Unlocked vs T-Mobile branded for Calls

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
In reading the AC second opinion 6 month follow up article
HTC 10 second opinion: Six months later | Android Central
and this paragraph caught my attetion.
"Phone calls and network connection are great everywhere I've been except where I live when using T-Mobile. On AT&T, (I'm using the unlocked model) it's great. From what I gather from various sources, network features on T-Mobile are in a bit of a limbo, especially in areas where they are repurposing the older 2G network — like where I live. I don't know all the details but have gathered enough to say this is why T-Mobile quietly stopped selling it. Since I'm not using it as a phone when I'm home, I can deal with it. You might not have that luxury so be on the lookout if you pick one up and use T-Mobile. I just wish whoever needs to fix it will sort it out."

So my question, is he referring to the unlocked version or the T-Mobile version or both?
It make sense that it would affect the TMO version so thats why TMO stopped carrying it, but he references the unlocked version as well.
I am looking to buy a used one and have found a TMO variant and Unlocked variant both for similar pricing. Im leaning towards the Unlocked variant.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been led to believe they stopped selling it because nobody was buying it. Which makes more sense seeing as I've never seen one commercial for it. I tried to buy one from T mobile over the summer but the stores her in south western Illinois didnt have any and said they weren't expecting anymore because they couldn't sell them. I ended up buying an unlocked one from HTC and its worked fine for me. I was pretty bummed when T mobile didn't have it and basically offered no explanation as to why they stopped selling them. The device wasn't even on their website for more than a couple of months before they just stopped. It also took T mobile a long time to even offer it on their website along with the GS7 and Iphone. They really didnt showcase it very much or try to attract any attention to it at all in my opinion. Also, AT&T never offered it at all. I'm guessing because of the bad experience some had with the M9 and low sales. Maybe they weren't willing to give the 10 a chance because of previous devices not selling all that well. Plus, HTC just seems unable to advertise their devices and when they do, they're just really horrible at it.

I dont really have any connection issue with cell coverage in my area. Except at work, but our building is heavily shielded. No one gets good cellular here including Verizon users.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I use an unlocked version on T-Mo and it works just fine. It really just depends on where you live I imagine (I live in Dallas).

Small world, im in Dallas as well and the person im hopefully buying the phone from is too.
Sounds like ill go ahead and buy the Unlocked version this guy got directly from HTC.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"Unlocked" refers to which SIM cards will work in the phone, it has nothing to do with whether the phone will do voice on 3G or use wifi for phone calls. (As opposed to an international version, which is also unlocked, but it doesn't have the same radios as an unlocked TMobile version.)

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked also can have less bloatware on it vs a carrier branded phone which may have tweaks to the system or additional software to handle features.
Case in point Prior to android baking in wifi calling you needed a carrier branded TMO device to handle wifi calling properly.

So are you saying that what was written in the article is wrong? So the article says that the HTC 10 may give some users issues if your in an area with 2g network repurposing. Now you see why i am asking this question. Rukbat since your an Ambassador perhaps you can get clarification from the writer of the article since its an AC article im getting my info from.

Stephen Lammers

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently read on another blog somewhere too that the reason T-Mobile pulled the device quietly was bc the HTC 10 from T-Mobile has connection issues with their refarmed 2G network that now uses LTE. I have issues with my T-Mobile HTC 10 where it loses data connection for no apparent reason. It will say I have 4G but I can't get to the internet. Happens about 10% time where I live. I enable airplane mode and disable and then it says 4G LTE again and everything is fine. It wasn't always like this but now its more persistent.

J R Mtz

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I recently read on another blog somewhere too that the reason T-Mobile pulled the device quietly was bc the HTC 10 from T-Mobile has connection issues with their refarmed 2G network that now uses LTE. I have issues with my T-Mobile HTC 10 where it loses data connection for no apparent reason. It will say I have 4G but I can't get to the internet. Happens about 10% time where I live. I enable airplane mode and disable and then it says 4G LTE again and everything is fine. It wasn't always like this but now its more persistent.

Do you have a link to that blog?
I'm still trying to figure out why this is affecting the 10 and not other phones, and if a fix is possible/coming.

Stephen Lammers

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a link to that blog?
I'm still trying to figure out why this is affecting the 10 and not other phones, and if a fix is possible/coming.

I'm trying to remember where I read that. It wasn't the gist of the article. The person who is somewhat in the know said it as a side note and I was like huh? Maybe that's what my problem is with my 10 on T-Mobile.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I look forward to testing mine and seeing if that happens. I ended up getting the TMO version, not the unlocked like i had lined up.
So far i am impressed with it. Might switch my daily use phone from the s7 edge to the HTC 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy