Google Assistant update fails on HTC 10 if the screen is locked

HTC10user

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
On HTC 10 with Nougat 7.0 (stock) the recent Google Assistant update for the Google app has messed things up completely. The problem is with smart unlock and use of the "OK google" command. It is not possible to use "ok google" or any google assistant functions once the phone has properly locked, despite being configured in the settings so that it should work in that situation. It is possible to use "OK google" functions after the screen times out but before the device locks. After that, when it is fully locked, tapping the screen (or opening the Ice view case) shows the screen with the number pad to enter the pin code. When the number pad screen is present, saying OK Google will not return any result or show the google assistant even though the tone indicates activation of Google assistant. In addition, the padlock is visible behind the key pad screen and you can see it unlocks due to voice unlock or face unlock. However, despite this, google assistant will not work as long as the key pad screen is present. This means I can't use it hands free in the car or at night when the lights are out. All of these problems are resolved by rolling back the Google APP update. Basically, OK Google does not work properly on an HTC 10 if the phone is locked. Any suggestions? Anyone else seen this?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the screen needs to be on for the assistant to work and the HTC 10 is not the only device that has this issue from what I've been learning. My HTC 10 is also the same way. I do not use an ice view case but when it is in sleep mode, screen off it will not wake up by any voice command. I need to nudge it with a double tap or home key press before it will accept voice commands. Really , really annoying at night especially even asking it what time it is it fails to respond unless I pick it up, double tap and then I guess I can read the time myself at that point so it's a massive FAIL in this simple task. Even my iPhone 7's Siri can do this. I'm not at all pleased with the assistant, however the previous version was the same so no change really. I also have the box checked to allow this in the google assistant settings to no avail. Please report back if you can figure out a work around.

Last edited:

HTC10user

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
For me, the previous version does usually activate when the screen is locked so I have rolled back. I use it sometimes at night when its plugged in. I have tried to report this fault to HTC but no response so far. There is also something more fundamentally wrong with Assistant, to do with its ability to 'hear' OK Google. With the screen on, Assistant never seemed to be as good at recognising OK Google, frequently I had to repeat. Then I noticed that if you retrain the command in Assistant, it was taking several goes to get it to register and record each attempt. Then when I rolled back, I retrained again and it instantly recognised each time. Basically, it's a very bad beta implementation. Its just as well I don't rely on the phone and it wasn't expensive...oh wait.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
For me, the previous version does usually activate when the screen is locked so I have rolled back. I use it sometimes at night when its plugged in. I have tried to report this fault to HTC but no response so far. There is also something more fundamentally wrong with Assistant, to do with its ability to 'hear' OK Google. With the screen on, Assistant never seemed to be as good at recognising OK Google, frequently I had to repeat. Then I noticed that if you retrain the command in Assistant, it was taking several goes to get it to register and record each attempt. Then when I rolled back, I retrained again and it instantly recognised each time. Basically, it's a very bad beta implementation. Its just as well I don't rely on the phone and it wasn't expensive...oh wait.
You're saying it works with the older version with screen off and unplugged? Mine never did. Always needed to be plugged in if screen off. Same with assistant, was hoping for better but was disappointed with the assistant being the same issue.

HTC10user

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
To be clear, the old version had no option to respond when locked unless plugged in. The new Google assistant seems to suggest that it does have that option.. but when selected it fails to respond once locked whether it is plugged in or not.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine only responds when plugged in if screen is off. I don't understand this as it acts like it's a built in battery saver feature. I had read others with various devices had the same issue and yet some don't also. SMH. Would it suck that much battery? That's the only reason I can think of to not enable it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie