you're DIY inclined. I build audio gear and still found it a challenge.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a gently used one 3 months ago so I'm a second owner, but battery is really good. I start each day (8am) at 100% full charge and have no problem going to midnight each evening. As always tho individual usage does vary so YMMV, but yeah, it's a very decent battery life device.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I did it myself. Can't remember what the replacement cost but I got one of the better ones available. It's a serious PITA to replace them so only do it if you're DIY inclined. I build audio gear and still found it a challenge.

This is what i am referring to.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Not even when you first bought the M8? When I bought the M8 it was still on 4.4.2 and battery life was stellar.
Have to agree when I first got my M8 I was astounded! I was also on 4.4.2 and I was amazed at the longevity of the daily battery life. Played games, web browsing, videos, music and still had juice at the end of the day. It only started to get worse when I upgraded the OS to 4.4.4 and then lollipop was a disaster and Marshmallow made it better but not KitKat better....

For that reason I won't be upgrading to Nougat 7.0. I actually don't like the way HTC updated the last two versions... They should have re updated lollipop and even current Marshmallow... Instead they updated to the first revision and then stayed there. Everyone knows there were huge memory leak issues with the first revision of lollipop.. Im not sure well see 7.1 after 7.0 is released...

But HTC have put themselves in a weird situation. They have committed to updating to next major os version as fast as possible instead of waiting till the next more stable version of OS is available.... It probably costs HTC a lot of resources and money to update which is why they don't do it too often, someone please correct me if I'm wrong 😃

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree when I first got my M8 I was astounded! I was also on 4.4.2 and I was amazed at the longevity of the daily battery life. Played games, web browsing, videos, music and still had juice at the end of the day. It only started to get worse when I upgraded the OS to 4.4.4 and then lollipop was a disaster and Marshmallow made it better but not KitKat better....

For that reason I won't be upgrading to Nougat 7.0. I actually don't like the way HTC updated the last two versions... They should have re updated lollipop and even current Marshmallow... Instead they updated to the first revision and then stayed there. Everyone knows there were huge memory leak issues with the first revision of lollipop.. Im not sure well see 7.1 after 7.0 is released...

But HTC have put themselves in a weird situation. They have committed to updating to next major os version as fast as possible instead of waiting till the next more stable version of OS is available.... It probably costs HTC a lot of resources and money to update which is why they don't do it too often, someone please correct me if I'm wrong 😃
I agree with everything you said.
But the M8 won't be officially updated to Nougat, HTC had already warned us.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everything you said.
But the M8 won't be officially updated to Nougat, HTC had already warned us.
Will if HTC aren't going to update M8 I might take the plunge and visit XDA forums for advice on how to root and take my phone back to kitkat 4.4.2.... 😊 There's nothing amazing about Marshmallow apart from Doze and kitkat performance was so good it didn't need Doze!

I would go back to kitkat as that is the best os for that phone... The phone was designed with that os in mind. However the only caveat would be if there are any major security issues to downgrading to kitkat.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Same here. My S7 Edge started to get really bad battery life after 2 months. Tried everything - factory resets, flashing ROMs, cache partion, deleting apps one by one. Nothing worked.

Ditched it for the 10, and I'm averaging 20-21hrs with 4-5.5hrs SOT, depending on my day. What I love, is it's steady. Unless I stream hours of video or game constantly, the battery graph is fairly constant - my S7E graph looked like a staircase. Just gives me that security of feeling that I kinda know where I'm gonna be battery-wise at the end of any given day. Even in the early days with my S7E, I'd sometimes think it would be impossible to kill, and the next day I'd be dropping like a stone for a period of time because of phone radio, or AN Other system app. despite being in the same place all day.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this had been asked already but how do toy avoid rapid charging?

Most devices have an option under battery settings to disable rapid charging.
Another option would be to use chargers rated at 1 Amp or at max 1.5amp.
I still use many of my old HTC, Blackberry and Samsung chargers that are 1 to 1.5 Amp out put so i know the max my phone will draw is that much power.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800